Hello - Is there anybody there?

  • Mike Bootman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
      A little late but a Happy New Year to all,

      Don't forget there is only until 1 March to post your comments to GOG.
      A good friend of mine suggested sending them to the Secretary direct,
      since they will have to be drawn to the Board's attention that way.

      I'm working on mine...

      Mike Bootman
    • John y Christine Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2007
        Hello Mike,

        Due to a mix up when changing ISP's I was off line for about a month until 29th December when I finally got re-connected. I have been following this thread with considerable interest so had a lot of reading to do when I finally got back on line. I was surprised and a little dissapointed, I must admit, to find the thread literally "dried" in the middle of December and hardly a word since then.

        I have read and re-read the board's letter and have come to the conclusion that under the present circumstances any sort of reply would be a waste of my time. I was never happy with the Company limited by guarentee status and I am certainly far from happy with the proposals now on the table when members of a model railway club start talking about "Executive Directors", "senior managers" and "Teams". As an overseas member, apart from the Gazette which is now becoming an expensive publication costing 5.50 UK pounds per edition, I get little from the Guild in reality. I cannot even find out who the other members are who live in Spain so lack the motivation I need of contact with like minded modellers.

        Since I came to live in Spain, my interest in railway modelling has waned somewhat for this very reason and I am seriously considering whether or not continuing my membership of the Gauge 0 Guild is worth it.

        So I am in the process of considering my options.

        I eagerly look forward, however, to hearing the views of others concerning the Guild review and proposals and hope the htread will liven up again.

        Best regards.

        Jas (Spain)
        Mike Bootman <mike@...> wrote:
        A little late but a Happy New Year to all,

        Don't forget there is only until 1 March to post your comments to GOG.
        A good friend of mine suggested sending them to the Secretary direct,
        since they will have to be drawn to the Board's attention that way.

        I'm working on mine...

        Mike Bootman

      • John Hobden
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2007
          Hello Jas,

          Compare the amount of O Gauge interest in the Gazette with that in the
          general model press at half the price and I suspect the Gazette looks better
          value. You have, in the various e-groups, the sort of camaraderie that was
          the Guild when I first joined over 25 years ago. If only the present
          'management' could relax and embrace the new technology fully then O Gauge
          modelling would be much better for it. John Birch may not be a professional
          but has set standards of response to website issues that would shame many
          companies. Allowing the members more direct participation and freer access
          to information about their club could empower the organisation to regain its
          place as the premier driver of the scale. IMHO the present defensive stance
          is holding back the development of our chosen scale and gauge.

          Do respond to the letter - it is the nearest you have to an opportunity to
          influence policy. I'm almost tempted to rejoin just to try to bring back
          the Guild I once knew - but then would it do any good? OK, don't bother,
          just join the outlaws!!

          John Hobden

        • Mike Bootman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2007
            --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "John Hobden" <john.hobdentsn2000@...>
            wrote:
            > SNIP
            > Do respond to the letter - it is the nearest you have to an
            > opportunity to influence policy. I'm almost tempted to rejoin just
            > to try to bring back the Guild I once knew - but then would it do
            > any good? OK, don't bother, just join the outlaws!
            >
            > John Hobden

            Jas/John/Everyone interested,

            If you do not reply then 'The Management' will take their fortress
            proposals forward with the same specious mandate as that for Scottish
            independence (was it a little over 25% of the less than 50% who voted
            were in favour - something like that anyway?).

            The whole point of democracy is to be heard, and if you don't speak
            then no-one can hear you.

            A simple " I disagree with all the proposals (except point 2),
            especially those strengthening the power and protection of the Board,
            and want GOG to return to it's prime purpose of being a membership
            organisation, serving its members by the promotion, support and
            development of modelling in O and related gauges/scales. I demand a
            fully democratic and inclusive process where the entire membership
            has every opportunity to to shape and determine the way forward."

            I would go so far as to suggest that all disaffected ex-members
            should write to the Guild Secretary stating their wish to rejoin if
            the Guild drops the proposals as put forward and redefines its aims
            and purpose as just stated above.

            If you don't vote then you cannot complain about the government you
            get, and the current management looks more like new labour every day.

            Mike Bootman
          • Michael Marritt
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2007
              John

              Do re-join - PLEASE. The Guild needs people like you. I can assure you that there are quite a lot of 'Outlaws' inside the tent, Just not enough of us at the moment.

