Antenna Voltage

  • webcavalry000
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2004
      I have had the succession of GPS III/III+/V and SP/SPCM/SPIII/2610 as
      my portable and vehicle units. I also have permanent mount amplified
      antennas in the vehicles and a couple of mag-mount antennas for
      rental cars and special usage. All of these units and antennas have
      5V power on the antenna connector for the antenna-mounted amplifier.

      I am not real familiar with the 60/76 series. Will the GPSMap 76CS
      work with the antennas I have or will I need new ones that work off
      3V? And if they work off 3V, will they still work with my other GPSRs
      that provide 5V?

      Peter
    • annoyedone@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
        Peter,

        I suspect you'll need new antenna's for the 60/76 series as they're 3V
        units. If your current antenna's are 5v only they probably won't work.

        FYI I have two of the Gilsson antenna's. They're a bit over US$20 and
        work on 2.5-12v.
        http://store.yahoo.com/gilsson/antennas.html
      • tvnav.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
          > I have had the succession of GPS III/III+/V and SP/SPCM/SPIII/2610 as
          > my portable and vehicle units. I also have permanent mount amplified
          > antennas in the vehicles and a couple of mag-mount antennas for
          > rental cars and special usage. All of these units and antennas have
          > 5V power on the antenna connector for the antenna-mounted amplifier.
          >
          > I am not real familiar with the 60/76 series. Will the GPSMap 76CS
          > work with the antennas I have or will I need new ones that work off
          > 3V?

          You will need the 3v antenna.

          And if they work off 3V, will they still work with my other GPSRs
          > that provide 5V?

          Yes.

          Darrel Goheen
          GPS@...
          http://www.tvnav.com
          Voice 785-625-3546/FAX 413-383-8800
        • Alex Khain
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 18, 2004
            --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, webcavalry000 wrote:
            > I have had the succession of GPS III/III+/V and SP/SPCM/SPIII/2610

            Wow! I am still on my first original II+ v2.07. I use it mostly for
            collecting tracks during hikes/mountain climbs and navigation to
            scuba dive sites.

            I have constructed a simple external antena mast from a Easton Al
            tent pole that is attached to the side of my pack. The antena is
            slightly below the top of my head when hiking. I use the Gilsson
            antenna. Besides looking a bit silly and generating questions, it has
            no drawbacks. I have NEVER lost a 3D signal, even under heavy tree
            cover. I used to lose it often with the built in antenna.

            I use NiMH batteries exclusively. The antenna specs state 2.5V-12V
            voltage range.

            I use my GPSR several times a week. The 1000 trackpoints and the lack
            of altitude tracking are really the only serious reasons for me to
            upgrade, and the 76CS sounds like it. I have several concerns about
            the new unit, some of them serious enough that I would postpone the
            upgrade if they prove true.

            1. Antena voltage. With only 2 NiMH batteries in the unit the power
            supply voltage is just 2.4V. That is below specs for the external
            antenna. I wonder if the voltage regulator in the GPSR actually keeps
            the voltage higher. In any case, I wonder how much the signal
            strength will suffer compared to the 5V on the antenna in my current
            unit. On the other hand, the receiver module is supposed to be
            improved in the 76CS, which could compensate.

            2. The II+ has BNC antenna that is completely removed when the
            external ant is in use. With the 76CS, the internal antena stays in
            place. I wonder if the unit detects the MCX antenna plug inserted and
            disconnects the internal antenna. If not, I wonder how it works if
            the external antenna cable is, say, 10m from the GPSR. That would
            surely wreak havoc with the signals.

            3. I wonder how I will like the buttons above the screen. I use the
            II+ in horizontal mode and don't like the vertical even with the
            buttons below the screen. On the other hand, the hand above may help
            shade the screen from direct sunlight and actually be helpful.

            4. The 60CS degrades the saved tracks (removes the point timestamps
            and reduces the number of saved trackpoints to meet the 500 point
            limit). I hope the 76CS will keep this information in its vastly
            increased memory, otherwise the track saving feature would be of
            limited use for me. The Garmin site specs do not mention the 500
            point limit on the 76CS page, so I think there is hope.

