Re: 2GB map size limit broken!

  • dfwsfug
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi
      Happy New Year. Thank you for running memory test on 4gb microSD card
      and revealing the mb limit. The tile (segment)limit likely remains at
      2025 although not confirmed. My primary area of interest is Western
      Canada using Mapsource topo which meets a high standard of accuracy.All
      our western Canada provinces and northern territories total 4241 tiles
      1557.4mb would fit 2gb microSD card but unfortunately would need to be
      be partitioned into 3 files 2024 2024 193 possibly using a renaming
      technique might work. Clumbersome at best requiring: GPS shut down
      remove microSD, load SD adaptor, load card reader and rename on
      Laptop....then reverse the process. Is there any aftermarket compliers
      that could merge gmapsupp.img tiles say 3 to 1 to avoid busting the
      2025 tile limit? Perhaps on downside might slow the GPS with larger mb
      tiles. Each Mapsource tile is about .5mb or less any ideas on the issue
      welcome? Or use microSD card library method of 3 cards with Lat Long
      boundries and more than one GPS.....kinda takes us full circle back to
      good ole' days of paper topo whereby when one topo sheet runs off the
      edge pickup the adjoining sheet.
      SAR Volunteer
      http://www.casarasask.ca/

      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dfwsfug" <dfwsfug@> wrote:
      >
      > > What was your total tile count for the gmapsupp.img file of
      > > 2,321,285,120 bytes?
      >
      > 601
      > (CN Europe v9 is 600 + the ONE segment I mentioned from CN NA 2008 NT)

    • annoyedone
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dfwsfug" <dfwsfug@...> wrote:

        > The tile (segment)limit likely remains at 2025 although not
        > confirmed.

        Yes. I don't know of an easy way to test it. Your method of zooming
        out on the GPS will give a rough idea but identifying the precise
        segments displayed would be very tedious.

        > ...partitioned into 3 files 2024 2024 193 possibly using a renaming
        > technique might work.

        It DOES work. As of yesterday I have two IMG files on my 6GB card.
        Renaming them (I've tried it) to gmapsupp.img works just fine.

        > Clumbersome at best requiring: GPS shut down remove microSD,
        > load SD adaptor, load card reader and rename on Laptop...

        Incorrect. I've renamed my files a few times and haven't removed the
        card to do it. Connect the GPS via the USB cable and select Mass
        Storage mode.

        The GPS becomes a large/expensive USB card reader when selected. When
        you're done renamimg etc just press/hold the power button to restore
        GPS mode.
      • dfwsfug
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
          Hi
          Thanks for tips <mass storage> technique. Your GPS reads maps to
          screen from 6gb microSD OK as long as active gmapsupp.img file is
          2024 tiles or less and file memory is 2.285gb or less.....
          right/wrong?

          <annoyedone@...> wrote:

          > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dfwsfug" <dfwsfug@>
          wrote:

          > > The tile (segment)limit likely remains at 2025 although not
          > > confirmed.
          >
          > Yes. I don't know of an easy way to test it. Your method of zooming
          > out on the GPS will give a rough idea but identifying the precise
          > segments displayed would be very tedious.
          >
          > > ...partitioned into 3 files 2024 2024 193 possibly using a
          renaming
          > > technique might work.
          >
          > It DOES work. As of yesterday I have two IMG files on my 6GB card.
          > Renaming them (I've tried it) to gmapsupp.img works just fine.
          >
          > > Clumbersome at best requiring: GPS shut down remove microSD,
          > > load SD adaptor, load card reader and rename on Laptop...
          >
          > Incorrect. I've renamed my files a few times and haven't removed the
          > card to do it. Connect the GPS via the USB cable and select Mass
          > Storage mode.

          b=9

          > The GPS becomes a large/expensive USB card reader when selected.
          When
          > you're done renamimg etc just press/hold the power button to restore
          > GPS mode.

        • annoyedone
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dfwsfug" <dfwsfug@...> wrote:

            > Your GPS reads maps to screen from 6gb microSD OK as long as
            > active gmapsupp.img file is 2024 tiles or less and file memory is
            > 2.285gb or less...

