Re: Tidal Points

  • annoyedone
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, Terry Graham <trgraham@...>
      wrote:

      > This looked useful so I thought I would load it into the 76C.

      No point since your 76C already has the exact same data preloaded.

      > Can anyone suggest a method to clear out whatever is fouling me up.

      Can I have maps from different map products loaded and what happens if
      they overlap?
    • trgraham2
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6, 2006
        To anyone who can give help:
        Perhaps I did not explain my problem well enough. Since loading the
        Tide Points file, I am unable to load any map segments from City
        Select V7, City Select V6, Topo Canada, etc. When they overlap a
        coastal area. When I select a segment using Mapsource and then "Send
        to Device"
        It goes through the normal - "fixing files etc". followed by "erasing
        existing maps", and then it hangs up.
        It must be in conflict with the Tide Points previously loaded. They no
        long show on the list of maps loaded, in fact the display is blank.
        Anyone know how I can clear the map area of the old data??
        Thanks, Please help, I have tried all I can think of..

        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "annoyedone"

      • a14@att.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
          Have you tried reloading the Marine POI Database?
          Download here:
          <http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00352-00>
          Hopefully it should erase all map data and allow normal function
          afterward when trying to load mapsets.

          From: "trgraham2" <trgraham@...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
            Thanks for the help. I reloaded the Marine POI database as you
            suggested. Success! Well partial success. I can now load map
            segments using the serial port. Files generated, old maps erased, new
            maps installed. This applies everywhere, inland or coastal region.
            Here is the weird complication. Using the USB port, I can load new
            maps over the land areas of the map. But when I try to load them over
            the coastal region (where tide points exist), the load hangs up trying
            to erase the old maps. I will try updating USB drivers etc. but would
            welcome any suggestions. Thanks again for the first solution, at least
            I have a working system again.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2006
              If updating the USB drivers does not solve the problem you may want to
              try loading an older version of the firmware than you currently have.
              You will lose waypoints, tracks, and routes so back them up first.
              Make sure you don't reload any corrupted waypoints though. Afterwards
              update the firmware to the current version. Hope this helps.

              From: "trgraham2" <trgraham@...>

              > Thanks for the help. I reloaded the Marine POI database as you
              > suggested. Success! Well partial success. I can now load map
              > segments using the serial port. Files generated, old maps erased, new
              > maps installed. This applies everywhere, inland or coastal region.
              > Here is the weird complication. Using the USB port, I can load new
              > maps over the land areas of the map. But when I try to load them over
              > the coastal region (where tide points exist), the load hangs up trying
              > to erase the old maps. I will try updating USB drivers etc. but would
              > welcome any suggestions. Thanks again for the first solution, at least
              > I have a working system again.
              >
              > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, a14@... wrote:
              > >
              > > Have you tried reloading the Marine POI Database?
              > > Download here:
              > > <http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00352-00>
              > > Hopefully it should erase all map data and allow normal function
              > > afterward when trying to load mapsets.

              > > From: "trgraham2" <trgraham@...>
              > > > To anyone who can give help:
              > > > Perhaps I did not explain my problem well enough. Since loading the
              > > > Tide Points file, I am unable to load any map segments from City
              > > > Select V7, City Select V6, Topo Canada, etc. When they overlap a
              > > > coastal area. When I select a segment using Mapsource and then "Send
              > > > to Device"
              > > > It goes through the normal - "fixing files etc". followed by "erasing
              > > > existing maps", and then it hangs up.
              > > > It must be in conflict with the Tide Points previously loaded. They no
              > > > long show on the list of maps loaded, in fact the display is blank.
              > > > Anyone know how I can clear the map area of the old data??
              > > > Thanks, Please help, I have tried all I can think of..

            • GMAIL
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 8, 2006
                To erase the maps in the card, you can install the last free version of Sendmap (http://cgpsmapper.com/en/buy.htm)

                It has an option to erase all the maps in the GPS.

                If this doesn't work, try reinstalling the firmware.

                In the "x" series, you can upload the 2.71 beta version of the firmware, access the card as an USB device and delete all the files in the card.

