Need Help with GPSMap 76CS That won't restart ...

  • kenrf48
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2011
      without removing batteries.

      I have had the 76CS since new, a few years. It has worked flawlessly. Suddenly it started turning itself off. And would not restart without removing a battery.

      I just finished reinstalling the 4.2 firmware from Garmin and just finished reinstalling the maps, City Navigator v7, Oregon and Washington. Newer versions only work with the "X" models.

      Even after reinstalling everything, it responds the same. With the batteries in or out, and connected to 12vdc through the round serial port on the back, it still does the same thing.

      If I pull out the batteries and then insert them, it will turn on most of the time. If I turn it off or it looses external power like when I turn my motorcycle off, it will not turn on again until I remove the batteries.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Ken
    • Len.C

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011
          My guess, especially if you use it on a motorcycle (vibration etc), is that the unit has a hardware problem.

          I don't know what Garmin would charge for repair, but the 76CS is an obsolete model, so it may be cheaper to upgrade. Of course you have to consider the cost of new maps as well.

          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kenrf48" <kenrf48@...> wrote:

          > If I pull out the batteries and then insert them, it will turn on
          > most of the time. If I turn it off or it looses external power
          > like when I turn my motorcycle off, it will not turn on again until
          > I remove the batteries.
        • Filohipo
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011
            Hi

            Some 76CS have a contact batteries problem.
            Either they get loose or even broke.
            Do a search , or check here for start:
            http://www.gps-forums.net/caution-watch-out-batteries-too-long-garmin-battery-compartment-t7496.html

            2011/1/2 annoyedone <annoyedone@...>

            My guess, especially if you use it on a motorcycle (vibration etc), is that the unit has a hardware problem.

            I don't know what Garmin would charge for repair, but the 76CS is an obsolete model, so it may be cheaper to upgrade. Of course you have to consider the cost of new maps as well.

            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kenrf48" <kenrf48@...> wrote:

            > If I pull out the batteries and then insert them, it will turn on
            > most of the time. If I turn it off or it looses external power
            > like when I turn my motorcycle off, it will not turn on again until
            > I remove the batteries.

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
              I had a similar problem last summer, but I don't remember the exact details other than it would turn itself off. I can't remember if it refused to turn on or not. In my case, the SD card had become corrupted and reformatting it and then reloading the maps solved it. You could test if it's this problem or not by removing the SD card and see if it functions correctly.

              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kenrf48" <kenrf48@...> wrote:

              > without removing batteries.
              >
              > I have had the 76CS since new, a few years. It has worked flawlessly. Suddenly it started turning itself off. And would not restart without removing a battery.

            • Amir Findling K9CHP
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                The 76CS does not have an SD card, these came in only with the 60/76CSx series.
                OTOH, the problem still might be a corrupt map file.
                73 de K9CHP Amir Findling

                ========================

                73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS, DXCC

                www.K9CHP.net Blog: http://k9chp.blogspot.com

                Eagle Valley Search Dogs, Senior K9 Handler

                K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of Search Teams

                1st Special Response Group (1SRG)

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Thanks Steve,

                  Mine is the older model, the 76CS, which does not have an SD card. It just has internal memory.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                    I reloaded the firmware from Garmin and rebuilt the maps in mapsource and reloaded them in to the GPS. no help. Same thing.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                      Yes, I realize the 76CS is obsolete as for as new maps. Buy the CNv7 that I have still has more roads than the newest pretty expensive models. I have been looking at the NUVI series, and some others. I use my GPS for lots of back country off highway motorcycle adventures and all the new stuff does not have the detail that the CNv7 has. I have a newer GPSMap76CSX, which works fine but, where we go, it is good to have a backup GPS in the pack. I have CN 2008 and 2009 and the Topo 24k for Or, Wa, Nv, and Ca. I have a lot invested and if i get a cute little nuvi, it probably is not waterproof like the the 76 and I can clearly see that it does not have the forest service roads and trails.

