Creating Tracks from text data?

  • shawnredf
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hello,

      I'm looking for the best way to create tracks from text data. I've
      been using TOPO to create waypoints, save as GPX, open in MapSource and
      then trace a track over the waypoints. As all this is in hopeful
      anticipation of an AZ Trail thru hike (800 miles) I'm looking for a
      less manual intensive process. I've heard of one but it requires
      purchase of another software program but am checking here first.

      Thanks much.

      Shawn
    • annoyedone
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "shawnredf" <sredfield@...>
        wrote:

        > I've heard of one but it requires purchase of another software
        > program but am checking here first.

        Would that be ExpertGPS? It allows you to draw tracks on maps.

        Anyway if you have already made route(s) in MapSource then you can
        convert it to a track (in a MapSource file) and then send that to your
        GPS with a program I wrote years ago.

        Download this package

        and use RouteTool on your MapSource (GDB) file.

        RouteTool -t RouteFile.gdb TrackFile.gdb
      • MARK NEWBY
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
          Hi Shawn,

          If you have track points in the correct format, you simply open up a new track and paste in the information. Yes, it is that simple - BUT - the devil is in the details. "Correct Format" implies hours of typing, certainly more tedious and demanding than simple digitizing, which you already know how to do.

          See. the problem is that MapSource is CRIPPLED. It is a marginally functional piece of software whose only purpose is to provide a minimally useful platform to get you to buy Garmin equipment and tease you with semi-useful routines. The instrument is superb - the PC based software is generic and purposefully limited.

          That being said, it is also a decent interim piece of software for transferring maps and road/trail vectors to your GPS. You have already indicated you know how. Just keep doing it. 800 miles? Do it a lot more.

          What I have to question is why do you want to do this at all? You cannot "route" a track, you FOLLOW a track. You are either on it or not on it. Just set your waypoints and follow the tracks that intersect it. It is not rocket science. You ask yourself a couple of simple questions and then take the action necessary to get yourself "back on track"
          Question 1: Am I on the track?
          Question 2: What is the bearing to the track?
          Question 3: What is the bearing to the next waypoint?
          Question 3: Am I paying attention such that I won't walk off a cliff while answering Questions 1, 2, and 3?

          It is actually that simple. The GPS is a reference instrument, it will not walk the trail for you, it will not route a complex track, and entering a track by typing/pasting it in as a series of points is like building a mountain a grain of sand at a time.

          Rethink your instrument, you are "off-track" so to speak.

          How do I know this? Purchase of "another software program" - one which is NOT crippled for the purpose of extracting dollars from an unsuspecting public that has to have the latest gadget but no idea how to use it. It can display vectors and create new vectors traced from a basemap - but then, so can MapSource.

          You are on the right track, just don't think the GPS or MapSource can do something it cannot. One other thing - you seem to indicate you are using the GPS to make waypoints - manually - then transferring them to Mapsource. Just skip that step, make the waypoints over the topo map in Mapsource and transfer it as a track to your GPS when it is complete.
          Mark

          To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.comFrom: sredfield@...: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:36:58 +0000Subject: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Creating Tracks from text data?

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2008
            Thanks Mark,

            I've given myself that lecture about how to use the device as well,
            and I suspect that after several days on the trail the GPS will get
            much less attention than it does on a day hike, and will only be used
            to confirm locations, much as you suggest.

            But the efforts so far have piqued my curiosity and I'd still like to
            find a way to convert these lists of way points (provided by the
            trail association) into tracks that appear on the 76CSx as lines,
            versus a series of dots.

            In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, MARK NEWBY <tireguy51@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Shawn,
            >
            > If you have track points in the correct format, you simply open up
            a new track and paste in the information. Yes, it is that simple -
            BUT - the devil is in the details. "Correct Format" implies hours of
            typing, certainly more tedious and demanding than simple digitizing,
            which you already know how to do.

            > See. the problem is that MapSource is CRIPPLED. It is a marginally
            functional piece of software whose only purpose is to provide a
            minimally useful platform to get you to buy Garmin equipment and
            tease you with semi-useful routines. The instrument is superb - the
            PC based software is generic and purposefully limited.

            > That being said, it is also a decent interim piece of software for
            transferring maps and road/trail vectors to your GPS. You have
            already indicated you know how. Just keep doing it. 800 miles? Do
            it a lot more.

