Distance errors

  • dave.thofern
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2011
      Can anyone explain why I am recording errors in the Odometer field when I am hiking? Also, why is the odometer distance often radically different than the recorded track distance? For example, if I go on a hike on a trail that has been accurately measured to 10 miles, the odometer will record as much as 13 miles. The track mileage, while not totally accurate, is much closer. Usually the distance recorded is higher than the actual distance but sometimes it is lower.

      I've checked the unit against my car odometer over both short and long distances and it is pretty much spot-on.

      Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

      Dave
    • k0kls
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2011
        Here's my theory based on what I've seen with my 60CS while cycling:

        When you're stopped, you may not be moving, but your GPS is still receiving a signal. If you are in an area where it might be reflected off trees, mountains, buildings, etc., it may think it's still moving and will keep accumulating distance.

        The best was to determine that it to look at your track to see if you see big jumps when you were sitting still. Hikers, I suspect, because you're moving slower than bikes or cars will have that happen more often.

        Delete those anomalies and your track and the real distance will come closer to each other.

        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dave.thofern" <dthofern@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone explain why I am recording errors in the Odometer field when I am hiking? Also, why is the odometer distance often radically different than the recorded track distance? For example, if I go on a hike on a trail that has been accurately measured to 10 miles, the odometer will record as much as 13 miles. The track mileage, while not totally accurate, is much closer. Usually the distance recorded is higher than the actual distance but sometimes it is lower.
        >
        > I've checked the unit against my car odometer over both short and long distances and it is pretty much spot-on.
        >
        > Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
        >
        > Dave

      • Ken Diehl
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2011
          I tend to think of GPS in terms of 2D since my main application is
          marine so I wonder how much elevation change plays in what you are
          seeing if at all? I wouldn't think 3 miles but who knows. Also does the
          "accurately measured 10 miles" account for elevation change or is it map
          measured? Just my 2 cents worth.

          Ken Diehl
          Holden Beach, NC