New member and a question for the pro's

  • csuffa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hello. I'm new to the group and have a new CSx, but I'm a longtime Garmin user, II, III, GPSMap76 and Streetpilot 2730, plus several marine units on the boats I have run. I also administer a fleet of ~350 GPS'ed AVL police cars and fire trucks for dispatch purposes.

      Just got my new 76CSx yesterday and reloaded all my old tracks and waypoints and bluecharts. Trying to decide which City Navigator to get: DVD, SD or download. If I get the SD version, will the whole thing - USA left and right coast - fit on the SD? If I get a DVD, should I spring for a 4GB SD card when all the unit can deal with is 2 GB at a time? And how big is the download?? Why would I want that over physical media since there is no price break on the garmin site?

      Thanks for sharing your info here. I look forward to staying in the loop.

      Cheers,
      Chris
    • tj4dirt
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
        I would spring for the DVD. If you get City Nav. on a SD it won't be available to use, using MapSource. Why pay extra for a 4 gig card when all you can use is 2?

        -
        > Just got my new 76CSx yesterday and reloaded all my old tracks and waypoints and bluecharts. Trying to decide which City Navigator to get: DVD, SD or download. If I get the SD version, will the whole thing - USA left and right coast - fit on the SD? If I get a DVD, should I spring for a 4GB SD card when all the unit can deal with is 2 GB at a time? And how big is the download??

      • annoyedone
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "csuffa" <chris.suffa@...> wrote:

          > Trying to decide which City Navigator to get: DVD, SD or download.

          I'd go with the DVD or download. However the download version will NOT get you the maps that can be used on the PC (i.e. in MapSource), just a file for the SD card, unless you get the nuvi-lifetime option. The download is about 1.5GB from memory for the US City Navigator.

          You can, with the later firmware, have up to 4GB of maps on an SD card (I use a 8GB card). That's what I do. Note that 4GB cards are only 4^9 bytes not 2^32 bytes just like hard drives. That's about 6.8% less. 8GB cards are pretty cheap and you'll get the full (2^32) 4GB capability going that way.
        • Len.C
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
            ALWAYS get the DVD. It can be installed on the PC, it can be combined
            with other maps, like TOPO, or another country.

            If you get it on SD then you can't add any other maps to it, if the SD
            gets formated then your investment is lost, if you try to add maps to it
            they well be lost, if the card for some unknown reason gets broke they
            are lost. Only advantage to the SD is that you can us the SD card in
            any GARMIN GPS that supports the maps and the card.