            > What I have to question is why do you want to do this at all? You
            cannot "route" a track, you FOLLOW a track. You are either on it or
            not on it. Just set your waypoints and follow the tracks that
            intersect it. It is not rocket science. You ask yourself a couple
            of simple questions and then take the action necessary to get
            yourself "back on track"
            > Question 1: Am I on the track?
            > Question 2: What is the bearing to the track?
            > Question 3: What is the bearing to the next waypoint?
            > Question 3: Am I paying attention such that I won't walk off a
            cliff while answering Questions 1, 2, and 3?

            > It is actually that simple. The GPS is a reference instrument, it
            will not walk the trail for you, it will not route a complex track,
            and entering a track by typing/pasting it in as a series of points is
            like building a mountain a grain of sand at a time.

            > Rethink your instrument, you are "off-track" so to speak.
            >
            > How do I know this? Purchase of "another software program" - one
            which is NOT crippled for the purpose of extracting dollars from an
            unsuspecting public that has to have the latest gadget but no idea
            how to use it. It can display vectors and create new vectors traced
            from a basemap - but then, so can MapSource.

            > You are on the right track, just don't think the GPS or MapSource
            can do something it cannot. One other thing - you seem to indicate
            you are using the GPS to make waypoints - manually - then
            transferring them to Mapsource. Just skip that step, make the
            waypoints over the topo map in Mapsource and transfer it as a track
            to your GPS when it is complete.
            > Mark
            >
            > To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@...: sredfield@...: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:36:58
            +0000Subject: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Creating Tracks from text data?

            > Hello,I'm looking for the best way to create tracks from text data.
            I've been using TOPO to create waypoints, save as GPX, open in
            MapSource and then trace a track over the waypoints. As all this is
            in hopeful anticipation of an AZ Trail thru hike (800 miles) I'm
            looking for a less manual intensive process. I've heard of one but it
            requires purchase of another software program but am checking here
            first.Thanks much.Shawn

          • Gremalkin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
              I know there are websites out there that people share gps tracks of
              trails. They seem to be limited, in other words, I haven't found one
              site with a lot of tracks. You could try searching on gps tracklogs
              or gpx tracklogs. I was able to find tracks for some of the trails in
              my area this way - including the Darlington Trail and the Appalachian
              Trail. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I can send you
              some of the links from my bookmarks on my computer.

              Michelle

              Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos.

            • MARK NEWBY
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2008
                Hi Michelle,

                I have found that some of the best sites for precise tracks of outstanding riding trails are the mountain biking sites.

                I will take this opportunity to thank the mountain biking community for their excellent work, emphasize to any dirt biking enthusiasts that those of us who have engines need to exercise extreme care in approaching a mountain biker, and plead with the mountain bikers to please give us the right of way whether meeting head-on or being overtaken. We go 60mph, you go 6mph, great care and discipline is needed from both groups.

                In addition, the political groups that want to close all the trails forever affect both of our sports equally, so we need to work together to overcome the negative opposition. Stay The Trail is important in both activities.

                My favorite mountain biking website with lots of GPS tracks and waypoints is:

                http://trails.mtbr.com/

                My favorite motorcycle site with some GPS information is in Utah:

                http://www.motoutah.com

                I am in Colorado, and I have been traveling this state's trails for decades. I do not use a website for Colorado, I use advanced mapping software, Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs), government databases, and word-of-mouth among fellow enthusiasts.

                Do not hesitate for a second to go follow a trail where all you get is some waypoints of key features (such as trailheads, parking spots, bailouts, etc.). It is an absolute blast to find and track your own terrain.Best Regards,

                Mark

                To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.comFrom: gremalkin@...: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:17:51 -0400Subject: Re: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Re: Creating Tracks from text data?

