How much map data does the 128 mb card hold?

  • Bob at Yahoo
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
      I just got my new Garmin 76Csx yesterday, and am
      debating on ordering a larger micro sd card. I ordered
      the City Navagator, v8, and it is scheduled to be
      delivered next week, so I can't experiment with map
      size yet.
      Does anyone have an idea how much map data the 128mb
      card that came with the unit hold... I soon plan on
      driving from NC to Washinton DC then to Gettysburg PA
      and back... can I fit all that map data on a 128 card,
      and buy the bigger card in a month or three?

      I will definitely get a larger card in the future, but
      the wife is already on my about the cost of the
      76Csx... don't want to push the $$ issue if ya know
      what I mean.
      Thanks in advance,

      Bob

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ludo Sak
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
        Grin,

        Sorry that I cannot help you with an appropriate answer, but you made me laugh about the wife thing and the dollars. It's the same here in Europe:)
        (ok, with Euro's, but that won't spoil the fun)

        Good luck with your magnificent device.

        Ludo

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
          I'm using the 128m card and have most of CA,AZ NM,UT & CO loaded with Topo and also have all of Baja Calif both topo and street loaded from another co. Think you have enough room for your trip

          Lou

          No Bad Days

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
            many thanks for the info!

            Bob

            --- Lou gmail <bajalou@...> wrote:

            > I'm using the 128m card and have most of CA,AZ NM,UT
            > & CO loaded with Topo and also have all of Baja
            > Calif both topo and street loaded from another co.
            > Think you have enough room for your trip
            >
            > Lou
            >
            > No Bad Days

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Barry L. Lankford
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
              Bob,

              I'm pretty certain you can get what you need into the 128 MB card. I don't
              have a 76CSx, but I do have a 76CS with only 115 MB, and it'll take quite a
              lot of maps. I have both City Select NA 7.0 and USA Topo loaded for most
              of north Alabama, some north Georgia, east and central Tennessee, some west
              North Carolina and a lot of southwest and central Virginia. Even though
              City Navigator 8.0 is made up of larger map sections than City Select 7.0,
              I still feel confident what you want will fit with room to spare.

              Save your money for now because the cost of memory cards will only come
              down, and rather quickly at that. When you do decide to go for the big
              card, pick the size that offers the greatest number of MB per dollar at
              that point in time. That'll probably be the next-to-largest available
              size. That's also good advice for when you're thinking of upgrading the
              hard drive in your desktop computer unless you have money to burn.

              Barry

              Bob at Yahoo wrote:
              > I just got my new Garmin 76Csx yesterday, and am
              > debating on ordering a larger micro sd card. I ordered
              > the City Navagator, v8, and it is scheduled to be
              > delivered next week, so I can't experiment with map
              > size yet.
              > Does anyone have an idea how much map data the 128mb
              > card that came with the unit hold... I soon plan on
              > driving from NC to Washinton DC then to Gettysburg PA
              > and back... can I fit all that map data on a 128 card,
              > and buy the bigger card in a month or three?
              >
              > I will definitely get a larger card in the future, but
              > the wife is already on my about the cost of the
              > 76Csx... don't want to push the $$ issue if ya know
              > what I mean.
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Bob
            • belmoresr
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                If you can provide a more specific route I'll add the maps in
                MAPSOURCE and see how big your path looks.
                I did a very broad select and it came to 148mgb. But that covered
                almost the entire state of NC.

                --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, Bob at Yahoo <golftoday@...>
                wrote:

                > I just got my new Garmin 76Csx yesterday, and am
                > debating on ordering a larger micro sd card. I ordered
                > the City Navagator, v8, and it is scheduled to be
                > delivered next week, so I can't experiment with map
                > size yet.
                > Does anyone have an idea how much map data the 128mb
                > card that came with the unit hold... I soon plan on
                > driving from NC to Washinton DC then to Gettysburg PA
                > and back... can I fit all that map data on a 128 card,
                > and buy the bigger card in a month or three?

              • Brad [VE3BSM]
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                  [Oddly, when I first posted this it got "eaten" somewhere in transit]

                  So I have a compatibility question that I'm a bit confused about. Perhaps
                  somebody can clarify.

