RE: [Garmin_GPSmap_76C] Somewhat Off-Topic: Garmin Forerunner 301 Question (Versus GPS 76S)

  • Ken Fletcher
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      You might try putting in fresh batteries, and taking it outside in the open,
      away from trees, tall buildings and other obstructions and lay it in one
      place for a couple of hours. If you have sufficient dense cloud cover or
      other obstruction to an open sky, it may take it quite a while to find out
      its location. I have had 4 GPS receivers. 2 Magellan, 1 Delorme, and 1
      Garmin. I drove for an hour to work on a heavy snow storm and the DeLorme
      GPS did not lock on to satellites during any of the trip. One of the
      Magellan GPS receivers went to the top of a 12,000ft peak in clear sky and
      did not lock up in 30 minutes. Other times, they lock up in moments. But,
      I have found that when they will not lock up, lay them down and do not move
      them in the slightest and they will usually lock up much faster.

      Ken Fletcher

      North Plains, Oregon

      Email: <mailto:fletchek@...> fletchek@...

      Amateur Callsign WB7QYB

      1982 IT465 2-stroke Yamaha Enduro

      2005 KDX220 2-stroke Kawasaki Trail Bike

      _____