Introduction

  • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 5, 2007
      My first posting here, so I will introduce myself.

      French (well, Breton) exiled in Paraguay since 1998, 59, married, two kids (12
      and 17) plus assorted cats and dogs, cars, motorcycle, etc.

      I have had for the last ten years a GPS38 living on the dashboard of my car,
      and been very pleased with it.

      Sadly, it is aging ungracefully, has more and more "dead" lines in the
      display, and I have been for some time considering getting something more
      modern.

      Question; Anyone know of a repair shop for Garmin units ?
      And do you think it would be worth the expense of having it repaired ?

      Next question, I'm thinking or replacing the GPS38 with either a GPSMAP 76, or
      a eTrex Vista; which would you advise ?
      (Grovelling apologies if it is considered rude to mention eTrex units
      here ;-3)

      Finally; is the power/interface socket the same on the GPSMAP 76 as on the
      GPS38 ?
      (Asking to know whether I need to buy new car power adapter, PC cable, etc. or
      if I can continue using those I bodged with pPlugs a long time ago)

      TIA,

      Ron, on the banks of the Paraguay River.
      --
      The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
      that there is no man really clever who has not found that he is stupid.

    • annoyedone
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 6, 2007
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI"
        <renaud@...> wrote:

        > And do you think it would be worth the expense of having it
        > repaired ?

        IMO your GPS38 has had a long useful life but its time for it to
        retire ;-)

        > Next question, I'm thinking or replacing the GPS38 with either a
        > GPSMAP 76, or a eTrex Vista; which would you advise ?

        For use in a car I'd go for a 76 over a eTrex. Then there's the
        question of which 76 model and whether you want new or used.

        > Finally; is the power/interface socket the same on the GPSMAP 76 as
        > on the GPS38 ?

        The 76 models use a round 4-pin connector (pFranc) but I'm not sure if
        the power requirements are the same. This page may help.

        http://www.syz.com/gps/power.html
      • Lou
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 6, 2007
          Different power connector for 38 and 76CSx and different voltages - 38 has 5 pin (dead one in center) which 76CSx does not. The 38's will plug in but not supply the required volts.

          Lou

          No Bad Days

          The trouble with doing nothing is how do I know when I'm done?

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 6, 2007
            On Friday 06 July 2007, my mailbox was graced by a missive
            from "Lou" <bajalou@...> who wrote:

            > Different power connector for 38 and 76CSx and different voltages - 38 has
            > 5 pin (dead one in center) which 76CSx does not.  The 38's will plug in but
            > not supply the required volts.

            Good, I can reuse the cable and garmin-side plug, and cellphone car supplies
            giving of 3 Volts are two a penny here !

            (I take it the 76 needs 3 Volts, since it uses 2 AA batteries...)

            Thanks,

            Ron.
            --
            Luck, that's when preparation and opportunity meet.
            -- P.E. Trudeau

          • annoyedone
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 6, 2007
              <renaud@...> wrote:

              > (I take it the 76 needs 3 Volts, since it uses 2 AA batteries...)

              Incorrect. It needs at least about 8V and accepts up to about 30V.
            • Lou
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 6, 2007
                From my 76CSx manuel

                "Power
                Source: 2 1.5 volt AA batteries, USB power, 12V adapter cable or up to 36 VDC external power"

                The cord for the 38 did not provide enough power. The 12V Adapter Cable just passes 12VDC thru to the unit. I have mine wired directly to the battery in my vehicle. The 38 converts the voltage to 6 volts - not enough.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 6, 2007
                  from "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> who wrote:

                  > > (I take it the 76 needs 3 Volts, since it uses 2 AA batteries...)
                  >
                  > Incorrect. It needs at least about 8V and accepts up to about 30V.

                  Good, in that case the GPS38 power supply should work straight off the shelf.

