Guildex and the AGM

  • Ian Kirk
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
      Hi All,

      Got back about midnight last night after a successful (tradewise) show. Have heard some mixed comments on Guildex this year- indeed there is a thread running on the 7mm group - I think the organisers were trying to cut back on some of the expense after last years very expensive event. Looked a little bit as if the cut back in layouts was a bit more than the reduction (if any) in the space. Certainly we had fine wide aisles which made it look relatively "quiet". What the actual attendance was like I have yet to hear.

      Thanks again to those who favoured me with their proxies for the AGM there were no "contentious" votes but I feel that the numbers of proxies give greater weight to any decision.The meeting came within a whisker of not having a quorum on the floor so the proxies would have been vital.

      The minutes were amended, not as much as I might have wanted but given the problems of collective memory after a year has lapsed probably as much as I could have expected. Roger Asbrook/Ashworth/Ashford spoke on his memories of the meeting and should at least get his name spelt correctly in the amended version. The vote on the election of Committee chairmen should be corrected (the "without dissent" being removed and the votes cast against Mr Evans being recorded) The fact that Mr Evans asked for an opinion on a legal point from then Guild soicitorMr Pickford has been added. The wording attributed to Mr Evans was left as is because there being no definative record (recording etc. ) to refer to it would be impossible to prove at this late date exactly what was said. I made a statement in which I acknowledged the problems of memory but stated that the "impression" I had had on the day was that he was claiming a legal requirement for the retention of these powers and that this was what was confirmed. I added that at least four of my proxies had indicated that they too had this "impression" and that one had stated that he had changed his voting intentions in the light of this. At that point we left it to proceeed with the rest of the meeting.

      best wishes,

      Ian

    • Mike Bootman
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        Ian,

        Thanks for that, an open and encouraging response to questions that
        were difficult to answer without a contemporaneous record. The barely
        quorate situation is indicative of the lack of general interest in
        such matters these days; until there is a sea change in attitudes all
        round (in society, not GOG) there will be an increasing democratic
        deficit.

        So how did the rest of the meeting "proceeed", or even go on?

        Mike Bootman

        --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kirk" <iankirk@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Got back about midnight last night after a successful (tradewise)
        show. Have heard some mixed comments on Guildex this year- indeed
        there is a thread running on the 7mm group - I think the organisers
        were trying to cut back on some of the expense after last years very
        expensive event. Looked a little bit as if the cut back in layouts
        was a bit more than the reduction (if any) in the space. Certainly we
        had fine wide aisles which made it look relatively "quiet". What the
        actual attendance was like I have yet to hear.

        > Thanks again to those who favoured me with their proxies for the
        AGM there were no "contentious" votes but I feel that the numbers of
        proxies give greater weight to any decision.The meeting came within a
        whisker of not having a quorum on the floor so the proxies would have
        been vital.

        > The minutes were amended, not as much as I might have wanted but
        given the problems of collective memory after a year has lapsed
        probably as much as I could have expected. Roger
        Asbrook/Ashworth/Ashford spoke on his memories of the meeting and
        should at least get his name spelt correctly in the amended version.
        The vote on the election of Committee chairmen should be corrected
        (the "without dissent" being removed and the votes cast against Mr
        Evans being recorded) The fact that Mr Evans asked for an opinion on
        a legal point from then Guild soicitorMr Pickford has been added. The
        wording attributed to Mr Evans was left as is because there being no
        definative record (recording etc. ) to refer to it would be
        impossible to prove at this late date exactly what was said. I made
        a statement in which I acknowledged the problems of memory but stated
        that the "impression" I had had on the day was that he was claiming a
        legal requirement for the retention of these powers and that this was
        what was confirmed. I added that at least four of my proxies had
        indicated that they too had this "impression" and that one had stated
        that he had changed his voting intentions in the light of this. At
        that point we left it to proceeed with the rest of the meeting.

        > best wishes,
        >
        > Ian

      • Roger Ashbrook
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          Ian, I'd just add that the meeting was conducted in a new friendly open and
          helpful way I thought, with the President and the Chairman and Treasurer
          keen to get things right. As to the quorate - I probably contributed to the
          problem by sloping off part way through, but overall I thought those who
          wanted to support the new improved guild were there. with some obvious gaps
          from the past. Roger
        • Pearman Books
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            Perhaps the Minutes (in draft) will be published on the Forum whilst those
            that were there can remember what happened.

            Bob Pearman
            > Thanks for that, an open and encouraging response to questions that
            > were difficult to answer without a contemporaneous record. The barely
            > quorate situation is indicative of the lack of general interest in
            > such matters these days; until there is a sea change in attitudes all
            > round (in society, not GOG) there will be an increasing democratic
            > deficit.
            >
            > So how did the rest of the meeting "proceeed", or even go on?
            >
            > Mike Bootman
            >
            > --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kirk" <iankirk@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi All,
            >>
            >> Got back about midnight last night after a successful (tradewise)
            > show. Have heard some mixed comments on Guildex this year- indeed
            > there is a thread running on the 7mm group - I think the organisers
            > were trying to cut back on some of the expense after last years very
            > expensive event. Looked a little bit as if the cut back in layouts
            > was a bit more than the reduction (if any) in the space. Certainly we
            > had fine wide aisles which made it look relatively "quiet". What the
            > actual attendance was like I have yet to hear.
            >>
            >> Thanks again to those who favoured me with their proxies for the
            > AGM there were no "contentious" votes but I feel that the numbers of
            > proxies give greater weight to any decision.The meeting came within a
            > whisker of not having a quorum on the floor so the proxies would have
            > been vital.
            >>
            >> The minutes were amended, not as much as I might have wanted but
            > given the problems of collective memory after a year has lapsed
            > probably as much as I could have expected. Roger
            > Asbrook/Ashworth/Ashford spoke on his memories of the meeting and
            > should at least get his name spelt correctly in the amended version.
            > The vote on the election of Committee chairmen should be corrected
            > (the "without dissent" being removed and the votes cast against Mr
            > Evans being recorded) The fact that Mr Evans asked for an opinion on
            > a legal point from then Guild soicitorMr Pickford has been added. The
            > wording attributed to Mr Evans was left as is because there being no
            > definative record (recording etc. ) to refer to it would be
            > impossible to prove at this late date exactly what was said. I made
            > a statement in which I acknowledged the problems of memory but stated
            > that the "impression" I had had on the day was that he was claiming a
            > legal requirement for the retention of these powers and that this was
            > what was confirmed. I added that at least four of my proxies had
            > indicated that they too had this "impression" and that one had stated
            > that he had changed his voting intentions in the light of this. At
            > that point we left it to proceeed with the rest of the meeting.
            >>