                      You have been at this a while because you were on here about 6 years ago when I bought the 76CS. So, do you have any good recommendations for a good GPS that will take to motorcycles and also have all the detail of CN? A different GPS means a different RAM Mount for the thing too. SO, new is an investment. I would hate to lose the TOPO and detailed forest roads too, along with autorouting, tracking and all the rest. You know what I mean.

                      Ken

                      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                      > My guess, especially if you use it on a motorcycle (vibration etc), is that the unit has a hardware problem.
                      >
                      > I don't know what Garmin would charge for repair, but the 76CS is an obsolete model, so it may be cheaper to upgrade. Of course you have to consider the cost of new maps as well.
                      >
                      > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kenrf48" <kenrf48@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > If I pull out the batteries and then insert them, it will turn on
                      > > most of the time. If I turn it off or it looses external power
                      > > like when I turn my motorcycle off, it will not turn on again until
                      > > I remove the batteries.

                    • annoyedone
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2011
                        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kenrf48" <kenrf48@...> wrote:

                        > You have been at this a while because you were on here about 6
                        > years ago when I bought the 76CS.

                        Yes, I've been here since day 1 as I'm the group owner (created it) ;-)

                        > So, do you have any good recommendations for a good GPS that will
                        > take to motorcycles and also have all the detail of CN?

                        Unfortunately not. As you know the nuvi's have less functionality than the 76CS and 76CSx. That said I bought a nuvi 1350 about a year ago but still have a 76CSx.

                        Garmin's marketing strategy seems to be to make lots of niche market products, including within the nuvi line, to sell more devices. What that means is that you need to do more careful research and only pay for what you need. For example most nuvi's won't accept/store routes so if that's a feature you must have you'll have to buy a high-end model. If you want to create detailed track ("trip" in the nuvi universe) logs you'll have to look outside the nuvi line.

                        > A different GPS means a different RAM Mount for the thing too.

                        I understand. Obviously Garmin is in the business of selling stuff. You have to decide how much you want to give them.

                        PS: The reason I got the nuvi was that I purchased, at Garmin's website, a Lifetime Map subscription but could not apply it to my 76CSx despite a month of trying to get Garmin to rectify the situation (a problem on their server). A local retailer had a good price on the 1350 so I gave up and purchased one and applied the Lifetime subscription to it without issue. Overall I don't regret that decision and now use the 76CSx for backup/track log creation etc.
                      • Filohipo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2011
                          Hi

                          Which type of motorcicle ?
                          Road or off road ?

                          For road use you have zumo
                          For off road use you can choose  among the new 78, 62 or the  "old" oregon
                           I do own a 76 csx and an  oregon 450t both can be mouted on motorcycle (Ram mount).
                           In the run boat I use only the 76 csx - It floats ;-)

                          Rgds

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2011
                            for the question of "Road or Off Road?", Yes!

                            I have a 2006 Suzuki DR650se Dual Sport. It is a huge heavy dirtbike with mirrors! :-) I have had real dirtbikes for several years and began riding them less because you have to haul them someplace to ride. I really wasn't into the "goat trails" any more and really preferred to live longer, so I got a dual sport. I can ride it on moderate trails and offroad about anywhere. But, now I can roll out the driveway to get there. That is a great advantage. I really like backcountry adventure the best. Long rides in the backcountry, on forest service roads. A couple of years ago we did a 400 mile trip from Estacata, OR to Crater Lake, OR. The entire trip was over 800miles in 4 days. That is why the 76CSx is so nice. My CN2009 is excellent for covering even the remotest places in the woods. But, the TOPO 24k I bought is awesome too. It autoroutes like the CN but has all the elevation, streams, lakes, rivers, trails, and lots of firebreaks, and so forth. My 76CS which died now, was my backup. My 76CSx is my only GPS at present.

                            Like Annoyed said, the newer GPS by Garmin are geared more toward the hiway stuff and if you want something that compares to the 76CSx,you really have to spend the bucks.

                            Ken