Map updates, gpsmap 76cs

  • deeplyshrouded
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
      I know I asked this about a year ago or so but can't find the message.
      Are there any map updates to the gpsmap 76cs?
      Even though I have a nuvi, the 76cs remains my favorite unit.
    • annoyedone
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "deeplyshrouded" <deeplyshrouded@...> wrote:

        > I know I asked this about a year ago or so but can't find the message.
        > Are there any map updates to the gpsmap 76cs?

        What maps? If you mean City Navigator road maps then no. There have/are map updates but the 76CS won't support them since Garmin only releases NT format maps now.

        Of course the 76Cx and 76CSx do support NT format so you can update their maps even though they're both discontinued models.
      • deeplyshrouded
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
          All I have is a 76CS no X. Garmin says the unit is discontinued,
          and you say City Nagivator doesn't support the unit.
          So what can I use to find the latest map updates?

          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> wrote:

          > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "deeplyshrouded" <deeplyshrouded@> wrote:
          >
          > > I know I asked this about a year ago or so but can't find the message.
          > > Are there any map updates to the gpsmap 76cs?
          >
          > What maps? If you mean City Navigator road maps then no. There have/are map updates but the 76CS won't support them since Garmin only releases NT format maps now.
          >
          > Of course the 76Cx and 76CSx do support NT format so you can update their maps even though they're both discontinued models.

        • Robert Lipe
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012

            The x-nots were dropped about 2006. They haven't been supported by CN in a long time. So 'latest' if you could find it, would still be pretty old. Frankly, a modern nuvi would cost about the same as an update if you could find one and the map data would be as much as 6 to 8 years newer.

            You can dumpster dive for free maps from the likes of openstreetmap or cloud made, but for driving directions, it is time to let that model go.

            On Dec 12, 2012 10:52 AM, "deeplyshrouded" <deeplyshrouded@...> wrote:
            All I have is a 76CS no X. Garmin says the unit is discontinued,
            and you say City Nagivator doesn't support the unit.
            So what can I use to find the latest map updates?

            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> wrote:

            > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "deeplyshrouded" <deeplyshrouded@> wrote:
            >
            > > I know I asked this about a year ago or so but can't find the message.
            > > Are there any map updates to the gpsmap 76cs?
            >
            > What maps? If you mean City Navigator road maps then no. There have/are map updates but the 76CS won't support them since Garmin only releases NT format maps now.
            >
            > Of course the 76Cx and 76CSx do support NT format so you can update their maps even though they're both discontinued models.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                Garmin_GPSmap_76C-digest@yahoogroups.com
                Garmin_GPSmap_76C-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • annoyedone
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lipe <robertlipe@...> wrote:

              > The x-nots were dropped about 2006.

              The x'es are also discontinued but at least NT maps work on them.
            • annoyedone
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
                --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "deeplyshrouded" <deeplyshrouded@...> wrote:

                > ...and you say City Nagivator doesn't support the unit.

                Not since about 2008/2009 or so.