                I know there are websites out there that people share gps tracks of trails. They seem to be limited, in other words, I haven't found one site with a lot of tracks. You could try searching on gps tracklogs or gpx tracklogs. I was able to find tracks for some of the trails in my area this way - including the Darlington Trail and the Appalachian Trail. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I can send you some of the links from my bookmarks on my computer.MichelleSent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos.On Oct 4, 2008, at 2:07 PM, "shawnredf" <sredfield@...> wrote:> Thanks Mark,>> I've given myself that lecture about how to use the device as well,> and I suspect that after several days on the trail the GPS will get> much less attention than it does on a day hike, and will only be used> to confirm locations, much as you suggest.>> But the efforts so far have piqued my curiosity and I'd still like to> find a way to convert these lists of way points (provided by the> trail association) into tracks that appear on the 76CSx as lines,> versus a series of dots.>> S>>> In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, MARK NEWBY <tireguy51@...>> wrote:>>>> Hi Shawn,>>>> If you have track points in the correct format, you simply open up> a new track and paste in the information. Yes, it is that simple -> BUT - the devil is in the details. "Correct Format" implies hours of> typing, certainly more tedious and demanding than simple digitizing,> which you already know how to do.>>>> See. the problem is that MapSource is CRIPPLED. It is a marginally> functional piece of software whose only purpose is to provide a> minimally useful platform to get you to buy Garmin equipment and> tease you with semi-useful routines. The instrument is superb - the> PC based software is generic and purposefully limited.>>>> That being said, it is also a decent interim piece of software for> transferring maps and road/trail vectors to your GPS. You have> already indicated you know how. Just keep doing it. 800 miles? Do> it a lot more.>>>> What I have to question is why do you want to do this at all? You> cannot "route" a track, you FOLLOW a track. You are either on it or> not on it. Just set your waypoints and follow the tracks that> intersect it. It is not rocket science. You ask yourself a couple> of simple questions and then take the action necessary to get> yourself "back on track">> Question 1: Am I on the track?>> Question 2: What is the bearing to the track?>> Question 3: What is the bearing to the next waypoint?>> Question 3: Am I paying attention such that I won't walk off a> cliff while answering Questions 1, 2, and 3?>>>> It is actually that simple. The GPS is a reference instrument, it> will not walk the trail for you, it will not route a complex track,> and entering a track by typing/pasting it in as a series of points is> like building a mountain a grain of sand at a time.>>>> Rethink your instrument, you are "off-track" so to speak.>>>> How do I know this? Purchase of "another software program" - one> which is NOT crippled for the purpose of extracting dollars from an> unsuspecting public that has to have the latest gadget but no idea> how to use it. It can display vectors and create new vectors traced> from a basemap - but then, so can MapSource.>>>> You are on the right track, just don't think the GPS or MapSource> can do something it cannot. One other thing - you seem to indicate> you are using the GPS to make waypoints - manually - then> transferring them to Mapsource. Just skip that step, make the> waypoints over the topo map in Mapsource and transfer it as a track> to your GPS when it is complete.>> Mark>>>> To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@...: sredfield@...: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:36:58> +0000Subject: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Creating Tracks from text data?>>>>>>>>>> Hello,I'm looking for the best way to create tracks from text data.> I've been using TOPO to create waypoints, save as GPX, open in> MapSource and then trace a track over the waypoints. As all this is> in hopeful anticipation of an AZ Trail thru hike (800 miles) I'm> looking for a less manual intensive process. I've heard of one but it> requires purchase of another software program but am checking here> first.Thanks much.Shawn>>>>>>>>>>>> __________________________________________________________>> Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with> Windows Live.>> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>>>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>

              • MARK NEWBY
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
                  Mapsource does not have that capability. To create a track, you put the cursor on the coordinates of interest (difficult to be precisely accurate) and digitize a trail using the Track tools.

                  Try this: Take one of your .gdb files and save it as a .txt file. Open it with Notepad and look at the sections of it. You will see parts for each of the major GPS functions - Maps, Waypoints, Tracks, and Routes. The problem is, MapSource will not read the text file that it created. So, dead end.

                  Now, I use Global Mapper. It is relatively easy to digitize a trail, save it as a .gpx file, then have MapSource read the .gpx, then take the track and copy it to my MASTER file, then program my GPS with it. Without the high-end software it is harder - but not impossible. Familiarize yourself with using the Trail tools in MapSource. Trying to do it with a text format is like looking for books of the bible in boiling alphabet soup - statistically, one will show up, but will you live long enough to see it?
                  Mark

                  To: Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.comFrom: sredfield@...: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:07:24 +0000Subject: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Re: Creating Tracks from text data?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Hey Shawn,

                    Could you possible send me one of those groups of waypoints? Perhaps a link to the site where they are available and the name of the trail of interest? I would like to see its format, and maybe I can figure out how to make it into a track on your GPS. Sometimes when you see the actual data it suggests the answer.

                    If I were going to send you a track, it would be like the attached .gpx file. MapSource will read it immediately, just tell it to look for .gpx files. Any group that relies on a series of points in a list is pretty lame, even the most basic of programs can deliver a track like the attached.

