Re: Anticipation

  • Mike Bootman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      'Desperation/Pacification/Expectation/Acclamation/ Realisation' - so
      no anticipation and therefore a bit like the review in a way. To
      continue the analogy, were there not also 'Chocolate Cream' for the
      GW type, 'Turkish Delight' for the overseas modeller, and a variation
      on the Chocolate Cream with different flavour fillings in each
      segment for those who couldn't decide (or wanted everything)? Thus
      different offerings for varying tastes, but not necessarily one that
      satisfied all;?)

      I expect that the Gazette might be a few days late, what with the
      postal disruption continuing until August 8th. I too await the formal
      record of last year's AGM with interest. I shall not be making the
      long journey down to Telford this year, so would like to be sure of
      the procedure for appointing an alternate proxy and, if necessary,
      someone to raise points on my behalf.

      Mike Bootman

      --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kirk" <iankirk@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I wonder how many of you can remember the Frys 5 boys chocolate
      bars which were sold from platform machines in the 40s/50s. The name
      came from the five faces moulded in the chocolate, these varied from
      miserable to happy and in the adverts were intended to illustrate the
      stages in which a boy of that period might await the taste of the
      chocolate.
      > I can't remember them all but one of the stages was "anticipation"
      and that came to me as I was thinking about posting something about
      the forthcoming Gazette and the paperwork that will come with it. We
      usually look forward to a Gazette with a degree of anticipation but
      this time I expect it to come with the AGM paperwork (which must be
      sent 28 days or more before the meeting). So within a week we should
      know if the "old clique" have done anything to fight back, who has
      come forward for the vacant posts,what the accounts look like and see
      how last years minutes record the "legal advice"on my resolution
      given to the meeting by John Evans and Robert Pickford.

      > best wishes,
      >
      > Ian

    • bruce562901
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        The other type of chocolate bar that I remeber was the triple, three
        different colour chocolates on top of the other. Tasted good my
        memory tells me. Rather like the both the Guild and the Association:
        different characters combining for a common good!

        Bruce Pinchbeck--- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bootman"
        <mike@...> wrote:

        > 'Desperation/Pacification/Expectation/Acclamation/ Realisation' -
        so
        > no anticipation and therefore a bit like the review in a way. To
        > continue the analogy, were there not also 'Chocolate Cream' for
        the
        > GW type, 'Turkish Delight' for the overseas modeller, and a
        variation
        > on the Chocolate Cream with different flavour fillings in each
        > segment for those who couldn't decide (or wanted everything)? Thus
        > different offerings for varying tastes, but not necessarily one
        that
        > satisfied all;?)
        >
        > I expect that the Gazette might be a few days late, what with the
        > postal disruption continuing until August 8th. I too await the
        formal
        > record of last year's AGM with interest. I shall not be making the
        > long journey down to Telford this year, so would like to be sure
        of
        > the procedure for appointing an alternate proxy and, if necessary,
        > someone to raise points on my behalf.
        >
        > Mike Bootman
        >
        > --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kirk" <iankirk@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I wonder how many of you can remember the Frys 5 boys chocolate
        > bars which were sold from platform machines in the 40s/50s. The
        name
        > came from the five faces moulded in the chocolate, these varied
        from
        > miserable to happy and in the adverts were intended to illustrate
        the
        > stages in which a boy of that period might await the taste of the
        > chocolate.
        > > I can't remember them all but one of the stages
        was "anticipation"
        > and that came to me as I was thinking about posting something
        about
        > the forthcoming Gazette and the paperwork that will come with it.
        We
        > usually look forward to a Gazette with a degree of anticipation
        but
        > this time I expect it to come with the AGM paperwork (which must
        be
        > sent 28 days or more before the meeting). So within a week we
        should
        > know if the "old clique" have done anything to fight back, who has
        > come forward for the vacant posts,what the accounts look like and
        see
        > how last years minutes record the "legal advice"on my resolution
        > given to the meeting by John Evans and Robert Pickford.
        > >
        > > best wishes,
        > >
        > > Ian

      • Ian Kirk
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi Mike,
          thought the last two were: Anticipation and Satisfaction. Which only goes to show that greedy little Kirk probably ate the chocolate before reading the wording. Or more likely that it was all, alas, so long ago! I remember the other bars, but were they not slightly more modern? I am fairly sure that the machine on Kirkcaldy station platform only held one type. Buying chocolate from a machine was a novelty as I think it was still rationed until 1953. They had another machine which for a few pennies embossed letters on a strip of aluminium - one of my early railway modelling successes. Painted blue with the letters picked out in white and a bit of lolly stick at either end and I had station name boards.

          Postal delays could be a problem but it would be best if it is all sent off in plenty time. We would not want to give any ammunition to those who might wish to criticise the current Board. 28 days before the meeting is this coming weekend. Even if we get it by then it is a bit of a scramble to enfranchise the overseas if they want to send a proxy vote.

