Sandisk 2GB microSD card works in 76CSx!

  • annoyedone
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      I dropped by a Verizon Wireless store today and to my surprise they
      had two Sandisk 2GB microSD cards in stock.

      I've just finished transferring 1895.8MB (as shown in MapSource) of
      maps in 1326 segments. This includes *all* of City Select NA v7 plus a
      few other map products (Garmin & non Garmin).

      I read the maps out of the unit via MapSource and everything is there.
      I also checked the map page on the GPS and zoomed out to the maximumn
      scale to also confirm their presence.

      I short the 2GB card seems to work just fine in the unit.
    • Mike Edwards
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
        Sweet! Very neat that you can get the whole US in there!

        I was toying with the idea of getting the 76CSx as my "next GPS" but then
        they announced the Zumo.. i'm all starry-eyed over that peach!

        Mike

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"
          <annoyedone@...> wrote:

          > I short the 2GB card seems to work just fine in the unit.

          BTW the total card capacity is 2,030,960,640 bytes, 1936.875MB or 1.89GB.

          In my case I'm using 1,962,704,896 bytes (1871.78MB or 1.83GB) for
          maps and other (small) data. That left 68,255,744 bytes or 65.1MB for
          track and/or other stuff.
        • Robert Lipe
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
            On 8/1/06, annoyedone <annoyedone@...> wrote:

            > I dropped by a Verizon Wireless store today and to my surprise they
            > had two Sandisk 2GB microSD cards in stock.

            I hope the one you bought isn't Verizon's "value added" edition of the
            Sandisk products.

            The 2GB cards come with a whopping 128KB that's actually usable for
            the purchase prices. Additional 128K segments up to 1GB can be rented
            for $4.95 a month for USB 1 speeds; enhanced USB "high speed" mode is
            only $2/month more. The second GB of storage is expected to made
            available in 2008.

            (Yeah, it's a joke. I'm really annoyed with them that that they
            crippled the Treo and the E815 so horribly. Units with built-in
            bluetooth that they hobble unless you pay additional fees. Stinky.)
          • annoyedone
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lipe"
              <robertlipe@...> wrote:

              > I hope the one you bought isn't Verizon's "value added" edition of
              > the Sandisk products.

              Actually I think it is ;-) It came in Verizon packaging and the V in
              the part number (SDSDQ-2048-V10M) is probably for "Verizon".

              BTW I don't use Verizon service for cell or landline.
            • geocaching@bendcable.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                On 8/2/06 at 7:43 AM, annoyedone@... wrote:

                > I've just finished transferring 1895.8MB (as shown in MapSource) of maps in
                > 1326 segments. This includes *all* of City Select NA v7 plus a few other
                > map products (Garmin & non Garmin).

                You must travel a lot. How long did the transfer take on what kind of system?
                -NE
              • geocaching@bendcable.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                  On 8/3/06 at 7:54 AM, annoyedone@... wrote:

                  > > how long did it take you to select all of the usa map segments?
                  >
                  > Only about 10 minutes because I'd already created a 2GB mapset and saved it
                  > to a DVD months ago so all I had to do was copy the gmapsupp.img file to
                  > the card (via a card reader) using Windows Explorer.
                  >
                  > Creating the IMG file in the first place took a lot longer.

                  I'll bet--several hours? How did you save a map set to a device other than a
                  GPS receiver? I see no options for that in MapSource. -NE
                • annoyedone
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                    --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, geocaching@... wrote:

                    > I'll bet--several hours?

                    I don't recall but less than two hours from memory.

                    > How did you save a map set to a device other than a
                    > GPS receiver?

                    How do I use Sendmap to load mapsets created in MapSource?

                    > I see no options for that in MapSource.

                    Then you're either using an old version of MapSource or don't have any
                    kind of removable drive (the x-models will work as one).
                  • Len G. Carpenter
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                      From the way I read it he did it to the GPS first then when it was done he took
                      the file off the card and burned it to dvd, you could set up all kinds of map
                      files this way and just burn them to cd or dvd and copy the one you need to the
                      card as needed, then you don't have to mess with hours of waiting.

                      --

                      Bumper sticker of the year: If you can read this, thank a
                      teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Len G. Carpenter"
                        <Len.C@...> wrote:

                        > From the way I read it he did it to the GPS first then when it was
                        > done he took the file off the card and burned it to dvd...

                        Not exactly. I wrote the gmapsupp.img file *directly* to a removable
                        (flash) drive from MapSource then burned that to DVD (along with some
                        other mapsets). The GPS was never connected at all. When I got the 2GB
                        card I copied the file from the DVD directly to the card via a card
                        reader using Windows Explorer--that is the GPS wasn't connected. I
                        then put the card in my 76CSx.

                        The procedures, time taken etc has all been posted before. That's what
                        the message archive is for.
                      • Richard Hintz
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
                          <annoyedone@...> wrote:

                          > I dropped by a Verizon Wireless store today and to my surprise they
                          > had two Sandisk 2GB microSD cards in stock.

                          This is now showing up on Amazon through an Amazon seller for $94, not
                          including $7.99 for shipping.