                    It is one of my favorite dirt bike adventures of all time, the Eva Conover-Devils Racetrack route in the San Rafael Swell. Overlay it on Topo 2008, then do "View in Google Earth" and go down to about 1000 ft altitude and "fly" it - great fun!Mark

                    Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn �10 hidden secrets� from Jamie.
                    ----------

                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
                    <gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" creator="MapSource 6.13.7" version="1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3/GpxExtensionsv3.xsd http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

                    <metadata>
                    <link href="http://www.garmin.com">
                    <text>Garmin International</text>
                    </link>
                    <time>2008-08-25T05:43:00Z</time>
                    <bounds maxlat="38.9836550" maxlon="-110.7220603" minlat="38.8355970" minlon="-110.8926273"/>
                    </metadata>

                    <trk>
                    <name>Eva Conover-Devils Racetrack</name>
                    <extensions>
                    <gpxx:TrackExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3">
                    <gpxx:DisplayColor>Green</gpxx:DisplayColor>
                    </gpxx:TrackExtension>
                    </extensions>
                    <trkseg>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8367128" lon="-110.7221461"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8407898" lon="-110.7268453"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8483000" lon="-110.7504917"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8517761" lon="-110.7531739"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8560462" lon="-110.7593966"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8553166" lon="-110.7622076"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8559818" lon="-110.7598902"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8549089" lon="-110.7572509"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8513684" lon="-110.7525731"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8486862" lon="-110.7508350"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8474846" lon="-110.7513286"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8457465" lon="-110.7547189"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8440943" lon="-110.7543112"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8430429" lon="-110.7554913"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8446093" lon="-110.7540751"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8461971" lon="-110.7538606"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8480210" lon="-110.7507063"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8515830" lon="-110.7528950"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8556385" lon="-110.7587529"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8560033" lon="-110.7596541"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8552523" lon="-110.7631088"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8565612" lon="-110.7643534"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8623762" lon="-110.7751680"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8631272" lon="-110.7790089"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8623548" lon="-110.7830215"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8552523" lon="-110.7891370"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8510895" lon="-110.7952739"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8489437" lon="-110.7963253"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8395452" lon="-110.7952309"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8374424" lon="-110.7983209"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8358760" lon="-110.8029128"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8355970" lon="-110.8074189"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8363695" lon="-110.8109380"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8356185" lon="-110.8111525"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8358545" lon="-110.8118606"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8372922" lon="-110.8122683"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8364983" lon="-110.8145643"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8369060" lon="-110.8178688"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8363051" lon="-110.8183194"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8382149" lon="-110.8219672"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8374639" lon="-110.8263660"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8382149" lon="-110.8276749"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8411546" lon="-110.8279539"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8417554" lon="-110.8302713"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8465834" lon="-110.8305932"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8478494" lon="-110.8337260"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8509607" lon="-110.8362366"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8541579" lon="-110.8467294"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8557887" lon="-110.8498407"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8576126" lon="-110.8516217"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8575053" lon="-110.8562351"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8591361" lon="-110.8591534"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8586211" lon="-110.8626939"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8612390" lon="-110.8669639"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8613677" lon="-110.8712555"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8625908" lon="-110.8744741"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8645220" lon="-110.8769847"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8652730" lon="-110.8802248"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8649297" lon="-110.8764053"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8667750" lon="-110.8732510"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8652086" lon="-110.8671785"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8669682" lon="-110.8643032"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8691568" lon="-110.8634663"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8696289" lon="-110.8600546"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8654876" lon="-110.8512784"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8659596" lon="-110.8516217"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8661528" lon="-110.8506347"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8682342" lon="-110.8499051"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8708949" lon="-110.8512569"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8744569" lon="-110.8505488"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8760662" lon="-110.8511496"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8769031" lon="-110.8524371"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8775253" lon="-110.8521367"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8778687" lon="-110.8537889"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8796496" lon="-110.8562780"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8833833" lon="-110.8553553"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8849068" lon="-110.8572865"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8853145" lon="-110.8615781"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8878036" lon="-110.8611275"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8918161" lon="-110.8584667"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8922668" lon="-110.8602477"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8917732" lon="-110.8611704"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8880181" lon="-110.8654405"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8881683" lon="-110.8660842"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8919020" lon="-110.8642603"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8922882" lon="-110.8651400"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8900352" lon="-110.8685304"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8884044" lon="-110.8682943"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8860440" lon="-110.8704401"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8890266" lon="-110.8704615"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8889194" lon="-110.8729721"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8912582" lon="-110.8708478"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8941336" lon="-110.8713628"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8959146" lon="-110.8697964"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8974166" lon="-110.8701826"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8982105" lon="-110.8677793"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9021373" lon="-110.8677364"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9078879" lon="-110.8655692"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9086819" lon="-110.8654834"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9096689" lon="-110.8677793"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9118147" lon="-110.8673931"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9116001" lon="-110.8698178"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9138532" lon="-110.8675433"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9147973" lon="-110.8648396"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9167070" lon="-110.8634878"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9197111" lon="-110.8642174"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9216638" lon="-110.8635307"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9305902" lon="-110.8698822"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9335299" lon="-110.8700753"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9356542" lon="-110.8713199"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9408469" lon="-110.8701182"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9411473" lon="-110.8715559"