            5. I hope Garmin will gradually increase coverage available with
            their Topo 24k map series to make the maps and the large memory
            actually useful for me.

            Anyway, sorry for the ramble. To answer your questions, check your
            antenna documentation or the documents below for voltage
            requirements. There are a few, such as Lowe, that do require 5V and
            would definitely not work. Some, such as MightyMouseI, might work,
            but it did not do too well on the test below. MightyMouseII did much
            better. I have seen no tests of Gilsson.

            Here is some info, but not too recent:

            http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpsantrev1.htm
            http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/anttest.htm
            http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/anttable.htm
            http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/mm2test.htm

            Regards,

            Alex Khain
            Portland, Oregon, USA
          • annoyedone@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 18, 2004
              --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Khain" <yahoo@c...>
              wrote:

              > 1. Antena voltage. With only 2 NiMH batteries in the unit the power
              > supply voltage is just 2.4V. That is below specs for the external
              > antenna.

              I use Gilsson external antenna's with my 76S and they work fine. I
              think they have the same 2.5-12V spec (see the Links section).

              > I wonder if the unit detects the MCX antenna plug inserted and
              > disconnects the internal antenna.

              Yes it does.

              > 3. I wonder how I will like the buttons above the screen.

              The above/below issue is just like the vinyl LP's vs CD's and
              the tubes vs transistors debate. Many argue endlessly over it ;-) I
              own a 76S and don't find the placement of the buttons to be an issue.

              > 4. The 60CS degrades the saved tracks (removes the point timestamps
              > and reduces the number of saved trackpoints to meet the 500 point
              > limit).

              So do other Garmin units. I doubt the 76C(S) will be any different. I
              solve the issue by simply *not* "saving" them in the unit. Instead I
              upload them to a PC.
            • Alex Khain
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 18, 2004
                --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, annoyedone wrote:
                > > 1. Antena voltage. With only 2 NiMH batteries in the unit the
                power
                > > supply voltage is just 2.4V. That is below specs for the external
                > > antenna.
                >
                > I use Gilsson external antenna's with my 76S and they work fine. I
                > think they have the same 2.5-12V spec (see the Links section).

                Glad to hear it! Do you use NiMH batteries in the 76S? I don't doubt
                it would work on 3V alkalines, just the 2.4V NiMH is pushing it a bit.

                > > 4. The 60CS degrades the saved tracks (removes the point
                timestamps
                > > and reduces the number of saved trackpoints to meet the 500 point
                > > limit).
                >
                > So do other Garmin units. I doubt the 76C(S) will be any different.
                > solve the issue by simply *not* "saving" them in the unit. Instead I
                > upload them to a PC.

                This is dandy for single day trips. But for week long backpacks
                saving the track daily would be quite handy. I would REALLY like the
                option of saving the tracks unmolested. Even at the expense of less
                map upload space.

                I guess I can still make some use of the saved tracks for
                uploading "planned" routes drawn in OziExplorer and uploaded to the
                unit. Do you know if you can convert a saved track into a traceback
                route without activating the track first?

                Regards,

                Alex Khain
                Portland, Oregon, USA
              • annoyedone@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 19, 2004
                  wrote:

                  > Do you use NiMH batteries in the 76S?

                  I *only* use NiMH batteries in my 76S.

                  > But for week long backpacks saving the track daily would be quite
                  > handy. I would REALLY like the option of saving the tracks
                  > unmolested.

                  You and a bunch of other people ;-) Its a common complaint. So far
                  Garmin hasn't listened.

                  > Do you know if you can convert a saved track into a traceback
                  > route without activating the track first?

