renaming custom waypoint symbols

  • marcusgeoghegan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2005
      Hi, does anybody know how to rename waypoint symbols in a Garmin
      GPSmap 76CS?

      My unit contains 24 custom symbols. I can change the
      bitmap used for each of these using ximage - however the name does
      not change, they still appear as "custom 1" etc. When I download a
      waypoint to mapsource taken with any of these symbols and export
      them to a tab delimited DXF file it still uses the name "Custom 1".

      For example if I change the bitmap for custom symbol 1 to be an oak
      tree I would also like to change the text that describes it to
      be "oak tree". I am unsure if these names are held in the 76CS or if
      they are just assigned by mapsource based on 76CS symbol ID used
      when they are downloaded to mapsource.

      Also: can I completely overwrite a symbol set in the 76CS? I never
      use the set called "Civil" and would like to completely replace it
      with something of my own creation.

      Thank you for your help.

      Marcus Geoghegan
      Dublin, Ireland
    • annoyedone
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2005
        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "marcusgeoghegan"
        <marcusgeoghegan@o...> wrote:

        > I am unsure if these names are held in the 76CS or if they are just
        > assigned by mapsource based on 76CS symbol ID used when they are
        > downloaded to mapsource.

        Only the bitmap is kept in the 76CS. When you read waypoints only the
        Symbol ID is passed. No name is kept in the 76CS (i.e. the name is
        assigned by MapSource).

        > Also: can I completely overwrite a symbol set in the 76CS? I never
        > use the set called "Civil" and would like to completely replace it
        > with something of my own creation.

        No, they're fixed in the firmware. You only get 24 custom ones.

        BTW have you looked at the stuff in
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/files/Waypoint%20Symbols/Documentation/
        and
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/files/Waypoint%20Symbols/Custom/