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9426923" lon="-110.8731438"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9454603" lon="-110.8746243"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9470267" lon="-110.8782292"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9509535" lon="-110.8806110"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9523053" lon="-110.8829285"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9507389" lon="-110.8800531"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9511681" lon="-110.8832718"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9545155" lon="-110.8828641"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9556098" lon="-110.8901168"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9578414" lon="-110.8896876"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9585710" lon="-110.8901597"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9595795" lon="-110.8926273"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9628196" lon="-110.8898593"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9651155" lon="-110.8914686"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9673901" lon="-110.8892585"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9726901" lon="-110.8886362"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9752865" lon="-110.8910609"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9836550" lon="-110.8886791"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9836121" lon="-110.8877993"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9812517" lon="-110.8815981"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9783764" lon="-110.8805252"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9780974" lon="-110.8813835"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9769173" lon="-110.8750964"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9743209" lon="-110.8755899"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9751792" lon="-110.8721567"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9730120" lon="-110.8721567"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9735055" lon="-110.8666206"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9698148" lon="-110.8671571"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9685917" lon="-110.8660842"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9675832" lon="-110.8634020"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9664674" lon="-110.8630157"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9670038" lon="-110.8623076"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9666176" lon="-110.8603764"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9652658" lon="-110.8583380"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9637423" lon="-110.8576942"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9628839" lon="-110.8554197"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9615750" lon="-110.8564282"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9580989" lon="-110.8541752"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9562535" lon="-110.8541752"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9553738" lon="-110.8527161"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9538717" lon="-110.8519650"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9541721" lon="-110.8494330"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9502668" lon="-110.8435322"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9507604" lon="-110.8396054"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9484429" lon="-110.8367730"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9480782" lon="-110.8338118"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9465761" lon="-110.8330823"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9467692" lon="-110.8315588"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9455032" lon="-110.8307434"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9445376" lon="-110.8275891"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9425850" lon="-110.8260656"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9423275" lon="-110.8231259"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9408684" lon="-110.8225680"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9411259" lon="-110.8208300"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9397097" lon="-110.8186842"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9378214" lon="-110.8174396"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9354610" lon="-110.8175040"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9333153" lon="-110.8155728"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9332080" lon="-110.8135773"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9333153" lon="-110.8163238"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9346457" lon="-110.8164097"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9353323" lon="-110.8184482"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9383364" lon="-110.8180834"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9387655" lon="-110.8190061"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9412546" lon="-110.8210231"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9407825" lon="-110.8227826"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9422202" lon="-110.8233405"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9424133" lon="-110.8260013"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9447308" lon="-110.8278466"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9456964" lon="-110.8313871"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9470696" lon="-110.8321167"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9470053" lon="-110.8335544"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9483142" lon="-110.8342625"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9486790" lon="-110.8372880"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9508033" lon="-110.8400775"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9501381" lon="-110.8428241"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9510608" lon="-110.8461929"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9493656" lon="-110.8451415"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9483786" lon="-110.8417941"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9423704" lon="-110.8369232"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9409971" lon="-110.8304644"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9396882" lon="-110.8285976"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9333153" lon="-110.8275891"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9326286" lon="-110.8251429"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9338946" lon="-110.8241344"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9337444" lon="-110.8215166"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9290452" lon="-110.8205725"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9248180" lon="-110.8211733"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9233804" lon="-110.8193923"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9210629" lon="-110.8194352"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9195180" lon="-110.8176328"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9193892" lon="-110.8147360"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9134669" lon="-110.8113671"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9121795" lon="-110.8082558"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9141536" lon="-110.8043505"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9127374" lon="-110.8031488"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9120293" lon="-110.8015824"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9107633" lon="-110.8010245"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9087462" lon="-110.8020759"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9039826" lon="-110.8020116"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9034891" lon="-110.7998443"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.9021802" lon="-110.7992864"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8983178" lon="-110.8006812"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8976741" lon="-110.8002091"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8958931" lon="-110.8017970"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8938761" lon="-110.8010674"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8924170" lon="-110.7980848"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8926744" lon="-110.7963038"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8913655" lon="-110.7960463"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8903570" lon="-110.7937289"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8888979" lon="-110.7931496"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8841558" lon="-110.7961322"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8818812" lon="-110.7966472"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8789630" lon="-110.7960249"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8763666" lon="-110.7943512"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8757658" lon="-110.7916046"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8725686" lon="-110.7887078"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8716888" lon="-110.7869483"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8716245" lon="-110.7810903"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8665819" lon="-110.7787944"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8649726" lon="-110.7762624"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8622689" lon="-110.7747174"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8564539" lon="-110.7640315"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8552308" lon="-110.7629372"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8558960" lon="-110.7592035"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8549948" lon="-110.7573796"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8508320" lon="-110.7520367"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8481712" lon="-110.7502986"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8409829" lon="-110.7273174"/>
                    <trkpt lat="38.8366699" lon="-110.7220603"/>
                    </trkseg>
                    </trk>

