Re: How to interface a 78sc with a Windows computer

  • cristee48
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
      John
      I have owned a GPSMap 78 for about 2 years.
      Technically it is a better machine than my old 76 which was getting a bit tired and had an old and not very powerful GPS chip.
      It does work well with HomePort which itself has improved
      dramatically over the versions.

      I sail around South Australian waters off Adelaide including Offshore racing.I am glad to have someone with Australian charting to compare notes with.

      There is a serious fault with routing in my machine.
      A typical yacht racing route will take us from the start line, out around a series of beacons and back to a finish which is often close to the start line. If I create a route to take us around the course, i cannot be sure that the route will be followed in the order that it is entered in the route list. Sometimes the route starts at the finish and works backwards! can you confirm the same problem on your machine?

      Also, I bought my Bluechart in the form of a chip that slides in below the batteries. It is not upgradeable. It has serious data missing from Port Adelaide River entarance beacon system, beacons we often use for our courses. Before I buy the more modern Bluechart charting I would like to know that these errors have been corrected.
      Would you be good enough to send me screenshot from HomePort showing the beacons in the Port Adelaide River?
      Grat sailing
      Chris

      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

      > Hi all. I hope I might get some good advice here. I have a Garmin 78sc which I use for sailing in local Australian waters. The unit came with BlueChart G2 coastal charts for Australia and New Zealand as well as the worldwide base map with imagery.
      >
      > Because the gps screen is so small, I would like to be able to interface with it on the computer.
      >
      > I would like to view tracks I have saved while sailing, and I would like to see those tracks with the marine chart as the background on the computer.
      >
      > I would like to compose routes on the computer with the map background, save them and export them to the GPS.
      >
      > No doubt, there will be more possibilities once I am able to do these two things.
      >
      > I have tried to use the My Garmin web interface but no luck. I installed base camp but it seems to be for treckers. Did not show my marine maps.
      >
      > I tried the free version of EasyGPS, and whilst it retrieved my svaed tracks, it did not show them on my marine chart (or any) background.
      >
      > I tried the trial version of ExpertGPS and it showed my saved track on a map background, but not my marine map. It could not seem to find my marine charts on my GPS.
      >
      > I installled Garmin Training Centre and MapSource, but MapSource but neither could successfully communicate with my gps.
      >
      > I realised I am flying blind on this. Hopefully there is an easy way to do what I'd like to do. Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked a million times before.
      >
      > cheers
      >
      > John

    • john hockings
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
        Hi Chris,
        once again, apologies for not picking up your email earlier. I've been down in Hobart for ten days at the Wooden Boat festival, and wasn't picking up my Yahoo mail over the period.  I've taken a few screen shots for you.  I hope I got the area you are interested in.  I'm including screenshots of two different magnifications. Images 1,2, and 3 are from the higher magnification which picks up all the detail.  The PA River image is from the magnification that lets you see the whole channel, with less detail showing up.

        Let me know if this helps.  I'll have to do a little reading up of routing before I test that for you.  I assume you are talking about how routing orders itself on the GPS and not Homeport, though I guess, when I think about it, they likely do the same thing.

        Glad to make contact.  What boat do you race on?  I did a little racing down in Adelaide many years ago.
> [...]

        > No doubt, there will be more possibilities once I am able to do these two things.
        >
        > I have tried to use the My Garmin web interface but no luck. I installed base camp but it seems to be for treckers. Did not show my marine maps.
        >
        > I tried the free version of EasyGPS, and whilst it retrieved my svaed tracks, it did not show them on my marine chart (or any) background.
        >
        > I tried the trial version of ExpertGPS and it showed my saved track on a map background, but not my marine map. It could not seem to find my marine charts on my GPS.
        >
        > I installled Garmin Training Centre and MapSource, but MapSource but neither could successfully communicate with my gps.
        >
        > I realised I am flying blind on this. Hopefully there is an easy way to do what I'd like to do. Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

      • john hockings
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013

> [...]

        > No doubt, there will be more possibilities once I am able to do these two things.
        >
        > I have tried to use the My Garmin web interface but no luck. I installed base camp but it seems to be for treckers. Did not show my marine maps.
        >
        > I tried the free version of EasyGPS, and whilst it retrieved my svaed tracks, it did not show them on my marine chart (or any) background.
        >
        > I tried the trial version of ExpertGPS and it showed my saved track on a map background, but not my marine map. It could not seem to find my marine charts on my GPS.
        >
        > I installled Garmin Training Centre and MapSource, but MapSource but neither could successfully communicate with my gps.
        >
        > I realised I am flying blind on this. Hopefully there is an easy way to do what I'd like to do. Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

      • john hockings
        Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
        Chris, attached chart images here....
        regards