            As explained yesterday one IMG file contains ONLY City Navigator
            Europe v9 maps. It consists of 600 segments and results in a
            gmapsupp.img file of 2,285,436,928 bytes or 2.128GB.

            The other IMG file consists of many map products, including topo's.
            It's made up of 1152 segments and the file size is 2,131,460,096 bytes
            or 1.985GB (i.e. less than 2GB).

            My tests yesterday seemed to indicate that you can go over 2GB for a
            single map product but not if multiple ones are included.

            As for the 2025 segment limit that for someone else to test. Creating
            large topo mapset takes a long time.
          • dfwsfug
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
              Hi
              Thanks for limit update very helpful. Analysis of Mapsource tiles
              show variance in size and memory small tile 15x20 nautical
              miles .222mb to largest tile 60x80nm 1.32mb. Therefore do you think a
              mix within one gmapsupp.img would work? Mapsource topo tiles plus
              aftermarket topo files which could be complied large of remote areas
              within the file without busting the tile and mb limits?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
                --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dfwsfug" <dfwsfug@...> wrote:

                > Therefore do you think a mix within one gmapsupp.img would work?

                No idea. You'll have to try it.
              • dfwsfug
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Hi
                  Haven't experimented with public source topo understand compiling large
                  tiles very time intense. Hence asking on Yahoo group likely someone
                  has "been there done that." Actually wishing Mapsource with excellent
                  accuracy could be grouped by real world map areas of choice. However
                  tile limits restrict areas of interest in western Canada necessitating
                  large tile groupings.

                  wrote:

                  > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "dfwsfug" <dfwsfug@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Therefore do you think a mix within one gmapsupp.img would work?
                  >
                  > No idea. You'll have to try it.

                • dfwsfug
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                    > No idea. You'll have to try it.

                    Hi All
                    Update purchased 1gb microSd cards uploaded 2024tiles 621.39mb of
                    topo which successfully displayed on GPS. Will use library approach
                    for remaining Western Canada topo of interest 3 cards. Thanks for
                    your help.
                    Responding to other posts in this group.
                    While on road trip had gps running elevation field active while
                    passing a roadside tower bristling with usual array of microwave
                    dishes cell poles etc. The GPS suddenly dropped 1000ft in elevation
                    was going down hill but a very gentle slope. Afew seconds later the
                    auto routing recalculated although we were nowhere near next wpt.
                    Checked satellite page count 7 or 8 acquired....clearly the tower
                    signals effected the GPS. Interestingly upon return on the other far
                    side of freeway no effect when passing same tower.
                    "Plan for Rescue"
                    Would still recommend you carry a pocket strobe as means to signal if
                    you need help in backcountry. As far a western USA and Canada forests
                    of coniferous types with tapered tops so aerial resources will see a
                    strobe in thick forest.Thick jungle canopy might be a different
                    story. Firstly maybe be no resources out there looking if not in USA
                    or Canada. However in jungle "Plan for rescue" might include moving
                    into a clearing to be spotted.
                    An alternative signal device based on story from Pacific coast. A
                    float plane turned turtle after a bad landing all egressed and swam
                    to shore amongst the cabin debris that floated up was a cheap
                    disposable camera which was grabbed as they swam to shore. It was
                    cold hypothermia was a serious problem. As daylight was failing and
                    search aircraft was making its final pass before calling it a day due
                    to darkness. The flash from the disposable camera (cheap strobe) was
                    used to attract attention. Rescue was accomplished saving a very wet
                    cold night in the backcountry. Most hikers Mt bikers carry a digital
                    camera which has a flash....but "Plan for Rescue" learn if it will
                    flash/overide daylight remembering search resources could be covering
                    the the ground quickly 1/2mile in 14 seconds again "Plan for Rescue"
                    by being prepared. Leave accurate ETA info with loved ones or
                    responsible persons it only takes afew words and less minutes.
                    Enjoy your GPS a marvelous device and the great backcountry.
                    Good Luck