                Hope this works

                Best

                Javier

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
                  I am approaching the end of my options.
                  I've loaded the regular version of MarinePOI, no help.
                  reloaded the USB drivers - no dice
                  I've reloaded City Select NA V6 and V7 - likewise no good
                  I loaded the receiver with old firmware (3.90) - no good
                  Reloaded firmware (4.10) still nothing.
                  The only thing that partially works is loading a map segment
                  using the serial port. Even then scads of tide points overlay the map
                  The USB version always hangs when it tries to erase the existing map
                  segments.
                  Going to try something drastic, I'll try to load the 162/168 Tide
                  Points from Mapsource once more and just after I figure it has erased
                  the existing version I'll pull the cable so it can't reload.
                  Otherwise if I don't hear from you guys with other options to try, I
                  guess I go hat in hand to Garmin and hope their only response won't be
                  "send it back for our standard rework (with charges). Sending it back
                  from Canada is a pain even if it is the only solution.
                  Any other suggestions gratefully received.

                  --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, a14@... wrote:

                  > If updating the USB drivers does not solve the problem you may want to
                  > try loading an older version of the firmware than you currently have.
                  > You will lose waypoints, tracks, and routes so back them up first.
                  > Make sure you don't reload any corrupted waypoints though. Afterwards
                  > update the firmware to the current version. Hope this helps.
                  --->

                  > From: "trgraham2" <trgraham@...>
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the help. I reloaded the Marine POI database as you
                  > > suggested. Success! Well partial success. I can now load map
                  > > segments using the serial port. Files generated, old maps erased, new
                  > > maps installed. This applies everywhere, inland or coastal region.
                  > > Here is the weird complication. Using the USB port, I can load new
                  > > maps over the land areas of the map. But when I try to load them over
                  > > the coastal region (where tide points exist), the load hangs up trying
                  > > to erase the old maps. I will try updating USB drivers etc. but would
                  > > welcome any suggestions. Thanks again for the first solution, at least
                  > > I have a working system again.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, a14@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Have you tried reloading the Marine POI Database?
                  > > > Download here:
                  > > > <http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00352-00>
                  > > > Hopefully it should erase all map data and allow normal function
                  > > > afterward when trying to load mapsets.

                • Javier Postiglione
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
                    Did you try to delete all the maps with Sendmap as I recommended?

                    On 6/9/06, trgraham2 <trgraham@...> wrote:

                    > I am approaching the end of my options.
                    > I've loaded the regular version of MarinePOI, no help.
                    > reloaded the USB drivers - no dice
                    > I've reloaded City Select NA V6 and V7 - likewise no good
                    > I loaded the receiver with old firmware (3.90) - no good
                    > Reloaded firmware (4.10) still nothing.
                    > The only thing that partially works is loading a map segment
                    > using the serial port. Even then scads of tide points overlay the map
                    > The USB version always hangs when it tries to erase the existing map
                    > segments.
                    > Going to try something drastic, I'll try to load the 162/168 Tide
                    > Points from Mapsource once more and just after I figure it has erased
                    > the existing version I'll pull the cable so it can't reload.
                    > Otherwise if I don't hear from you guys with other options to try, I
                    > guess I go hat in hand to Garmin and hope their only response won't be
                    > "send it back for our standard rework (with charges). Sending it back
                    > from Canada is a pain even if it is the only solution.
                    > Any other suggestions gratefully received.
                    >

                    > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com<Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > a14@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > If updating the USB drivers does not solve the problem you may want to
                    > > try loading an older version of the firmware than you currently have.
                    > > You will lose waypoints, tracks, and routes so back them up first.
                    > > Make sure you don't reload any corrupted waypoints though. Afterwards
                    > > update the firmware to the current version. Hope this helps.
                    > --->

                    > > From: "trgraham2" <trgraham@...>
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for the help. I reloaded the Marine POI database as you
                    > > > suggested. Success! Well partial success. I can now load map
                    > > > segments using the serial port. Files generated, old maps erased, new
                    > > > maps installed. This applies everywhere, inland or coastal region.
                    > > > Here is the weird complication. Using the USB port, I can load new
                    > > > maps over the land areas of the map. But when I try to load them over
                    > > > the coastal region (where tide points exist), the load hangs up trying
                    > > > to erase the old maps. I will try updating USB drivers etc. but would
                    > > > welcome any suggestions. Thanks again for the first solution, at least
                    > > > I have a working system again.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com<Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  • Terry Graham
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                      Yes indeed , I tried it with mapsend and with img2gps. Nothing helped,
                      I've tried everthing that was suggested, nothing seems to work.

