Re: [Gauge0] Guildex Ltd

  • Ian Kirk
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hi Brian,

      I know that the Limited Company structure gives these protections and is all quite normal and above board. However this was given as one of the reasons for the formation of Guildex Ltd and I wondered how other members og the Gauge O Guild felt about this. There is a difference between the circumstances where a business, set up in good faith, could for a variety of reasons fail and have it's directors etc. protected and setting up a separate company for the specific purpose of "protecting" the main company in this way. I did not like the thinking behind this, I felt it was unworthy of the Gauge O Guild. The only way it could "protect" the Guild is by providing a stratagem to default on debts incurred should these become too great. I would object to this being done in my name and I suspect that there are other gentlemen (&ladies) in the Guild who would feel the same. I see no reason why Guild Exhibitions, if organised in an economical way and properly budgeted, should be in danger of losing large sums of money anyway but if the worst were to happen I would prefer to "do the descent thing" and at worst call in the small sums (£10) that we all have contracted to guarantee Gauge O Guild Ltd.

      I hope that this thinking and the levels of spending behind it will become a thing of the past if new forward thinking people take command of Events. I note from Board minutes that demonstrators at Kettering cost £1000 in expenses. I also have a set of accounts from another more frugal organisation which show 19 layouts plus demonstrators for £1800 of expenses. Who would you rather have running your shows?

      best wishes,

      Ian
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 10, 2007
        I seem to have started a hare running given the explosion of e-mails in my
        in box!

        Some more thoughts on exhibitions - helpful I hope.

        Yes Pierre I hve organised an exhibition, it was many years ago but it did
        make a �4000 profit. One of the reasons for this and something the Guild
        might want to consider is seeking of sponsorship. I am not talking about the
        Vodafone Gauge O Guild Exhibition but there must be companies that would
        willingly pay for their name to be plastered over the show guide or would
        willingly take advertising space. Yes it would detract from the genuine
        railway traders and traders adverts but it might help to keep costs down if
        indeed they need to be so high.

        I am not able to get to Guildex these days but when I did go the show was
        much smaller and presumably hall costs lower. So some navel gazing needed.
        Do we need such a big show? Could we not tack Guildex onto another event
        such held at a larger venue such as those organised by BRM. The Guild has
        one hall and the rest of the show has another or even another two. All this
        would need to be costed out and a proper budget and forecast compiled but I
        would endorse what Kevin Pearson is saying - it is possible to hold a show
        and make money without ripping everyone off.

        Maybe it is not possible now for members to get in free but a much reduced
        fee might make some think the subs are better value for money. It certainly
        felt that way when I first joined.

        I would be interested in others views about sponsorship in particular.

        regards

        Paul Rowlinson