          You asked about how to set up a proxy. There is a blank form for this on the back of the papers for the AGM that we are currently waiting for. You can set this up blank where you give your named proxy the freedom to vote as he wishes or you can direct his vote by filling in your preferences.
          God willing I will be at the meeting. If you want any points raised I would be happy to try to do this for you. Comments on the accounts, minutes or items on the agenda should be OK but anything for AOB depends on the goodwill of the chair and the patience of the meeting.

          best wishes,

          Ian
          'Desperation/Pacification/Expectation/Acclamation/ Realisation' - so
          no anticipation and therefore a bit like the review in a way. To
          continue the analogy, were there not also 'Chocolate Cream' for the
          GW type, 'Turkish Delight' for the overseas modeller, and a variation
          on the Chocolate Cream with different flavour fillings in each
          segment for those who couldn't decide (or wanted everything)? Thus
          different offerings for varying tastes, but not necessarily one that
          satisfied all;?)

          I expect that the Gazette might be a few days late, what with the
          postal disruption continuing until August 8th. I too await the formal
          record of last year's AGM with interest. I shall not be making the
          long journey down to Telford this year, so would like to be sure of
          the procedure for appointing an alternate proxy and, if necessary,
          someone to raise points on my behalf.

          Mike Bootman

          --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kirk" <iankirk@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I wonder how many of you can remember the Frys 5 boys chocolate
          bars which were sold from platform machines in the 40s/50s. The name
          came from the five faces moulded in the chocolate, these varied from
          miserable to happy and in the adverts were intended to illustrate the
          stages in which a boy of that period might await the taste of the
          chocolate.
          > I can't remember them all but one of the stages was "anticipation"
          and that came to me as I was thinking about posting something about
          the forthcoming Gazette and the paperwork that will come with it. We
          usually look forward to a Gazette with a degree of anticipation but
          this time I expect it to come with the AGM paperwork (which must be
          sent 28 days or more before the meeting). So within a week we should
          know if the "old clique" have done anything to fight back, who has
          come forward for the vacant posts,what the accounts look like and see
          how last years minutes record the "legal advice"on my resolution
          given to the meeting by John Evans and Robert Pickford.

          > best wishes,
          >
          > Ian

        • Bruce Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
            At 18:21 01/08/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi Mike,
            >snipped......Postal delays could be a problem but it would be best
            >if it is all sent off in plenty time. We would not want to give any
            >ammunition to those who might wish to criticise the current Board.
            >28 days before the meeting is this coming weekend. Even if we get it
            >by then it is a bit of a scramble to enfranchise the overseas if
            >they want to send a proxy vote.
            >
            >You asked about how to set up a proxy. There is a blank form for
            >this on the back of the papers for the AGM that we are currently
            >waiting for. You can set this up blank where you give your named
            >proxy the freedom to vote as he wishes or you can direct his vote by
            >filling in your preferences.
            >God willing I will be at the meeting. If you want any points raised
            >I would be happy to try to do this for you. Comments on the
            >accounts, minutes or items on the agenda should be OK but anything
            >for AOB depends on the goodwill of the chair and the patience of the meeting.
            >
            >best wishes,
            >
            >Ian

            All:

            I just posted a message on the G0G Forum asking when the overseas
            members would be getting the information about the 2007 AGM. I will
            let you know what responses I get.

            The last two years a downloadable proxy form was available on the G0G
            web site. I would hope the same would arranged for this year. I
            emailed the proxy to both the to Secretary and the person I nominated
            to hold my proxy at the AGM. This year I will not have to do that
            because I will be at the AGM!

            -
            Bruce Wilson
            Barrie, Ontario
            Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild Member Scale 7 Group
          • Mike Bootman
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
              Ian,

              You're surely not that old:o)

              Chocolate cream apparently first appeared in 1853 in stick form and
              as a bar in 1866, the '5 Boys' advertisement was created in 1882 and
              the eponymous milk chocolate bar in 1905, Turkish Delight in 1914 and
              Tiffin in 1937. Tiffins were a personal favourite, a whole meal in
              bar and they, or a copy, were supplied in packs of 'Compo' rations
              which I experienced as an Army Cadet; the nearest equivalent today is
              the Yorkie Raisin & Biscuit bar (not for girls).

              http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_cadbury/ca
              bury_fry/jsfry_brans.htm

              It seems that Scotland is suffering an additional strike today - no
              postal deliveries - and the BBC reports the Royal Mail disruption is
              being extended for a further 2 weeks. In the circumstances the Board
              should behove itself to consider some positive moves to ensure
              members are not disenfranchised due to actions entirely outwith their
              control, and especially since the publication of the Gazette is so
              very close anyway to the date of the AGM that there is little if any
              slack in the timetable. A good test for them? I wonder how much it
              costs to set up web-based voting, as I use for expressing my
              intentions to boards of companies in which I hold stocks/shares?

              Mike Bootman

              --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kirk" <iankirk@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mike,
              > thought the last two were: Anticipation and Satisfaction. Which
              only goes to show that greedy little Kirk probably ate the chocolate
              before reading the wording. Or more likely that it was all, alas, so
              long ago! I remember the other bars, but were they not slightly more
              modern? I am fairly sure that the machine on Kirkcaldy station
              platform only held one type. Buying chocolate from a machine was a
              novelty as I think it was still rationed until 1953. They had another
              machine which for a few pennies embossed letters on a strip of
              aluminium - one of my early railway modelling successes. Painted blue
              with the letters picked out in white and a bit of lolly stick at
              either end and I had station name boards.
              SNIPPED