                      Javier Postiglione wrote:
                      ---

                      > Did you try to delete all the maps with Sendmap as I recommended?
                      >
                      > On 6/9/06, trgraham2 <trgraham@...
                      > <mailto:trgraham%40telus.net>> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am approaching the end of my options.
                      > > I've loaded the regular version of MarinePOI, no help.
                      > > reloaded the USB drivers - no dice
                      > > I've reloaded City Select NA V6 and V7 - likewise no good
                      > > I loaded the receiver with old firmware (3.90) - no good
                      > > Reloaded firmware (4.10) still nothing.
                      > > The only thing that partially works is loading a map segment
                      > > using the serial port. Even then scads of tide points overlay the map
                      > > The USB version always hangs when it tries to erase the existing map
                      > > segments.
                      > > Going to try something drastic, I'll try to load the 162/168 Tide
                      > > Points from Mapsource once more and just after I figure it has erased
                      > > the existing version I'll pull the cable so it can't reload.
                      > > Otherwise if I don't hear from you guys with other options to try, I
                      > > guess I go hat in hand to Garmin and hope their only response won't be
                      > > "send it back for our standard rework (with charges). Sending it back
                      > > from Canada is a pain even if it is the only solution.
                      > > Any other suggestions gratefully received.
                      > >

                      > > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com><Garmin_GPSmap_76C%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > a14@... wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > If updating the USB drivers does not solve the problem you may want to
                      > > > try loading an older version of the firmware than you currently have.
                      > > > You will lose waypoints, tracks, and routes so back them up first.
                      > > > Make sure you don't reload any corrupted waypoints though. Afterwards
                      > > > update the firmware to the current version. Hope this helps.
                      > > --->

                    • AK
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                        Did you try a HARD Reset? This should erase everything except the base
                        map and the firm ware. Don't recall offhand how to do that but it has
                        been mentioned previously in the discussions.

                        Offroadlanna

                        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "trgraham2"

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                            Thanks All:
                            Did try hard reset earlier and repeated today. This does not remove
                            the Tide Points.
                            I even tried reloading the 162/168 Tide Points, one section at a time,
                            hoping this would erase
                            the non-selected section. No dice.
                            I guess I am done for. Does anyone know how to email the Garmin
                            support group?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > This does not remove the Tide Points.

                              Because, as I told you before, they're part of the basemap and are
                              non-erasable.

                              > I even tried reloading the 162/168 Tide Points, one section at a
                              > time, hoping this would erase the non-selected section.

                              Which is pointless since again the tide-sations are part of the
                              basemap. You keep loading THE SAME data that is built-in to the unit.

                              > Does anyone know how to email the Garmin support group?

                              http://www.garmin.com/support/

                              What should I do to return my unit to Garmin for repair
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/files/FAQ%27s/FAQ0042.txt
                            • annoyedone
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                                wrote:

                                > hoping this would erase the non-selected section.

                                BTW you can see exactly what maps (or not) are loaded in your unit.
                                Please read (my reponse to your original post) FAQ #24 again and then
                                check this screen in your GPS.

                                If you don't see any map products listed then you don't have any loaded.
                                The basemap is ALWAYS present but can be hidden if desired.
                              • Terry Graham
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 14, 2006
                                  I want to thank everyone for their help, and their patience.
                                  I finally borrowed another 76C from a buddy and went through the
                                  same gyrations trhat have had me stumped. Of course his unit wouldn't
                                  operate correctly either. With some more digging I discovered a problem
                                  with the USB cable. All is well.
                                  Thanks again.