Hi All. New to the group. combining maps

  • michael_leesg
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11 9:36 AM
      Just joined the group and would like to say hi to all.
      Here's my first post.Is it possible to combine maps on different micro-sd cards into one card of higher capacity? i bought a few maps on different cards and would be buying more and would like combine them to one card for my travels.thanks.michael.
    • andre
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12 5:17 AM
        Hello there. I'm new too.
        Yes, it is possible. since it is in a card, I think you will need sendmap.

        but it is also depend on what map. combining blue chart with street map in one card will make you to 'check' - 'un-check' maps from your gps.
        another possibility is to use different name (not gmapsupp), and change it back whenever it is needed.

        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "michael_leesg" <mikie@...> wrote:

        > Just joined the group and would like to say hi to all.
        > Here's my first post.Is it possible to combine maps on different micro-sd cards into one card of higher capacity? i bought a few maps on different cards and would be buying more and would like combine them to one card for my travels.thanks.michael.

      • Auke Koopmans
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12 2:12 PM
          Depends very much which maps you have on SD cards. If the maps are locked to
          that particular SD card (most of the Garmin maps which are available on a
          commercial basis), then it is not possible to as the maps will be locked and
          won't work on another SD card.

          If the maps are not locked then you will be able to combine the maps with
          Sendmap or other programs like GMapTool and copy them to a bigger card.

          HTH

          On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM, andre <tanoe5@...> wrote:

          > Hello there. I'm new too.
          > Yes, it is possible. since it is in a card, I think you will need sendmap.
          >
          > but it is also depend on what map. combining blue chart with street map in
          > one card will make you to 'check' - 'un-check' maps from your gps.
          > another possibility is to use different name (not gmapsupp), and change it
          > back whenever it is needed.
          >

          > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com<Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "michael_leesg" <mikie@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just joined the group and would like to say hi to all.
          > > Here's my first post.Is it possible to combine maps on different micro-sd
          > cards into one card of higher capacity? i bought a few maps on different
          > cards and would be buying more and would like combine them to one card for
          > my travels.thanks.michael.

        • Mark Newby
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12 2:33 PM
            I have always considered it a great feature that you could quickly change
            the cards and have a completely different mapset. I use that a lot
            switching from land to off-shore (marine) and then from street to detailed
            topo.

            Targus has some neat little cases, and one of my favorites is an SD card
            case made by Vanguard. I bought them both by searching "memory card case"
            on Amazon. The reason the Vanguard works so well is that I keep it in a
            pocket of a larger case, it might pop open in your pocket.

            It is necessary to always buy the uSD cards with the SD adaptor to make them
            fit in those cases. Alas, no uSD card cases exist that I am aware of.

            I always wanted to use "alas" in a sentence. My eternal thanks.

            Of great interest, has anyone run into a limit of the maximum number of
            mapsets that MAPSOURCE can handle? I have 7 installed, and I think I have
            had 8 at one time. This is the number of mapsets that MapSource will let
            you select from, not the number of tiles you select and program into the
            unit. (ex: City Navigator, Topo, Roads&Rec, etc.)

            Also, I ran into a funny problem. I made several mapsets, each one
            containing a highly detailed national forest map. I selected each of them,
            then did "Send to Device." They all show up just fine in Mapsource and on
            the GPS unit, but in the GPS unit "Map Setup-Info-Show/Hide" page, only the
            name of the last one in the MapSource list shows up, and when I "show/hide"
            it, all of the CUSTOM maps turn on and off at the same time. Any
            suggestions? Does this have to do with the CODE field? All of the Garmin
            products have a code of 1, and I have to select other "codes" arbitrarily to
            make the custom stuff work.

            This may be something I have to take to the Map Authors forum, but I know
            there are many knowledgeable map creators here as well.

            <mailto:tanoe5%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

            > Hello there. I'm new too.
            > Yes, it is possible. since it is in a card, I think you will need sendmap.
            >
            > but it is also depend on what map. combining blue chart with street map in
            > one card will make you to 'check' - 'un-check' maps from your gps.
            > another possibility is to use different name (not gmapsupp), and change it
            > back whenever it is needed.
            >

            > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>
            <Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "michael_leesg" <mikie@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just joined the group and would like to say hi to all.
            > > Here's my first post.Is it possible to combine maps on different
            micro-sd
            > cards into one card of higher capacity? i bought a few maps on different
            > cards and would be buying more and would like combine them to one card for
            > my travels.thanks.michael.

          • annoyedone
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12 2:55 PM
              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Newby" <tireguy51@...> wrote:

              > Of great interest, has anyone run into a limit of the maximum
              > number of mapsets that MAPSOURCE can handle?

              So we're on the same page let me define *my* terms and see if I can rephrase my understanding of your question.

              I use the term "mapset" to denote a set of segments (tiles if you prefer) from one or more "map products" that will be sent to the GPS unit (as a gmapsupp.img file) at once. Mapsets, in the form of gmapsupp.img files, can be stored on one or more microSD cards or other storage medium. It is only possible for a MapSource (GDB) file to contain one mapset at any time.

              I define a "map product" as a group of map segments grouped by geographic area and/or type that can be viewed in MapSource. A map product may or may not have been created by Garmin.

              So, I think your question is "Is there a limit to the number of map products that can make up a mapset?"

              I don't know the answer but do know that the mapset I use, on an 8GB card, consists of

              2006 segments (tiles)
              4095.6MB
              7 map products

              and it works fine.
            • Mark Newby
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 13 9:41 AM
                I like your terms and I will try to use them specifically. We are basically
                saying the same thing, as the selected tiles from multiple map products area
                a "set" with a pink background and simultaneously the "set" that is
                transferred to the GPS.

                My fantasy Garmin wish for the day is that they should program the software
                to give you an error message whenever you select greater than 2025 tiles or
                the memory limit of the card (less formatting) that is installed. If wishes
                were fishes beggars would eat like kings, isn't that how it goes?

                It appears that the number of map products that MapSource can handle may be
                a very large number. As I put large numbers of custom forest maps in, I
                will report where I am at. My workaround will be to simply combine forests
                into "all forest in a state" and then "all forests in a region" and so on
                until a workable solution is reached.

                Knowing what will work on an 8GB card is greatly appreciated, thank you.