            >> best wishes,
            >>
            >> Ian

            > You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            > 09:14

          • Martin Long
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
              Dear All
              May I say that Mr Ashbrook or whoever he is, was the biggest of several hooligans present!
              As a result the meeting was very enjoyable with ots of banter.
              The medication had obviously worked through by then proving that care in the community really works.
              Thanks for the fun.
              Martin Long

            • bruce562901
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                The one thing that Ian omitted in his comments was that the AGM was
                videoed by Chris Simpson, with a call to suspend proceedings whilst
                he changed tape, so there is an accurate record available for
                posterity.

                Bruce Pinchbeck

                --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Pearman Books" <pearman.books@...>
                wrote:

                > Perhaps the Minutes (in draft) will be published on the Forum
                whilst those
                > that were there can remember what happened.
                >
                > Bob Pearman

                04/09/2007
                > > 09:14

              • Brian Lewis
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Well I was perhaps an 'obvious gap'.

                  Truth is, at around noon, my leg pains just got the better of me and
                  Mrs. L whisked me home in the car. After five days of being away, it
                  really was good to be home. Sorry about that.

                  Regards

                  Brian Lewis

                  Roger Ashbrook wrote:
                  > Ian, I'd just add that the meeting was conducted in a new friendly open and
                  > helpful way I thought, with the President and the Chairman and Treasurer
                  > keen to get things right. As to the quorate - I probably contributed to the
                  > problem by sloping off part way through, but overall I thought those who
                  > wanted to support the new improved guild were there. with some obvious gaps
                  > from the past. Roger
                  >

                  > You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jim Snowdon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                    With regard to the comment about the level of attendance at the AGM, I note that it was held on the Sunday. The group I generally go to Telford with always elect to go in the Saturday, if only because there are too many traders where if you do not get in quick, they have sold out of the very thing you really wanted. We aren't unique, and as I observed this year, when I had no option but to go on the Sunday for once, the attendance was visibly much lower. Having attended many two day shows as an exhibitor, the effect is not confined to Guildex, but is common to virtually all two-day events.

                    Given that, would it not make more sense to hold the AGM on the Saturday afternoon instead?

                    Jim

                  • Mike Bootman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Pain in the leg; that's a bit lower than usual Brian;?)

                      Hope you've satisfactorily recovered since?

                      Mike B

                      --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Brian Lewis <brian@...> wrote:

                      > Well I was perhaps an 'obvious gap'.
                      >
                      > Truth is, at around noon, my leg pains just got the better of me
                      and
                      > Mrs. L whisked me home in the car. After five days of being away,
                      it
                      > really was good to be home. Sorry about that.
                      >

                      > Regards
                      >

                      > Brian Lewis
                    • Brian Lewis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                        Hmmm...... It is a bit better, but never really goes away completely.
                        This is partly the reason we have given up going to shows, (although we
                        will be at the Guildford Reading Show in December).

                        Mrs. L and I really enjoy being behind the stall, chatting to our
                        friends, some of whom even spend cash money with us, (OK, not Jim
                        Guthrie). But the setting up and breaking down is crippling.

                        Regards

                        Brian Lewis

                        Carrs – C+L Finescale.

                        www.finescale.org.uk <http://www.finescale.org.uk/>

                        Tel: +44 1 275 852 027

                        Fax: +44 1 275 810 555

                        Mike Bootman - clearly not in an anally retentive mood, wrote:
                        > Pain in the leg; that's a bit lower than usual Brian;?)
                        >
                        > Hope you've satisfactorily recovered since?
                        >
                        > Mike B
                        >
                        > --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Brian Lewis <brian@...> wrote:
                        >> Well I was perhaps an 'obvious gap'.
                        >>
                        >> Truth is, at around noon, my leg pains just got the better of me
                        > and
                        >> Mrs. L whisked me home in the car. After five days of being away,
                        > it
                        >> really was good to be home. Sorry about that.
                        >>

                        >> Regards
                        >>

                        >> Brian Lewis
                        >

                        > You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Jim Guthrie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                          On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:26:50 +0100, you wrote:

                          >Mrs. L and I really enjoy being behind the stall, chatting to our
                          >friends, some of whom even spend cash money with us, (OK, not Jim
                          >Guthrie)

                          I was just discussing with Mrs. G the other night the aquisition of a
                          mansion, after winning the lottery, to house a complete model of
                          Euston and its approaches - such that the purchase of track components
                          would keep a certain trader quiet :-)

                          First, win the Lottery :-)

                          Jim.
                        • Brian Lewis
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                            More orders! More orders! I will not be gagged............