Roads and Trails

  • AndrewS
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2012
      I use Map Source and the City Navigator map to develop maps and cue sheets for my bike club. If I stay on roads, this works just fine. But occasionally I want to develop a route that is on the road some of the time and is on a bike path at other times.

      City Navigator does not have bike paths like it has roads. Are the TOPO maps my solution? With TOPO maps, can I develop a route that is sometimes on the road and sometimes on a bike trail? Will the directions of the route include the names of both the roads and the bike paths? Will it be a true route, rather than a series of points, as in a track? What are the disadvantages of the TOPO maps, compared to City Navigator maps?

      ... Andy
    • David Thofern
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2012
        Garmin's TOPO U.S. 2008 does not show any bike trails in my area (Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN). In fact it still shows railroad tracks that have been converted to a bike trail over 20 years ago. Also, TOPO will not do auto routing. I've created routes in Garmin Road Trip and imported them into TOPO but as soon as you recalculate the route TOPO turns the route into a straight line, point to point. I'm using a Mac and maybe it's different on the PC side.

        Dave
        On Jul 7, 2012, at 7:01 PM, AndrewS wrote:

        > I use Map Source and the City Navigator map to develop maps and cue sheets for my bike club. If I stay on roads, this works just fine. But occasionally I want to develop a route that is on the road some of the time and is on a bike path at other times.
        >
        > City Navigator does not have bike paths like it has roads. Are the TOPO maps my solution? With TOPO maps, can I develop a route that is sometimes on the road and sometimes on a bike trail? Will the directions of the route include the names of both the roads and the bike paths? Will it be a true route, rather than a series of points, as in a track? What are the disadvantages of the TOPO maps, compared to City Navigator maps?
        >
        > ... Andy

      • karen_ozau
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012
          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "AndrewS" <anschwartz@...> wrote:

          > I use Map Source and the City Navigator map to develop maps and cue sheets for my bike club. If I stay on roads, this works just fine. But occasionally I want to develop a route that is on the road some of the time and is on a bike path at other times.
          >
          > City Navigator does not have bike paths like it has roads. Are the TOPO maps my solution? With TOPO maps, can I develop a route that is sometimes on the road and sometimes on a bike trail? Will the directions of the route include the names of both the roads and the bike paths? Will it be a true route, rather than a series of points, as in a track? What are the disadvantages of the TOPO maps, compared to City Navigator maps?
          >
          > ... Andy

          Where are you in the world? My copy of Garmin Topo for Australia & New Zealand does route, and has bike tracks. It's actually more up to date in many areas than my copy of City Navigator Aus & NZ, but is less useful when searching for services.
          Karen
        • annoyedone
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012
            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, David Thofern <dthofern@...> wrote:

            > Also, TOPO will not do auto routing.

            As karen_ozau said some Topo's contain autorouting data. TOPO U.S. 2008 does not but the various US Topo 24K's do as does Topo Australia & NZ. One should check the Garmin map product pages to see if they do or not.

            As to the OP US Topo 24K's allow autorouting along roads and trails. That said I don't know of any Garmin map product that (consistently) shows biking paths (vs trails). The only way to tell for sure is to use Garmin's online map viewer for your area of interest.
          • Mark Newby
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012

              Hi Andy,

              Detailed mapping information such as you are describing can only be obtained and combined/modified with a proper piece of GIS software, not basic transfer utilities like MapSource.  TOPO is just a rater presentation, and you are asking to manipulate vector data.  I urge you to study GIS programs, download some of the free ones like the basic version of Manifold GIS, and let me be the first to welcome you to a whole new way of understanding the world and developing cartography for it.

              Mark N.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012

                The word “rater” should have been RASTER.

                M.

              • sredfield@cox.net

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2012
                    Thanks. I tried it but I did not get very far. Apparently the graphics are beyond the capability of my graphics card.

                    ... Andy