Re: 76CSX track storage

  • Dick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 1:07 AM
      Was your 76 CSX fitted with a micro SD card and was it set to record to that card? The track storage of the unit is quite limited to so many data points depending on what was set ( on mine 10,000 points maximum) after which the older points get over-written. The micro SD card can store 255 days worth of data in individual daily files. The files are not dated but the file name uses the date in the form yyyymmdd.gpx. Remove the micro SD card from the 76CSX and try transferring the data to a computer. How large is your micro SD card and how much space did the installed map take up i.e. was the card large enough?
    • roybassist
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 12:13 PM
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "subtropical_ken" <kcdiehl@...> wrote:
        > On the unit I can see the stored gpx files named by date and the dates look correct. When I transfer the files using mapsource and see them listed in the tracks tab, about half of them (from the first half of the trip - I was traveling about 27 days) seem to be missing at least according to the date column.

        gpx files are stored on the SD card. If you can see them on the unit, then apparently you did have the unit set up to record the logs to the card. You said you transferred the files using MapSource. MapSource does not transfer gpx files from the card. They can only be copied to a computer by accessing the card as a USB mass storage device, either through the unit's Mass Storage setting or a card reader.

        If you transferred tracks using MapSource, those came from the unit's internal memory. If you had the internal memory recording set up to wrap when full, that would explain why the tracks from the early part of your trip don't show up: they were likely overwritten. Fortunately, that has nothing to do with the gpx files on the card. They should all be there, and if you access them via USB mass storage, you should be able to copy them to your computer. Then you can open them in MapSource or a number of other programs.

        >Plus there are tracks with one point in them that duplicate the date listed in adjacent tracks if that makes sense. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

        The unit generates a lot of bogus tracks that contain anywhere from 1 to a dozen or so points. The points are usually all in the same location. It seems to create these at the location where you last turned off the unit, while it is figuring out its new location when you turn it back on. You'll find them in the gpx files, too. After downloading tracks (or opening a gpx track file) in MapSource, the first thing I do is click on the column that shows the number of track points to sort the tracks by number of points. That puts all of the ones with fewer than 10 points together. Then I highlight all tracks with fewer than 10 points and delete them. Cleans the file up a bit, and my "real" tracks always have more than 10 points.
      • Simon Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 1:50 AM

          One thing to watch out for, learnt by bitter experience, is that there is a limit to the number of day files recorded to the micro SD card.  As far as I understand it the system will record day tracks but when the number of these tracks exceeds a limit it silently stops recording even though there is plenty of space left on the SD card.  I think the limit is a specific number between 200 and 300.

          The solution is to periodically copy the tracks off the SD card and then delete them on the card.

        • Reg
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 8:47 AM
            Posted by: "Simon Stewart" simonj6672

            > One thing to watch out for, learnt by bitter experience, is that there is
            > limit to the number of day files recorded to the micro SD card. As far as
            > understand it the system will record day tracks but when the number of
            > these
            > tracks exceeds a limit it silently stops recording even though there is
            > plenty of space left on the SD card. I think the limit is a specific
            > number
            > between 200 and 300.

            This is not a Garmin limitation, but a limitation of the SD card. All
            DOS storage devices have a built-in maximum number of directory
            entries in the root directory (root folder for young folk).

            OK, Garmin could have used a new folder for those files, but that
            would have required more code space in the GPSr to make a folder.
            Something else would have had to be removed to make room for it.

            Reg