                  I have a GPS76CS (alas, not the x) and an eMap (with 128Meg card). The
                  former has auto-routing in the unit, and the latter has routes generated by
                  MapSource and uploaded. Right now I'm using MetroGuide Canada, and it works
                  with both units.

                  Will CN 8 *also* work with both units, the same way the current software
                  does today? The "Product Compatibility" dropdown lists the 76CS but not the
                  eMap. Mind you, the eMap has been discontinued for a while.

                  Brad.

                • Bob at Yahoo
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Thanks, you comments seem to make good $cents$... :-)
                    I propbably will wait, and keep momma happy at the
                    same time... My goal is to get her happy enough with
                    the GPS so I can get one for her car too!

                    Thanks,

                    Bob

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Bob at Yahoo
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Actaully my trip will go from Charlotte NC to
                      Massanutten Va to Manassas VA to Wash DC to Gettyburg
                      PA then back home to Charlotte. Kind of an american
                      history tour for the kids...I think they will
                      appreciate history more now that they are teenagers,
                      and I want them to see things like the Vietnam and
                      WWII memorials as well as civil war memorials to
                      realize how many people died so thay we could enjoy
                      what we have... It will be a fun while sombering trip.
                      Something I think every american should do for their
                      family.. Ok I am off my soapbox, I thank you in
                      advance for your help!!

                      Thanks, Bob

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                        Hi Bob,

                        Been drivin' with the GPSMap 60C for years now (ok, 2), to full satisfaction. WIth your 76CSx, you should be able to manage perfectly.
                        Buy a RAM mount and you'll be fine.

                        Ludo
                        Thanks, you comments seem to make good $cents$... :-)
                        I propbably will wait, and keep momma happy at the
                        same time... My goal is to get her happy enough with
                        the GPS so I can get one for her car too!

                        Thanks,

                        Bob

                        --- "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...> wrote:

                        > Bob,
                        >
                        > I'm pretty certain you can get what you need into
                        > the 128 MB card. I don't
                        > have a 76CSx, but I do have a 76CS with only 115 MB,
                        > and it'll take quite a
                        > lot of maps. I have both City Select NA 7.0 and USA
                        > Topo loaded for most
                        > of north Alabama, some north Georgia, east and
                        > central Tennessee, some west
                        > North Carolina and a lot of southwest and central
                        > Virginia. Even though
                        > City Navigator 8.0 is made up of larger map sections
                        > than City Select 7.0,
                        > I still feel confident what you want will fit with
                        > room to spare.
                        >
                        > Save your money for now because the cost of memory
                        > cards will only come
                        > down, and rather quickly at that. When you do
                        > decide to go for the big
                        > card, pick the size that offers the greatest number
                        > of MB per dollar at
                        > that point in time. That'll probably be the
                        > next-to-largest available
                        > size. That's also good advice for when you're
                        > thinking of upgrading the
                        > hard drive in your desktop computer unless you have
                        > money to burn.
                        >
                        > Barry
                        >
                        > Bob at Yahoo wrote:
                        > > I just got my new Garmin 76Csx yesterday, and am
                        > > debating on ordering a larger micro sd card. I
                        > ordered
                        > > the City Navagator, v8, and it is scheduled to be
                        > > delivered next week, so I can't experiment with
                        > map
                        > > size yet.
                        > > Does anyone have an idea how much map data the
                        > 128mb
                        > > card that came with the unit hold... I soon plan
                        > on
                        > > driving from NC to Washinton DC then to Gettysburg
                        > PA
                        > > and back... can I fit all that map data on a 128
                        > card,
                        > > and buy the bigger card in a month or three?
                        > >
                        > > I will definitely get a larger card in the future,
                        > but
                        > > the wife is already on my about the cost of the
                        > > 76Csx... don't want to push the $$ issue if ya
                        > know
                        > > what I mean.
                        > > Thanks in advance,
                        > >
                        > > Bob

                      • Ken Fletcher
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                          I have City Nav v7DVD and I calculated the trip from Charolette, NC and back. It was 921 miles and required 8 maps to be loaded for the route. That was 153.5 Meg of data. More than my 76CS can hold with a limit of 115Meg.

