OpenStreetMap

  • Jim Lokken
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 1:35 PM
      Has anyone taken data from the OpenStreetMap (www.openstreetmap.org)
      project and created routable maps from them? I imagine it would take
      some time to download the entire US road data, let alone create a map
      from it. I am not sure the tools exist for creating garmin maps yet
      but I would like to test out creating a county map sized project if
      something is available to do that. If anyone knows, please respond.

      I last checked in on the project a few months ago when they were
      starting to convert over the latest TIGER data. The process looks
      complete now. I looked at my town on the map and see they also don't
      have my 5 year old street on it yet. I am planning on taking my bike
      out for a ride around town so I can update the streets for the
      project. It is small town (3000+) so it won't take too long to map
      the changes out, an hour or two riding around town and then uploading
      the tracks.

      I know CNv8 did not have the latest streets in it yet either but I am
      not sure about CNv9 as Garmin's online map viewer does not include
      CNv9 yet.

      I don't know how openstreetmap is on POI's yet either. But it might
      not be too long before it is as capable as the CN products. It is
      nice that any errors in the data can be easily fixed by any ordinary
      Joe (or Jane).