Re: Guild AGM 2008

  • Mike Bootman
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 23, 2009
      Hi Mike M,

      This relevant 'technological' item in today's (23/01/09) paper:

      http://tinyurl.com/beocgb

      Mike Bootman

      --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Michael Marritt <mikeandpauleen@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Chris
      > I was not decrying the use of modern technology in situations such
      as you describe, in a formal meeting I'm sure they work well. What I
      was trying to put across was that often problems can be ironed out,
      or suggestions discussed more openly over the bar or coffee table, or
      even face to face over dinner. People often say what they really
      think in a relaxing atmosphere, rather than in a meeting where all is
      recorded for posterity. Over the years that I have worked for the
      Guild I can honestly say that the lounge and dining room of the
      Telford Holiday Inn have produced far more satisfying results in
      terms of getting things done than the committee room down the
      corridor.
      > Isn't that why so many business men enjoy a round of golf together?
      > Mike

      > Message Received: Aug 10 2008, 11:22 PM
      > From: chrisbasten@...
      > To: Gauge0@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [Gauge0] Re: Guild AGM 2008
      >
      > Hi Mike,
      > At least once a month, I attend a meeting with up to 6 other people
      in up to four locations at the same time, all through a wonderful
      piece of technology called a vidcon.
      > Believe it or not, there is such equipment in Carmarthen (!!!) and
      after a bit of getting used to, we now have the same arguments,
      discussions etc as we would have at a face to face meeting (though
      the pub is a bit empty afterwards :-( )
      > It even gives a full screen picture of the person(s) actually
      taking at the time, then cuts automatically to the next speaker and
      so on. As costs plummet, perhaps something that can be looked at in
      the long term.....and even the Overseas Rep can take part.
      > Best wishes
      > Chris
      >
      > Message Received: Aug 10 2008, 09:14 AM
      > From: "Mike Bootman"
      > To: Gauge0@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Gauge0] Re: Guild AGM 2008
      >
      > Hello Mike,
      >
      > Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'll be brief as I'm away from
      > home and will be out of touch for the next week.
      >
      > Second point first - excellent and it already appears to be
      welcomed
      > by comments already posted - shame it cannot be implemented before
      > 2010 now. Presumably you and Ian have already considered and make
      > recommendations on how the nomination, selection and election
      > processes will operate?
      >
      > First point second - I worked for an international but US-owned
      > computer company and ran a virtual team across EMEA (Europe, Middle
      > East and Africa) deploying remote system monitoring - we rarely met
      > but did all work by e-mail and telephone. At the same time I was
      part
      > of a product development group, representing EMEA with the sponsor
      > organisation in Broomfield, Co. and the development teams in
      various
      > locations in California. I went to Broomfield a couple of times for
      > an all-Geos conference but everything else was done remotely.
      Whilst
> [...]
      >
      > Mike Bootman
      >
      > --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Michael Marritt ...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike
      > > The report presented by Ian and myself sees an enhancement of the
      > Conreps role, not any dissolution.
      > > However, we concluded that the Overseas Representative should
      > remain a resident of the UK, basically on the grounds of finance.
      > Whilst we appreciate that modern communications via Internet, e-
      mail
      > and telephone would enable a member domiciled outside of the UK to
      > keep in touch on a regular basis, there would be very few occasions
      > when he would be able to meet his colleagues on the Council face to
      > face, and it is in such 'off the record' discussions that much of
      the
      > Guild business is done, prior to any formal meetings. Any problems
      > can be much easier to iron out in this way. Web cams have their
      uses,
      > but they can't yet detect the mood of a meeting. From a financial
      > point of view would the membership be prepared to subsidise a
      flight
      > from say Australasia, or even the west coast of N. America? I
      suspect
      > not.
      > >

      > > I doubt if I am revealing any confidentialities if I say that we
      > propose that the Overseas Representative should be elected by the
      > Overseas membership, in a similar way to the UK Constituency
      > Representatives, which under the current Rules is not the case.
      > (Rule 4-1-3 applies) This was one of the more obvious Rules in need
      > of change.
      > > Mike

      > > Message Received: Aug 07 2008, 03:42 PM
      > > From: "Mike Bootman"
      > > To: Gauge0@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [Gauge0] Re: Guild AGM 2008
      > >
      > > I know that the comprehensive review has now been drafted by Mike
      > > Marritt and Ian Kirk, and consideration has been deferred until
      > 2008-
      > > 9 year.
      > >
      > > Is it not too late for, or perhaps the report already includes,
      > > recommending that ConReps (if still in existence) should be
      > proposed,
      > > seconded and elected solely by their Constituents (with the board
      > > have a veto only for good and just reasons), and that an overseas
      > > member should no longer be barred from such a position in these
      > days
      > > of modern communications, whereby they could participate by web-
      > cam,
      > > Skype conference call, etc.?
      > >
      > > Mike Bootman
      > >
      > > --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, John y Christine Smith .>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Although no longer a member, the nomination of John Evans as
      > > overseas rep just confirms me in my decision to cease
      membership.
      > > > WHERE IS THE NEW BLOOD?
      > > > One somewhat disgruntled ex member of the Gauge 0 Guild.

    • Mike Bootman
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 23, 2009
        Hi Mike M,