                          Ken

                          wrote:

                          > I just got my new Garmin 76Csx yesterday, and am
                          > debating on ordering a larger micro sd card. I ordered
                          > the City Navagator, v8, and it is scheduled to be
                          > delivered next week, so I can't experiment with map
                          > size yet.
                          > Does anyone have an idea how much map data the 128mb
                          > card that came with the unit hold... I soon plan on
                          > driving from NC to Washinton DC then to Gettysburg PA
                          > and back... can I fit all that map data on a 128 card,
                          > and buy the bigger card in a month or three?

                        • Golftoday
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                            Thanks, I went today an picked up a 512mb MicroSd card for 20 bucks,
                            and looks like I can put the north eastern half of the US on it, now
                            just have to wait until the brown van shows up and drops of the city
                            navaigator auto kit that also has in it, (hopefully) version 8
                            inside.

                            Thanks again,

                            bob

                            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Fletcher"

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 2, 2006
                              Ken Fletcher wrote:
                              > I have City Nav v7DVD and I calculated the trip from Charolette, NC and back. It was 921 miles and required 8 maps to be loaded for the route. That was 153.5 Meg of data. More than my 76CS can hold with a limit of 115Meg.
                              >
                              > Ken

                              Ken,
                              Since Bob found the $19.99 512 MB card on sale, the question is moot. But
                              Bob has version 8 of CN coming, not version 7 that you were using. I
                              understand v8 has somewhat smaller chunks of map data, which makes the
                              memory usage significantly more efficient. I believe I've read that, while
                              CN v8 has smaller chunks than CN v7, they still aren't as small as City
                              Select v7's are, so no one can know for sure until someone gets CN v8 and
                              tries it. Since I can load a huge part of east-central and south-east USA
                              in BOTH USA Topo AND City Select v7, I still feel pretty certain Bob would
                              be able to get what he needs in the 128 MB card, if he had to.

                              By the way, I ran the same route on City Select v7 and it selected 20 maps
                              requiring 41.5 MB of memory. I changed some routing preferences and one
                              selection came up with 16 maps requiring only 36 MB. Total milage varied
                              from 903 miles to 960 miles. On the latter routings, I had it select more
                              superhighways, and the total milage was actually higher than the previous
                              routings, but the time enroute was probably shorter. All the routings I
                              tried were set to avoid toll roads. I'd recommend that you let MapSource
                              select the maps around your route, but then you should add as many more
                              maps around those required as you can fit into memory.

                              Hey Bob, I said the price of memory cards would come down, didn't I! I
                              have to admit I didn't think it'd happen that quickly and by that much.
                              One thing you have to watch out for is that many memory card sales are
                              limited to cards in stock in the store, which are often not large
                              quantities, so you can get there and miss out on the deal. They are often
                              just getting rid of old inventory at less than cost. When the latest
                              One-Terabyte cards come out, nobody will want the old 256-Gigabytes cards
                              they'd have killed for last month, so the stores practically give them away.

                              I've traveled around a good bit of your proposed trip, both as a child and
                              as an adult. I enjoyed it. Hope you do too!

                              Barry

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 3, 2006
                                Just wanted to say thanks for checking the route... I
                                managed to get the512 mb card for 20 bucks, and UPS
                                brought my CN ver 7):-( today . I think I can get the
                                v8 upgrade easily in the near future... now all I have
                                to do is decide which computer to load the s/w on///
                                my desktop that I use 98% of the time or my laptop
                                that I take when I travel... Might want to change maps
                                while traveling ya know... Does anyone have any
                                suggestions if city nav can have one copy loaded on
                                two different computers???

                              • annoyedone
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 3, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > Does anyone have any suggestions if city nav can have one copy
                                  > loaded on two different computers???

                                  Its just fine legally and practically.

                                  I unlocked my map product but MapSource still says they need to be
                                  unlocked!
                                • Bob at Yahoo
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 3, 2006
                                    thanks, I will check out the link. Much appreciated!

                                    Bob

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com