                  Thanks,

                  Ron.
                  --
                  If you believe what you like in the Gospel
                  and reject what you do not like,

                • seagull1117
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 7, 2007
                    <renaud@...> wrote:

                    > On Friday 06 July 2007, my mailbox was graced by a missive
                    > from "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> who wrote:
                    >
                    > > > (I take it the 76 needs 3 Volts, since it uses 2 AA batteries...)
                    > >
                    > > Incorrect. It needs at least about 8V and accepts up to about 30V.
                    >
                    > Good, in that case the GPS38 power supply should work straight off
                    the shelf.

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Ron.
                    Ron you can hack your existing cable and plugs to supply a Garmin 76.
                    Remove any regulator from the cigarette lighter plug and run the
                    vehicle 12 volys straight to the Pfranc plug. you may also have to
                    amputate the centre pin on the Pfranc plug.

                    An alternative is to use the USB cable supplied with the 76 and buy
                    a USB cigarette adapter commonly sold for IPods. Just beware with the
                    later solution that if the USB supply is not regulated to 5.3 volts
                    you could void the warranty on the 76.

                    I bought one and on testing found it was supplying 5.8 volts. I did
                    not risk using it and swapped it for a different brand that supplied
                    5.25 volts.
                  • Bill Kerr
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 7, 2007
                      Hi Seagull,
                      That's interesting.
                      I was just thinking of getting a USB cigarette adapter .
                      What supplier did you use? Or was it just a random find?

                      Bill

                      --
                      <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
                      S c o t l a n d

                    • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 7, 2007
                        Ladies, and Gentlemen, and sportsmen.

                        I want to thank you all for the kind welcome and help you gave me those last
                        few days.

                        Guided by the advice you gave me I have just ordered from Amazon a GPSMAP 76
                        (not "C") unit to replace my GPS38; it may be slightly obsolete, but the
                        price ($166) was irresistible, and I cannot see the colour screen being worth
                        that much difference in price.

                        So since this list is for the 76C, it is good bye from me.

                        Gos bless,

                        Ron, on the banks of the Paraguay Rivcer.
                        --
                        Well, if I called the wrong number,
                        why did you answer the phone ?

                      • seagull1117
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 8, 2007
                          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kerr" <billgkerr@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Seagull,
                          > That's interesting.
                          > I was just thinking of getting a USB cigarette adapter .
                          > What supplier did you use? Or was it just a random find?
                          >
                          > Bill

                          Hi Bill
                          Below is a message I posted on the 60Cx group a while back. I only
                          tested one sample of each brand so YMMV.
                          I am pretty sure it also applies to the 60C(S)x but I have a 76C x
                          and I have tried a couple of cigarette plug to USB plug power
                          supplies. I recall reading that Garmin indicates the voltage should
                          not exceed 5.5 volts and some of the cheaper adapters are not that
                          well regulated. One I tried with a dummy load was 5.8 volts

                          However I found one
                          Power Tech Plus MP3042 iPod white.
                          That seems to be well regulated (to 5.3 volts) and only cost the
                          equivalent of $7.00 USD
                        • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007
                            Anyone know where I could download MapSource for Windows 98 ?

                            Garmin only offers it for "legacy software", but only for Windows 2000 and XP,
                            and I need something older ;-3(

                            Cheers,

                            Ron.
                            --
                            They laughed at Einstein.
                            They laughed at the Wright Brothers.

                          • Allory Deiss
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007
                              MapSource For Legacy Operating Systems software version 6.11.5 as of
                              December 7, 2006

                              Notes:

                              * WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a
                              MapSource product.
                              * This download is for users of Windows 98, Windows Me and Windows NT.

                              http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3313

                              "Legacy" is what you need.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007
                                On Tuesday 10 July 2007, my mailbox was graced by a missive
                                from "Allory Deiss" <allory@...> who wrote:

                                > MapSource For Legacy Operating Systems software version 6.11.5 as of
                                > December 7, 2006
                                >
                                > Notes:
                                >
                                >     * WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a
                                > MapSource product.
                                >     * This download is for users of Windows 98, Windows Me and Windows NT.
                                >
                                > http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3313
                                >
                                > "Legacy" is what you need.

                                According to
                                http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3313#Instruct
                                it requires Windows 2000 or XP.

                                ???????

                                My gast is thorougly flabbered, but I"ll give it a try anyway.

