Re: GPSmap 76CS provides incorrect date since beginning of 2010

  • Ramo
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3 11:19 AM
      Thanks for this information. Obviously there is a chance that the device locks to the wrong date. I have googled and found that not only the Geko but also nüvis and etrexes have this problem sometimes. The clock in the 76C appears to run without batteries for a very long time. In order to reset the 2030 date I left it a first time for 24 hours without batteries and then, after it showed still the wrong date without a further satellite fix, another 48 hours, still the wrong date was not reset. So the next time I will switch it on at the end of next week, hoping the date will be reset then. If so I will set the correct location and only then fill have it a satellite fix under optimal reception condition, hoping it then will grab and keep the correct date and time. If this doesnt help I will have to get access to the secret Garmin program garmin_timeset that is mentioned in the web or simply accept the wrong date as a permanent bug.

      Thanks for your help
      CU

      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "bpsmicro" <lists.nospam@...> wrote:

      > For what it's worth, I pulled out my 76CS, which has been stored in a box, without batteries, for upwards of 6 months. I disremember how to check the firmware version, but I seem to recall it was the second-to-last one.
      > After about half an hour it finally locked on some satellites and the date/time are correct.

    • Len.C
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3 6:01 PM
        Hold enter while powering up to enter test mode. Hold enter and page while powering up to master reset the unit. The 76C and 76CS should use the same key strokes as they use the same firmware.
        Secret Startup commands for Garmin handhelds

        After a reset

        If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

        Re-establish all of your preferences such as time zone, daylight savings flag, etc. Reload all your waypoints and saved routes from your backup. I do hope you have a backup. WAAS capable receivers will have to re-establish the WAAS almanac as well.

        On 30/7/10 10:20 AM, Ramo wrote:

        As I wrote, I had the latest firmware i.e. 4.20 on the device, for testing I downgraded to 3.50-> exactly the same, position is correct however the date is 15 March 2030 and time is winter time.

        I always had charged Sany eneloop rechargeables in the device, since I still use the unit. None of the newer units has the automatic upcoming turn display for off-road routing. This feature, which is very handy for fast bicycling on roads, I do not want to miss. Therefore I use my 76CSX less often, i.e. in holidays when I need the large map storage area.

        For test purposes I now leave the device without batteries. I will reinsert them tomorrow, in the hope that if the almanac data is completely reconstructed, the bug may disappear.

        @annoyedone
        With respect to bug fixes: For the Geko Garmin provided such a fix, even though the Geko is older and a lot cheaper (the 76CS was about 750$ in 2004 in Europe). Hence, there is a small chance that Garmin may fix this minor bug.

        However, I am still interested if there is another 76C(S) owner who can confirm the existence of this bug in his device.

        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, Amir Findling K9CHP <sarlabs@...> wrote:

        > Hi Len:
        > Screen failure is common in the eTrex Vista. Mine went south like that,
        > Garmin even fixed it once, for free, but at some point, the display went
        > bad again, long after I had better units so now, that Vista is gone too.
        > Would not have helped you though as it suffered from the same affliction
        > as yours.
        >
        > As for storing GPS with batteries, it better be good and new batteries
        > otherwise you risk to see them go bad with the green stuff that
        > electronics don't like. Choose your predicament... Maybe a better way is
        > to put batteries in them every 3-6 months and let them acquire, then
        > turn off and leave the batteries in for 24 hours, then take them out.
        >
        > ========================
        >
        > 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS, DXCC
        >
        > www.K9CHP.net <http://www.k9chp.net> Blog: http://k9chp.blogspot.com
        > <http://k9chp.blogspot.com/>
        >
        > Eagle Valley Search Dogs <http://evdogs.org/>, Senior K9 Handler
        >
        > K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of Search Teams
        > <http://www.nysfedsar.org/>
        >
        > 1st Special Response Group <http://www.1srg.org/> (1SRG)
        >

        > On 7/30/2010 09:05, Len.C wrote:
        > >
        > > Since yours is working I would suggest that he for a firmware update
        > > on it.
        > >
        > > My first GPS was an etrex Vista and the display went on it, I have
        > > been looking for a few years for a dead one that I could take the
        > > display from and put it in mine. Well someone sent me one that
        > > wouldn't lock on the sats, other than that it seemed to work, it saw
        > > the sats but just never locked on them, he got it from someone because
        > > of that problem. Well before I messed with it I decided to do a
        > > firmware upgrade on it just to see as it had older frimware, well its
        > > working fine now. Now I am still looking for a dead vista so I can
        > > fix mine.
        > >
        > > Another thing others might want to do is always store your GPS with
        > > batteries in it, I was given a dead extrex with the camo case, no the
        > > screen won't fit my vista, exactly whats wrong with that unit I don't
        > > know but the internal battery is dead and I am thinking thats why it
        > > quit working, I replaced it but still no go as I imagine it needs some
        > > kind of reset.
        > >
        > > ,_._,___

      • Ramo
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10 1:26 PM
          Of course I had done a master reset before. Unfortunately this does not reset the date nor the time. The date is obviously in the flash memory, at least it is still 2030 after leaving the device for over a week without batteries and then switching on with GPS reception off.
          I contacted Garmin Germany, they said there is no support for this device. As I said, obviously, once the date is wrongly stored the GPS will not change it because this wrong date is simply another possible solution of the equations. I hope to get the garmin_timeset utility which writes a correct date into the device´s memory.