Re: 76Cx/76CSx update: GPS Chipset Type G software version 2.90

  • antoniost2
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
      My WebUpdater can't connect to the Garmin server to retrieve/check the
      updates. It says "a communication error has occurred." Anyone else
      experiencing this?

      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
      <annoyedone@...> wrote:

      > For 'x' models ONLY.
      >
      > Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
      >
      > * Improved ephemeris collection under dynamics.
      > * Additional maintenance improvements.
      >
      > 634KB download

      https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=1629&product=010-00469-00&cID=161&pID=351

    • antoniost2
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
        Never mind, it started working again after I set my computer's IP to
        DMZ on my router. After, I disabled DMZ, and it still works. Wierd.

        <annoyedone@...> wrote:

        > For 'x' models ONLY.
        >
        > Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
        >
        > * Improved ephemeris collection under dynamics.
        > * Additional maintenance improvements.
        >
        > 634KB download

        https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=1629&product=010-00469-00&cID=161&pID=351

      • Mike Earls
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
          I don't remember if I got that specific error or not, but I learned that Webupdater will not run using Earthlink's TotalAccess software.

          TotalAccess is nothing more than Earthlink's front end to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

          I can close TotalAccess and load Internet Explorer and Webupdater will run fine.

          Mike

          <annoyedone@...> wrote:

          > For 'x' models ONLY.
          >
          > Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
          >
          > * Improved ephemeris collection under dynamics.
          > * Additional maintenance improvements.
          >
          > 634KB download

          https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=1629&product=010-00469-00&cID=161&pID=351

        • Richard Ness
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
            This is not a firmware update, which they release as a beta first.

            (To work out the bugs)

            This is a chipset update - you can upgrade with confidence.

          • annoyedone
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Ness" <richard@...>
              wrote:

              > This is not a firmware update, which they release as a beta first.

              Actually if you look at the history here

              you'll see that beta's are only released about 50% of the time.

              As for this not being a firmware update it is. Its a firmware update
              for the SiRF chip that's in the 'x' models.

              http://www.sirf.com

              These models have two processors. The SiRF chip processes the
              satellite signals and computes the position. The other (ARM based)
              processor handles the user interface and other functions.

              That's why both version numbers are displayed.

            • Bill Kerr
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                It claims to be Nov 27, 2006
                Is this a typo?

                Bill

                On 01/12/2007, annoyedone <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com<Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Richard Ness" <richard@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > This is not a firmware update, which they release as a beta first.
                >
                > Actually if you look at the history here

                > you'll see that beta's are only released about 50% of the time.
                >
                > As for this not being a firmware update it is. Its a firmware update
                > for the SiRF chip that's in the 'x' models.
                >
                > http://www.sirf.com
                >
                > These models have two processors. The SiRF chip processes the
                > satellite signals and computes the position. The other (ARM based)
                > processor handles the user interface and other functions.
                >
                > That's why both version numbers are displayed.

                <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
                S c o t l a n d

              • annoyedone
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                  --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kerr" <billgkerr@...>
                  wrote:

                  > It claims to be Nov 27, 2006
                  > Is this a typo?

                  If you read the whole thread you'll see that I mistakenly announced
                  2.90 as new. That came about because I ran Webupdater and saw the
                  update but since I prefer to download and manually install updates I
                  went to Garmin's site. I saw the Nov 27 and misread the 2006 as 2007.
                  After I'd (re)installed this the Webupdater still showed an available
                  update so I went back and checked and saw my mistake.

                  The update, as of yesterday, is

                  GPS Chipset Type G software version 3.00

                  but you can only get it via Webupdater at this time.
                • Hardwire
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Any idea what the changes might be?

                    _____

                    --- In Garmin_GPSmap_ <mailto:Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>
                    wrote:

                    > This is not a firmware update, which they release as a beta first.

                    Actually if you look at the history here

                    http://groups.
                    tbl=10> yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/database?method=reportRows&tbl=10

                    http://www.sirf. <http://www.sirf.com> com

                    These models have two processors. The SiRF chip processes the
                    satellite signals and computes the position. The other (ARM based)
                    processor handles the user interface and other functions.

                    That's why both version numbers are displayed.

                    http://ph.groups.
                    yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/photos/view/2330?b=2

                  • annoyedone
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Hardwire" <hardwire@...> wrote:

                      > Any idea what the changes might be?

                      No. Webupdater said "no update history available" and Garmin's site only
                      shows the 2.90 update from (almost exactly) a year ago.

