Mapsource save as GPX

  • freeride_24_7
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1 8:29 AM
      I installed the new Mapsource on Friday. This morning I opened a .GDB file containing a single track with 1983 points and tried saving as a .GPX, but Mapsource crashes every time. I tried breaking the track into multiple smaller parts but that didn't work either. Has anybody else tried saving a track as GPX format using the new Mapsource?
    • MARK NEWBY
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1 11:01 AM
        I thought I had the latest MapSource. It is version 6.15.6.

        I have no problem reading or saving GPX files, I just use Save As and it works perfectly.

        Recommend you state your versions when reporting a problem, not "latest" or "new".

        You didn't just fire away on all barrels and install what came in a disk that is years old did you? Without real upgrades? That is easy to do.

        Mark

        To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com
        From: freeride_24_7@...
        Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:29:27 +0000
        Subject: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Mapsource save as GPX

        I installed the new Mapsource on Friday. This morning I opened a .GDB file containing a single track with 1983 points and tried saving as a .GPX, but Mapsource crashes every time. I tried breaking the track into multiple smaller parts but that didn't work either. Has anybody else tried saving a track as GPX format using the new Mapsource?

      • pmcke
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2 3:19 PM
          I have this problem too and it is only with the later versions of Mapsource. It seems intermittant and I havn't really found out what the problem is.

          I suspect that it may be something to do with the new waypoint icons available in Mapsource. I have had success by changing the icons to a simple flag. The last GPX I saved I managed to do it by deleting all the waypoints and only saving the tracks, which was all I wanted in that case.

          It won't be the number of track points, I have saved GPX files with more points than that.

          Keep trying some other things, you are on the right track. I find it a real pain. I have heard of others who have the same problem, then there are people who don't have it at all.

          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "freeride_24_7" <freeride_24_7@...> wrote:

          > I installed the new Mapsource on Friday. This morning I opened a .GDB file containing a single track with 1983 points and tried saving as a .GPX, but Mapsource crashes every time. I tried breaking the track into multiple smaller parts but that didn't work either. Has anybody else tried saving a track as GPX format using the new Mapsource?

        • hkeyzer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3 3:19 AM
            You may want to check this discussion out:
            http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=222325
            Seems issue might be related.

            I'm unable to save as GPX file if file was originally a GBD file I saved after I transferred the data from 76 via mapsource. Or if I transfer data directly from GPS and the try to save as GPX file. In either case mapsource will crash -note I'm using mapsource V6.15.6.

          • rmoore@cmhc-schl.gc.ca
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3 5:44 AM
              As a newbie to this discussion forum, I see we have the same problems with
              instruction manuals that I have seen with other discussion forums for some
              of the other technical products that I own. The manufacturer's manuals
              don't exactly explain what we need to know to operate the products we have
              bought.

              This is where discussion forums like this come into play. We have loads
              of file storage space where we can upload information on how to better use
              our Garmin 76CSx GPS system - both the hardware, the firmware, and the
              software that makes the 76CSx stand on end.

              So, if you've got some experience with GPS systems, and in particular, the
              76CSx, MapSource, Topo Canada, Topo USA, TopoNav Quebec, TopoNav Ontario,
              or any other maps that are relevant to this group, then put all of this
              information together and upload it to the files.

              BTW, all of those individual files/FAQ's in the FAQ's folder are great.
              But they should be consolidated into one file so as the document can be
              downloaded and added to as needed.

              Bob M.

              PS - Here's something I discovered between MapSource and the 76CSx. You
              can outline a route in MapSource and upload to the 76CSx. But before you
              do, check the number of VIA points along the route. The 76CSx will only
              accept a maximum of 50. Any more and the 76CSx won't follow the route. A
              lot of those VIA points are redundant (like twists in the road, navigating
              through town, oops with the cursor, etc) as MapSource needs them to define
              the route. Delete those redundant VIA points on MapSource before you
              upload to the 76CSx (You can delete them on the 76CSx but it's faster if
              you do it on MapSource).

              Also, there's still some discussion as to the capacity of the SD card in
              the 76CSx? From what I've read, it's 2,025 tiles in only one file ((the
              "gmapsupp.img" file), subject to the maximum capacity of the SD card (look
              at the bottom left corner of MapSource to see that you haven't gone over
              the 2,025 tiles or the capacity of your SD card). You can upload more
              files but you have to name them something other than "gpsmapsupp.img". You
              are then faced with the problem of renaming files on your 76CSx when you
              are out in the field. Visit Andy's and Sophia's website to find out more
              http://asiteaboutnothing.net/g_60csx.html

              I assume the above is correct??

            • annoyedone
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3 8:26 AM
                --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, <rmoore@...> wrote:

                > BTW, all of those individual files/FAQ's in the FAQ's folder are
                > great.

                Most have them have been written by me (the group owner).

                > But they should be consolidated into one file so as the document
                > can be downloaded and added to as needed.

                Any user can upload their own FAQ file(s).

