city navigator (non NT) with 76csx: SD vs. DVD

  • tgos3
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi
      I'm a new member who is awaiting deliver(today) of a 76CSx.

      I am mostly going to use the unit for hiking (with map and compass,
      finding my UTM position with the GPS, since TOPO USA is useless to me
      in my area, based on the screen/demo at Garmin's website). But I am
      "directionally challenged" (really -- some kind of dyslexia) and will
      get lost a lot less often in the car if i use autorouting.

      I do not have a DVD player in my computer. So if i want to autoroute,
      i need either to

      1) buy City Navigator on SD, or

      2) buy an external USB 2.0 DVD player [my computer is toward the end
      of its service life and doesn't merit an internal drive] and the DVD
      of City Navigator. I figure the non NT version may work better, if it
      can still be found.

      Given the various horror stories posted on the net about unlock issues
      with the DVD (i know most people probably do ok), I am tempted to get
      the SD card, but i wonder if I am giving up any capability by doing so.

      Any advice from the experienced will be appreciated

      thanks

      Ted G
    • annoyedone
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "tgos3" <egosfield@...> wrote:

        > I figure the non NT version may work better, if it can still be
        > found.

        I'd go with the NT version with a 76CSx if you get the DVD.

        > I am tempted to get the SD card, but i wonder if I am giving up any
        > capability by doing so.

        I'd really try and go with the DVD and a 1-2GB microSD card. Then
        you'll be able to view the maps, create routes etc on your PC. If/when
        you update your PC you'll have everything while the SD card will only
        work in the GPS.

        The latest version of MapSource (PC software for the maps) only works
        with Windows 2000 or later but there's a version that'll work, minus
        some nice features, with Win98. You didn't say what OS you're using.

        I bet you could find a sub-$10 internal DVD-ROM drive somewhere.
      • tgos3
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
          <annoyedone@...> wrote:
          > I'd go with the NT version with a 76CSx if you get the DVD.

          I have read a few comments from (?)76CSX users that the GPS maps
          disappeared intermittently during use with NT -- any comments?

          > the SD card will only
          > work in the GPS.

          that's answered my question -- i do give up a lot of capabilities
          with the card

          > You didn't say what OS you're using.

          XP Professional. 1.0GHz Athlon CPU, 1.5 Gb RAM, 40Gb HD x 2,
          external USB HD 160 Gb. For a number of reasons I will never update
          to Vista. I have some hardware and software that will not be
          supported in Vista. I do a bunch of digital photography stuff in
          large format.

          > I bet you could find a sub-$10 internal DVD-ROM drive somewhere.

          I am willing to buy a Sony external USB burner/drive (DRX 840 U)for
          about $120 if i really need to add DVD, and it looks like I will. I
          just thought it would be nice to avoid the outlay right now if there
          were some way for the GPS to communicate the maps to the PC.
          Apparently not. I guess I will see what kind of cheap DVD drive i
          can find, just to see what there is.

          I will eventually be able to use an external DVD burner with a solid
          state audio field recorder I am contemplating (Sound Devices 722 if
          anyone else is interested) so I am not totally opposed to buying one.

          Thanks for the help

          Ted G
        • annoyedone
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "tgos3" <egosfield@...> wrote:

            > I have read a few comments from (?)76CSX users that the GPS maps
            > disappeared intermittently during use with NT -- any comments?

            Hasn't happened to me.
          • Len G. Carpenter
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
              You can install it over a network, I have done that, if you have someone
              with a computer with a dvd in it. Or they could turn it into an ISO
              with many different software packages out there then install the
              software on your computer, transfer the ISO file to your computer and
              mount it with what ever software and then install it from the virtual
              dvd.

              --

              Bumper sticker of the year: If you can read this, thank a
              teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."