              Mike Marritt

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2007
                Hi Mike,

                Admirable sentiments and I agree that John Hobden is exactly the sort of member that the Guild needs to retain/re-recruit but and there always has to be a but what in the goings on of the last year is likely to have inspired people like him to rejoin? On the contrary I have heard from some quite surprising people that they do not intend to renew this year. The attrition goes on. On the Guild forum I quoted the fact that in 2000 I gathered 100 votes with a view to forcing a referendum. In the end I never used them but at the last AGM out of the 45 proxy votes I held only 7 of these originals remained.That means at least 93 active members lost to the Guild in 6 years.How many will there be in 2007 I wonder? I also surmised that the sort of member who cared enough to volunteer his services is also most likely to want some say in how it is run and is therefore interested in the democratic (or in the Guild's case lack of democratic) processes. The Guild's on going lack of volunteers is surely down to the discouragement and disenchantment of the very members who in other circumstances would be most likely to put themselves forward.

                It is chicken and egg, in order to get these people back the Guild must change. It might be easier to change the Guild if all of the dis-enchanted ex members were to rejoin and vote for change but realistically this is unlikely to happen. So if the Guild is to change it has to be the existing membership that changes it. I submit that our first priority should be to find some simple principles on which we can all agree. The "proposals" have generated some fairly powerful opposition from a wide "spectrum" of Guild opinion but when it comes to the bit could they unite to support an alternative programme?

                I have said this before but for what it is worth this is what I would like to see as some basic principles:
                1 The Gauge O Guild is "owned" by its membership. All members are equal.
                2 One member one vote. The membership delegate day to day powers to Board Council but when it comes to AGM members of Board/Council only have the same single vote to determine appointments as any other member.
                3 Any member may be considered for any post within the Guild except for Company Secretary and Treasurer where the wording shall be amended to: "any suitably qualified member"
                Any other suggestions?

                best wishes,

                Ian

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 11, 2007
                  Interesting Ian, the Board are carrying out their usual policy of heads in
                  the sand-or somewhere and eventually as with most things they take a dislike
                  to-it will die a death.
                  Yes, the aims should be united and not too many or complicated, the members
                  need to get back control of THEIR GUILD.
                  Perhaps Roy will give some indication as to the progress on the EGM.
                  It was suprising the number of Guild members who at the Rhondda declared
                  they had had it with the Guild and were not renewing their membership, the
                  reform paper, expensive to post, was the last straw.
                  Still, we can live in hope!

                  Bob Pearman
                  > Admirable sentiments and I agree that John Hobden is exactly the sort of
                  > member that the Guild needs to retain/re-recruit but and there always has
                  > to be a but what in the goings on of the last year is likely to have
                  > inspired people like him to rejoin? On the contrary I have heard from some
                  > quite surprising people that they do not intend to renew this year. The
                  > attrition goes on. On the Guild forum I quoted the fact that in 2000 I
                  > gathered 100 votes with a view to forcing a referendum. In the end I never
                  > used them but at the last AGM out of the 45 proxy votes I held only 7 of
                  > these originals remained.That means at least 93 active members lost to the
                  > Guild in 6 years.How many will there be in 2007 I wonder? I also surmised
                  > that the sort of member who cared enough to volunteer his services is also
                  > most likely to want some say in how it is run and is therefore interested
                  > in the democratic (or in the Guild's case lack of democratic) processes.
                  > The Guild's on going lack of volunteers is
                  >
                  > surely down to the discouragement and disenchantment of the very members
                  > who in other circumstances would be most likely to put themselves forward.
                  >
                  > It is chicken and egg, in order to get these people back the Guild must
                  > change. It might be easier to change the Guild if all of the dis-enchanted
                  > ex members were to rejoin and vote for change but realistically this is
                  > unlikely to happen. So if the Guild is to change it has to be the existing
                  > membership that changes it. I submit that our first priority should be to
                  > find some simple principles on which we can all agree. The "proposals"
                  > have generated some fairly powerful opposition from a wide "spectrum" of
                  > Guild opinion but when it comes to the bit could they unite to support an
                  > alternative programme?
                  >
                  > I have said this before but for what it is worth this is what I would like
                  > to see as some basic principles:
                  > 1 The Gauge O Guild is "owned" by its membership. All members are equal.
                  > 2 One member one vote. The membership delegate day to day powers to Board
                  > Council but when it comes to AGM members of Board/Council only have the
                  > same single vote to determine appointments as any other member.
                  > 3 Any member may be considered for any post within the Guild except for
                  > Company Secretary and Treasurer where the wording shall be amended to:
                  > "any suitably qualified member"
                  > Any other suggestions?
                  >
                  > best wishes,
                  >
                  > Ian

                • John y Christine Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 20, 2007
                    Hello John Et al,

                    I have just completed my response to the review document, including outlining some of the unhappiness I feel as an overseas member. On re-reading the thing, it does appear a bit negative and full of adverse comment; more a catalogue of woes than constructive comment. However, when I think about it, apart from the practical things the Guild does, which it generally does superbly, there is very little positive I feel about the management at the moment.

                    I will retain it for a few days before sending it off so that I can give it some more thought.

                    Jas (Spain)