Just bought:: Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2010 SD MicroSD Maps

  • Bob P
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
      from someone on eBay (who said they were from Garmin) but when I put it in my 76CSx and go to Menu, Setup, Maps, it says: Copyright Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. All rights reserved.
      Shouldn't it say something like City Navigator Europe NT?
      It seems to work fine, I'm just curious?
      Thanks.
      Bob P
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
        I guess I am surprised that it "says" anything. A map is a map is a map, if
        it is on the card it shows up on the Setup-Map Setup-Information menu and
        you can SHOW or HIDE it. If it is not on the card, it does not exist. If
        it is the mapset you purchased, sounds like you got a good deal.

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
          Yes, believe me, I'm not complaining; it was less than half of what Garmin sells it for. I was just curious because when I put my North America card in the unit, it says: City Navigator NorthAmerica NT 2009 and the new card just has some copyright info.

          Anyway, like you say, if it works be happy (I'm happy).

          Thanks,

          Bob P.
        • Bob P
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
            Hmm. another clue?

            When I put the micro SD card into the adaptor and put the adaptor into my card reader and put my card reader into my computer, it says:

            GMAPSUPP
            CD-DVD Burner disc image
            139,692 KB

            I wonder if I have a copy that was burned onto an SD card or the real thing now.

            Seller claimed it was Garmin.

            Hmm..........
          • annoyedone
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Bob P" <bopeltzman@...> wrote:

              > Seller claimed it was Garmin.

              Yup, stuff bought cheap on eBay is 100% genuine ;-)

              "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".

              I've read (don't recall where) about others having their "genuine" Garmin cards dying after a few weeks. Hopefully you'll be more fortunate.
            • Sune Cullberg
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
                Hi!

                I think it´s Windows fooling you, guessing what type of file you have on
                your card.

                The extension .img is used by some burning program.

                /Sune

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
                  Hi

                  Let's put this way:

                  Garmin lock codes have been cracked. Unless your sd/micro sd card has a
                  genuine Garmin brand, it is a a piracy product.

                  Garmin Europe CN map NT 2010.10 is the last map released from Garmin.

                  2010.20 is expected to be released soon..

                  Surely your micro sd card has one file named gmapsupp.unl. If you open it
                  with a text editor it will show a 25 letters unlock code that is related to
                  the card garmin ID.

                  If this file do not exist, you have a totally unlocked map - just copy the
                  gmapsupp.img file to another micro SD card and see if it works. Surely it
                  will.

                  RGDS

                • Bill Kerr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
                    So this code will not work in another card?
                    Bill

                    <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
                    S c o t l a n d

                    2009/8/6 Filohipo <filohipo@...>

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > Let's put this way:
                    >
                    > Garmin lock codes have been cracked. Unless your sd/micro sd card has a
                    > genuine Garmin brand, it is a a piracy product.
                    >
                    > Garmin Europe CN map NT 2010.10 is the last map released from Garmin.
                    >
                    > 2010.20 is expected to be released soon..
                    >
                    > Surely your micro sd card has one file named gmapsupp.unl. If you open it
                    > with a text editor it will show a 25 letters unlock code that is related to
                    > the card garmin ID.
                    >
                    > If this file do not exist, you have a totally unlocked map - just copy the
                    > gmapsupp.img file to another micro SD card and see if it works. Surely it
                    > will.
                    >
                    > RGDS

                  • annoyedone
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
                      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, Bill Kerr <billgkerr@...> wrote:

                      > So this code will not work in another card?

                      Not if its a genuine Garmin one.

                      Can I backup my Garmin preprogrammed microSD card maps?