                                Thanks,

                                Ron.
                                --
                                They laughed at Einstein.
                                They laughed at the Wright Brothers.
                                But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                                -- Carl Sagan

                              • Len G. Carpenter
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007
                                  Legacy software is the ones that will run on windows 98

                                  --

                                  Bumper sticker of the year: If you can read this, thank a
                                  teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."

                                • Allory Deiss
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007
                                    I suspect that is a result of cut and paste without adequate proofing.
                                    Either way, what you can download is only an update from a previous version.
                                    Your problem may be in getting it installed in the first place if you are
                                    buying a new product. I don't know if they have both current and legacy
                                    versions on the disk. You may have to find a copy of one of the older
                                    products to get it to install.

                                    An archive of most versions of MapSource is available at
                                    http://gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/ if you find yourself needing
                                    something earlier than 6.11.5

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 10, 2007
                                        On Tuesday 10 July 2007, my mailbox was graced by a missive
                                        from "Allory Deiss" <allory@...> who wrote:

                                        > An archive of most versions of MapSource is available at
                                        > http://gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/ if you find yourself needing
                                        > something earlier than 6.11.5

                                        Ta,

                                        Cheers,

                                        Ron.
                                        --
                                        Lorsque rien n'est interdit,
                                        nul ne sait ce qui est permis.

                                      • antoniost2
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 11, 2007
                                          I hope you're not using Windows 98 to connect to the internet, as
                                          Microsoft is no longer providing security updates for that version or
                                          older. You're probably better off upgrading to Windows XP.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 11, 2007
                                            On Wednesday 11 July 2007, my mailbox was graced by a missive
                                            from "antoniost2" <Antonio.thomas@...> who wrote:

                                            > I hope you're not using Windows 98 to connect to the internet, as
                                            > Microsoft is no longer providing security updates for that version or
                                            > older.

                                            I'm not that stupid thank you ;-3)

                                            Although I'm behind a firewall machine (running IPCop Linux) the network
                                            interfaces on my desktop are disabled while I run Windows, and all
                                            downloading / Internet activity is done under Linux.

                                            I dual-boot so I can use various Windows progs that have no Linux versions,
                                            mainly in the specific fields of Genealogy and GPS, but use Linux (PCLinuxOS)
                                            for all the daily computing.

                                            Thanks for the advice all the same.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Ron.
                                            --
                                            Les pierres du chantier ne sont en vrac qu'en apparence s'il est,
                                            perdu dans le chantier, un homme, serait-il seul, qui pense cathédrale.

                                          • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 8, 2007
                                              from "Lou" <bajalou@...> who wrote:

                                              > From my 76CSx manuel
                                              >
                                              > "Power
                                              > Source: 2 1.5 volt AA batteries, USB power, 12V adapter cable or up to 36
                                              > VDC external power"

                                              > The cord for the 38 did not provide enough power.  The 12V Adapter Cable
                                              > just passes 12VDC thru to the unit.  I have mine wired directly to the
                                              > battery in my vehicle.  The 38 converts the voltage to 6 volts - not
                                              > enough.

                                              So I dutifully modified my GPS38 power cable, adding a small slider switch so
                                              I can output either the 38's regulated 5 to 8 volts supply or the
                                              straight-out-of-the-battery 12 volts for the 76.

                                              Measured the tension before plugging the battery-less 76, was 8 Volts in the
                                              38 switch position, and the 76 works perfectly on that.

                                              Aaaaaaargh !

                                              Make note to self: GPSMAP76 works perfectly on GPS38 car power supply.

                                              Cheers,

                                              Ron.
                                              --
                                              Almost anything derogatory you could say
                                              about today's software design would be accurate.

                                            • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 27, 2007
                                                Does the use of an external antenna (Gilsson) influence noticeably the time it
                                                takes for the batteries to run down ?

                                                Cheers,

                                                Ron.
                                                --
                                                You must realize that the computer has it in for you.
                                                The irrefutable proof of this is that the computer

                                              • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 27, 2007
                                                  --- "Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI"
                                                  <renaud@...> wrote:

                                                  > Does the use of an external antenna (Gilsson)
                                                  > influence noticeably the time it
                                                  > takes for the batteries to run down ?