                      That said 2.90 is 445,024 bytes while 3.00 is 481,984. I suspect more
                      than a minor change.
                    • Bill Kerr
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                        Thanks.
                        I read the thread and got confused!

                        --
                        <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
                        S c o t l a n d

                      • Hardwire
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                          Thanks!

                          Just did webupdater on my streetpilot c5xx and it picked up the 3.0 update
                          also...

                          _____

                          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_ <mailto:Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>
                          76C@yahoogroups.com, "Hardwire" <hardwire@...> wrote:

                          > Any idea what the changes might be?

                          No. Webupdater said "no update history available" and Garmin's site only
                          shows the 2.90 update from (almost exactly) a year ago.

                          That said 2.90 is 445,024 bytes while 3.00 is 481,984. I suspect more
                          than a minor change.

                        • pudu51
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                            wrote:

                            > Any idea what the changes might be?

                            As to my short-term experience it seems as if reception and/or
                            processing of WAAS/EGNOS signals has been improved: for the
                            first time my 76CX could receive correction signals from
                            EGNOS satellite Inmarsat IOR-W (PRN 126; ID 39) here in
                            northern Germany :-)!

                            HTH

                            pudu51
                          • annoyedone
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "pudu51" <pudu1@...> wrote:

                              > As to my short-term experience it seems as if reception and/or
                              > processing of WAAS/EGNOS signals has been improved:

                              I've noticed that as well. In particular WAAS corrections (D in the
                              satellite signal bars) seem to appear quicker.
                            • Hardwire
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                                That sounds great! Thanks!

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                                  > Actually if you look at the history here

                                  method=reportRows&tbl=10

                                  > you'll see that beta's are only released about 50% of the time.
                                  >
                                  > As for this not being a firmware update it is. Its a firmware update
                                  > for the SiRF chip that's in the 'x' models.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.sirf.com
                                  >
                                  > These models have two processors. The SiRF chip processes the
                                  > satellite signals and computes the position. The other (ARM based)
                                  > processor handles the user interface and other functions.
                                  >
                                  > That's why both version numbers are displayed.

                                  b=2

                                  I suppose I should have been clearer - yes, both are 'firmware'. I
                                  was trying to say is that this 3.0 release isn't for the 'OS'
                                  (firmware) so to speak of the unit.

                                  Question: would this possibly be coming directly from SiRF? Garmin
                                  tweaks specific for their hardware implementation incorporated?
                                • annoyedone
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    wrote:

                                    > Question: would this possibly be coming directly from SiRF? Garmin
                                    > tweaks specific for their hardware implementation incorporated?

                                    I'd say so. SiRF probably releases updates and allows OEM's, such as
                                    Garmin, to tweak/customize stuff to meet their needs.
                                  • anschwartz02
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      To verify that that the change has taken place, you need to reboot
                                      your GPS.

                                      First, check the versions:

                                      Menu > Menu > Setup > System > Menu > Software Version

                                      Mine said: Software version 3.50 , GPS SW Version 2.90

                                      I then ran the updater program. There was nothing specifically that
                                      said that I had 2.90 and that a new version, 3.00, was available.
                                      After recognizing the device, the next screen said:

                                      "Your Garmin device already has the latest software version." Below
                                      that was a radio button selection that from which I could (1) Proceed
                                      to check for additional updates such as voice updates or (2) Reinstall
                                      the same version. I picked (1), even though my 76csx has yet to talk
                                      to me. <g>

                                      The next screen had a check box about GPS chipset type G; no version
                                      number. Below that, in a text box, there was a message that said "No
                                      change history found for this update." (Maybe that related
                                      specifically to my unit.)

                                      I checked the box and then the [Next] button ...

                                      The computer system did its thing, downloaded files and then said it
                                      was done. The GPS indicated that some files were being transferred.

                                      Then I checked the version again on the unit; there was no change. But
                                      then I rebooted the unit by turning it off and then on again. Now,
                                      when checking the version on the GPS, it said:

                                      Software version 3.50 , GPS SW Version 3.00

                                      Success!! But the screen information could have been better and more
                                      explicit.

                                      ... Andy

                                      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
                                      <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                                      <<My apologies. The update is actually GPS Chipset Type G software
                                      version 3.00 and is currently only available via Garmin's Webupdater.
                                      There's no release history for 2.90 to 3.00.>>
                                    • Brent
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                        I just received this reply from Garmin regarding my request for info
                                        about the new chipset software:

                                        Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

                                        The change log details between Chipset type G ver 2.90 and ver 3.00 are
                                        as follows,

                                        Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
                                        Changes to support manufacturing.

                                        Nothing too exciting...