                  Not offhand.
                • kahn98055
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 9, 2004
                    --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Khain" <yahoo@c...> wrote:
                    > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, webcavalry000 wrote:
                    > > I have had the succession of GPS III/III+/V and SP/SPCM/SPIII/2610
                    >
                    > Wow! I am still on my first original II+ v2.07. I use it mostly for
                    > collecting tracks during hikes/mountain climbs and navigation to
                    > scuba dive sites.
                    >
                    > I have constructed a simple external antena mast from a Easton Al
                    > tent pole that is attached to the side of my pack. The antena is
                    > slightly below the top of my head when hiking. I use the Gilsson
                    > antenna. Besides looking a bit silly and generating questions, it has
                    > no drawbacks. I have NEVER lost a 3D signal, even under heavy tree
                    > cover. I used to lose it often with the built in antenna.

                    Just curious about how long a pole you use to pick up signals better
                    than when the unit would be at your side or in your hand? Or are the
                    external antenna just more sensitive? I guess I'm asking is it the
                    location of the antenna "UP THERE" on the tent pole or the antenna (or
                    both, I guess).
                  • annoyedone@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 9, 2004
                      --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kahn98055" <kahn98055@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > Just curious about how long a pole you use to pick up signals better
                      > than when the unit would be at your side or in your hand?

                      "webcavalry000 wrote:
                      The anten[n]a is slightly below the top of my head when hiking."

                      External antenna's are more sensitive than the ones built into GPS'es.

                      I have a different solution to that webcavalry000 uses--the GPS hat.

                      Photos/AnnoyedOne's/External antenna stuff/GPS hat
                      <http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/garmin_gpsmap_76c/vwp?.dir=/AnnoyedOne%27s/External+antenna+stuff&.src=gr&.dnm=GPS+hat.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/garmin_gpsmap_76c/lst%3f%26.dir=/AnnoyedOne%2527s/External%2bantenna%2bstuff%26.src=gr%26.view=t?

                      Note the metal base--it improves reception (provides a "ground plane").
                    • Alex Khain
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 9, 2004
                        --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "kahn98055" wrote:
                        > --- In Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Khain" wrote:
                        > > I have constructed a simple external antena mast from
                        > > a Easton Al tent pole that is attached to the side of my pack.
                        > > The antena is slightly below the top of my head when hiking.
                        > > I use the Gilsson antenna.

                        > Just curious about how long a pole you use to pick up signals
                        > better than when the unit would be at your side or in your hand?
                        > Or are the external antenna just more sensitive? I guess I'm
                        > asking is it the location of the antenna "UP THERE" on the tent
                        > pole or the antenna (or both, I guess).

                        Definitely both. The human body shields the signal very effectively.
                        It is most noticeable on steep slopes hiking up. The antenna itself
                        is more sensitive too, though.

                        I have snapped a few pictures of my hiking setup.

                        http://www.scubase.net/priv/GPSAntenna1.jpg
                        The Gilsson antenna on a tent pole, the GPS is in my homemade padded
                        shoulder holster (nylon/Polartec pile padding).

                        http://www.scubase.net/priv/GPSAntenna2.jpg
                        Detail of the antenna on the tent pole (the pole segment is from the
                        REI repair shop - $2.50).

                        http://www.scubase.net/priv/GPSAntenna3.jpg
                        Top view of the same.

                        http://www.scubase.net/priv/GPSAntenna4.jpg
                        Detail of the antenna perch. It is cut out from a galvanized fencing
                        bracket (hardware store - $1.20). Epoxied to the pole. Note than the
                        edges are also epoxy coated for corrosion resistance.

                        http://www.scubase.net/priv/GPSAntenna5.jpg
                        Pack attachment detail. Two small holes drilled into the pole, a
                        nylon cord is threaded through with two knots keeping it in place.
                        Ends finished with a heat shrink tube and threaded through an oval
                        cord lock. On the pack itself I have sewn two small webbing eyelets
                        to hold the pole just upright.

                        Works great.

                        Alex Khain
                        Portland, Oregon, USA
                      • kahn98055
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 9, 2004
                          Thanks for all of the details and photos. And just that "little"
                          boost up in the air helps, I guess - gets most of the body mass out of
                          the way.

                          Yup, up here in Seattle, well, Cascades, we have the same tree issues
                          and slopes.