                                                  Nope.
                                                  You don't see a big change.

                                                  Paulus

                                                • Allory Deiss
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 27, 2007
                                                    In my experience it cut battery life by about 13-15%.

                                                    http://www.gpsinformation.org/allory/ga25mcx/ga25mcx.html

                                                    At 9:40 PM -0400 8/27/07, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
                                                    >Does the use of an external antenna (Gilsson) influence noticeably the time it
                                                    >takes for the batteries to run down ?
                                                    >
                                                    >Cheers,
                                                    >
                                                    >Ron.
                                                    >--
                                                    > You must realize that the computer has it in for you.
                                                    > The irrefutable proof of this is that the computer
                                                    > always does what you tell it to do.
                                                    >
                                                    > -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --
                                                    >

                                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  • annoyedone
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 28, 2007
                                                      <renaud@...> wrote:

                                                      > Does the use of an external antenna (Gilsson) influence noticeably
                                                      > the time it takes for the batteries to run down ?

                                                      Take a look at this

                                                      GPSmap 76CS & 76CSx power consumption
                                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/database?method=reportRows&tbl=13

                                                      You'll need to do some math but the "external antenna" figures are for
                                                      a Gilsson. The effect on battery life (% wise) will depend on your
                                                      model and features being used.
                                                    • Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 28, 2007
                                                        On Tuesday 28 August 2007, my mailbox was graced by a missive
                                                        from "annoyedone" <annoyedone@...> who wrote:

                                                        > GPSmap 76CS & 76CSx power consumption
                                                        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/database?method=reportRows&
                                                        >tbl=13
                                                        >
                                                        > You'll need to do some math but the "external antenna" figures are for
                                                        > a Gilsson. The effect on battery life (% wise) will depend on your
                                                        > model and features being used.

                                                        Ta,

                                                        Ron.
                                                        --
                                                        O mihi praeteritos referat si Iuppiter annos.
                                                        -- Publius Vergilius Maro

                                                      • Filohipo
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 12, 2007
                                                          Hello

                                                          Looking for PoiLoader, I found this:

                                                          http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607

                                                          What does this plugin ?

                                                          Tks

                                                          Filohipo

                                                        • John Rivard
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Sep 12, 2007
                                                            I believe they make use of this on geocaching.com to enable you to
                                                            download Geocache waypoints directly to your GPS. I'm waiting for the
                                                            promised Mac support, so I haven't actually used it yet.

                                                            --
                                                            John C. Rivard
                                                            jcr@...

                                                            On 12 Sep 2007, at 5:05 pm, Filohipo wrote:

                                                            > Hello
                                                            >
                                                            > Looking for PoiLoader, I found this:
                                                            >
                                                            > http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607
                                                            >
                                                            > What does this plugin ?
                                                            >
                                                            > Tks
                                                            >
                                                            > Filohipo

                                                          • Ian Wallace
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Sep 12, 2007
                                                              The Geocaching web site has the facility for direct downloading to a GPS. I
                                                              have used it and it is very quick and easy. Hook up your GPS and click on
                                                              the caches that you want to enter, and it's done.
                                                              http://www.geocaching.com/
                                                              Ian

                                                              I believe they make use of this on geocaching.com to enable you to
                                                              download Geocache waypoints directly to your GPS. I'm waiting for the
                                                              promised Mac support, so I haven't actually used it yet.

                                                              --
                                                              John C. Rivard
                                                              jcr@...
                                                              +1 248 425 5448

                                                              On 12 Sep 2007, at 5:05 pm, Filohipo wrote:

                                                              > Hello
                                                              >
                                                              > Looking for PoiLoader, I found this:
                                                              >
                                                              > http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607
                                                              >
                                                              > What does this plugin ?
                                                              >
                                                              > Tks
                                                              >
                                                              > Filohipo

                                                            • Mike Edwards
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Sep 13, 2007
                                                                Maybe that's a newer version of what used to be called "gStart" ??

                                                                Mike