                > Also, there's still some discussion as to the capacity of the SD
                > card in the 76CSx?

                The card can be as large as you want assuming you have the newer firmware that supports SDHC cards (this has be available for a long time now).

                Up until the last firmware release the gmapsupp.img file could only be about 2GB. Now it can be up to 4GB (the maximum file size on a FAT32 formatted filesystem). And yes there's still the 2025 segment limit as well.

                I have a 8GB card in my 76CSx. My gmapsupp.img file is about 3.8GB and has 1958 segments from 5-6 map products.
              • MARK NEWBY
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3 1:17 PM
                  Thank you very much. Excellent commentary and links.

                  Mark

                  To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3 3:04 PM
                    --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, <rmoore@...> wrote:

                    > But before you do, check the number of VIA points along the route.
                    > The 76CSx will only accept a maximum of 50.

                    Actually that's the "follow-road" route limit. For "Off-road" you get 250.

                    BTW the URL of the image in the above old post won't work anymore (Yahoo!). Here's the new link.

                  • rmoore@cmhc-schl.gc.ca
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4 7:12 AM
                      Hello Annoyedone. Thanx for all the info you've put out there. It really
                      helped me to get my 76CSx up and running. Still have to do a lot of
                      learning to really get at all the features.

                      Thanx for adding to my understanding of the 76CSx. So, if I add your
                      comments on your two e-mails, my previous e-mail would be changed to
                      something like this?

                      There is a limit as to the number of maps (tiles) that can be stored on an
                      SD card in the 76CSx and the capacity of the memory card that the 76CSx
                      will recognize. This is due to the limitations of the FAT32 formatted
                      file system that is internal to the 76CSx. For firmware releases prior to
                      Version 3.90, the maximum file size that the 76CSx will recognize is 2GB.
                      With Version 3.90, the maximum file size that the 76CSx will recognize is
                      4GB. You can have a larger SD card, but the 76CSx won't recognize files
                      larger than 4GB. So, when selecting the maps you want to upload to your
                      76CSx, look at the bottom left corner of MapSource to see that you haven't
                      gone over the 2,025 tiles or 4GB capacity. So, if you want to increase the
                      capacity of your 76CSx, keep your eye on the "Updates & Downloads" webpage
                      on the Garmin website.
                      http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00469-00

                      You can upload more than one file via your SD card to the 76CSx but you
                      will have to name them something other than "gpsmapsupp.img". The 76CSx
                      will only recognize one file - the one that is named "gpsmapsupp.img". You
                      are then faced with the problem of trying to rename files on your 76CSx
                      when you are out in the field - an impossibility.

                      So, what if you really need more than that one map? A little trick of the
                      trade to overcome this problem is to use several SD cards. Each card can
                      hold the series of maps that you will need when using your 76CSx. It's a
                      lot easier to change SD cards while you're in the field than to try and
                      find a computer to change file names. By the way, make sure you label
                      those SD cards. A "white" permanent marker, (make sure it's "permanent"!)
                      available at your local stationer's store (Staples, Grand & Toy, etc) will
                      do the trick.

                      You can outline a route in MapSource and upload to the 76CSx. But before
                      you do, check the number of VIA points along the route. The 76CSx will
                      only accept a maximum of 50 for a "Follow-The-Road" route and a maximum of
                      250 for an "Off-The-Road" route. Any more and the 76CSx won't follow the
                      route. You will get an error message the first time you select that route.
                      However, all is not lost. A lot of those VIA points are redundant (like
                      twists in the road, navigating through town, "oops" with the cursor, etc)
                      as MapSource needs them to define the route. Delete those redundant VIA
                      points on MapSource before you upload to the 76CSx. You can delete them
                      on the 76CSx but it's faster if you do it in MapSource.

                      How's that?

                      Bob M.

                    • annoyedone
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4 8:07 AM
                        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, <rmoore@...> wrote:

                        > ...look at the bottom left corner of MapSource to see that you
                        > haven't gone over the 2,025 tiles or 4GB capacity.

                        FYI MapSource will show the size in red and display a warning message
                        if its over 4GB. The segment/tile limit isn't because that is GPS
                        model dependent.

                        > You can upload more than one file via your SD card to the 76CSx
                        > but you will have to name them something other than
                        > "gpsmapsupp.img".

                        Correct. I keep my generated/renamed .img files on rewritable DVD's
                        so I can copy them quickly to card(s) without going through the
                        mapset generation process again.

                        > You are then faced with the problem of trying to rename files on
                        > your 76CSx when you are out in the field - an impossibility.

                        Not impossible if you're also carrying a SmartPhone, PDA etc that
                        can accept microSDHC cards.
                      • pmcke
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4 1:27 PM
                          Hilarious thread..LOL. Thanks for that. I will be keeping an eye on progress with this one. In the meantime I will rememeber to save as a GPX first before saving as a GDB.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 4 4:36 PM
                            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                            > FYI MapSource will show the size in red and display a warning
                            > message if its over 4GB.

                            Just like this