                    </gpx>

                  • Barry L. Lankford
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                      Depending on how the text data is formatted, this is probably pretty easy.
                      I've done similar things many times. I think I know of at least two
                      free programs that will accept text lists of waypoints or trackpoints and
                      allow you to do various things to them. It should be possible to avoid
                      having to manually trace waypoints into tracks.

                      First, have you looked at GPSbabel? I haven't used it in awhile, so I
                      can't recall just what sort of text files it will convert, but you should
                      take a look at it.

                      One thing you might not be aware of is that one format of text data is also
                      called "comma-separated-values" (with the file extension of ".csv"), and
                      this type of file can be imported into any spreadsheet program, such as
                      Excel. There it can be manipulated in many ways (depending on the
                      spreadsheet program's capabilities) to make it conform to the requirements
                      of other mapping programs.

                      Another way you can manipulate the text data is to write a simple program
                      in BASIC. This is usually my favorite way of manipulating data from one
                      form to another. QBASIC or QuickBASIC is easily found free or may be
                      already on an old Windows computer. It'll run in a MSDOS window under
                      Windows XP or Vista provided your windows is of the 32-bit variety. It'll
                      also run under DOSBOX, a DOS emulator, in Windows XP or Vista even in the
                      64-bit version. It's a very easy language to learn. I could send you
                      examples of file reading/writing programs to use as a start.

                      Another thing to remember is that you may be able to pass data between two
                      programs by using your GPS receiver as an intermediary. If you have data
                      in a program that can send data to your GPS and another program that can
                      read data from your GPS, the GPS receiver can act as a transfer mechanism
                      between the two programs. I think it might also be possible to convert the
                      data from one format (e.g., UTM or degrees) and/or map datum (e.g.,
                      NAD1927, WGS84, etc.) to another while it is in the GPS.

                      Another program that may work is USAPhotoMaps. It can upload and download
                      data to/from Garmin GPSes and it uses text files (IIRC .csv and .xml files)
                      as its file format for tracks, routes and waypoints (although I believe it
                      might use UTM in the text files for lat/lon instead of degrees). It can
                      also convert routes into tracks, I believe.

                      I've also used an old program called "Waypoint+" that uses
                      comma-separated-values text files as its file format. It can read and
                      write text files and upload or download tracks, waypoints and routes
                      to/from Garmin GPSes.

                      Without knowing more about the original format of the data, I can't offer
                      any sort of detailed procedure to convert it to a track. I've read all the
                      posts I can find in this thread, but something seems to be left out. Maybe
                      I've missed some posts or was confused by "careless quoting." When you
                      wrote "I've been using TOPO to create waypoints," what "TOPO" are you
                      referring to? I doubt you mean Garmin's Mapsource TOPO USA. Give a web
                      address for this "TOPO" and possibly a sample of the text data.

                      Barry