Unit shuts off on motorcycle...

  • Chris Weiss
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2004
      I tried using my 60cs for motorcycle navigation today and ran into a
      really annoying problem - As near as I can tell, the vibrations from
      the bike on the road are shaking the device and breaking the battery
      circuit, so the device shuts off. I've heard of this problem from
      others, but am wondering what solutions people have found.
      One suggestions was to jam a piece of a business card in between the
      batteries so they dont move around so much.
      Someone else suggested using electrical grease to improve the connections.
      Anyone else running into this? Have any other ideas on how to solve
      the problem? This is sort of a deal-breaker for me, I really love the
      60cs' routing, but if it doesn't stay on, it might as well be a black
      brick.
    • Radium Kupka
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2004

        I’ve had the same problem. The solution is very easy. Just make your GPS not shake. Put some antivibrating material between the mount and GPS

        Or some shock stabilizer – something soft, plastic – these materials are around everywhere so I’d say fixing  this problem with little work and fantasy shoub be free.,

        Radim

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2004
          That's easier said than done. The mount is a RAM mount with a U-Bolt
          on the handlebars in a very awqwuard position (just about the only one
          that'll clear all the other gear and not obscure the instrument panel)
          - The RAM mount has a 5" arm attaching the handlebar mount to the
          cradle that I'm sure is amplifying the vibrations. I might be able to
          wedge something between the U-Bolt and handlebars - what do you mean
          by "vibration damping material"? A slice of inner-tube?

          ________________________________

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Radium Kupka
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2004

            I myself  use a mount only in the car. For a motorcycle I didn’t want to spend a money for another one so I used an old mount for some mobile phone that suits

            - or you can use or make basically anything that will hold your gps. So this may take some experimenting but I think is easy,

            The question is how to attach this mount to a motorcycle.  The same as you have designed or found a holder for your GPS, you will need to attach it’s opposite part

            on your bike it will be later mounted to.  Between these parts you have to leave some space that will be filled by absorbent cotton, molitan, polyuretan, polyetylen,

            -          just some shock reducing material – must be soft, you can try it first on some object before installing. Your GPS wil of course always move a little but you may achieve results just like in the car.

            Radim

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2004
              Hello Chris,

              Sunday, June 6, 2004, 8:42:40 AM, you wrote:

              > That's easier said than done. The mount is a RAM mount with a U-Bolt
              > on the handlebars in a very awqwuard position (just about the only one
              > that'll clear all the other gear and not obscure the instrument panel)
              > - The RAM mount has a 5" arm attaching the handlebar mount to the
              > cradle that I'm sure is amplifying the vibrations. I might be able to
              > wedge something between the U-Bolt and handlebars - what do you mean
              > by "vibration damping material"? A slice of inner-tube?

              I too have placed a RAM U-Bolt on the motorcycle and another one on my
              mountain bike. I had no shutting off problems so far in both cases,
              but maybe that would have to do with the two precautions I've taken
              before placing the gps to the wheel bar:

              1. I got Touratech's holder, which is a fully antivibrating device
              (vibration reducing rubber buffers), but much more expensive that the
              RAM one.

              2. I supplied the motorcycle with a lighter adapter, so it functions
              with electricity and not from batteries.

              Of cource, I haven't placed a lighter on the bicycle, so I think it's
              the Touratech that accepts the vibrations from the road and doesn't
              allow them to touch the gps.

              Besides the above, check www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_batteries.html and
              http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/navigation.lasso?TopCat=navigation&SubCat=GPS_Mounts

              I hope I helped.

              --
              Apostolis
              arountis@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2004
                --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Chris Weiss
                <chris.weiss@g...> wrote:
                > The mount is a RAM mount with a U-Bolt
                > on the handlebars

                This is exactly what I have on an ATV... I am sure it shakes as much
                as your bike and I do not experiment any problem. The problem is not
                with the RAM mount... which is probably the best mount on the
                market. As a amatter of fact your problem is extremely common. Your
                solution is in the battery box : foam, tab adjustments etc... Don't
                forget that the problem is related to AA battery size which varries.
                They MUST be thigh on all their dimmensions. Foam at both ends AND
                on the cover seems efficient. The 60CS normally works flawlessly
                with Duracell when new. This sems to be Garmin's reference.

                NC
              • Jose E.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 7, 2004
                  Hello,

                  I've got the same problem. No fix yet fromm me.
                  Regards,
                  Jose E.
                  Society of N-Scalers
                  Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
                  www.societynscalers.com
                  (Stop by and visit!)

                  (This e-mail was sent via Tungsten C with built-in WiFi)

                  >I tried using my 60cs for motorcycle navigation today and ran into a
                  >really annoying problem - As near as I can tell, the vibrations from
                  >the bike on the road are shaking the device and breaking the battery
                  >circuit, so the device shuts off. I've heard of this problem from
                  >others, but am wondering what solutions people have found.
                  >One suggestions was to jam a piece of a business card in between the
                  >batteries so they dont move around so much.
                  >Someone else suggested using electrical grease to improve the connections.
                  >Anyone else running into this? Have any other ideas on how to solve
                  >the problem? This is sort of a deal-breaker for me, I really love the
                  >60cs' routing, but if it doesn't stay on, it might as well be a black
                  >brick.
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Chris Weiss
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 7, 2004
                    Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy with the RAM mount - I can't
                    think of any other solution I'd use.
                    I didn't bother actually measuring out the batteries - I'm using NiMH
                    rechargeables - both those an Energizers were exhibiting the problems.
                    I've got some Duracells around here as well, I'll give them a try. I'm
                    hoping it's just a loose battery issue and not some internal
                    connection problem.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                      "1. I got Touratech's holder, which is a fully antivibrating device
                      (vibration reducing rubber buffers), but much more expensive that the
                      RAM one."

                      Just to compare as far as prices are concerned : Touratech cradle is
                      110 USD$ (JUST the cradle!)and Ram cradle is 8 USD$... You can get 3
                      complete systems for ATVs for 110 USD$!!!

                      Practical experience : most ATV in our region have RAM mounts and we
                      NEVER had a vibration related problem where the RAM mount could be
                      considered as responsible. ALL problems are only related to
                      batteries contact on Garmin GPS.

                      By the way some have modified their RAM mounts and added an half
                      inch or so rubber buffer between the mount and the RAM craddle (more
                      than on a Touratech!). This has a good psychological effect on some
                      owners ;-)))
                    • Scott Dykstra
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                        Check out this page for tips. It's due to the batteries vibrating inside
                        the unit creating small sparks as they lose contact inside the unit.

                        http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_batteries.html

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                          Hello Normand,

                          > Just to compare as far as prices are concerned : Touratech cradle is
                          > 110 USD$ (JUST the cradle!)and Ram cradle is 8 USD$... You can get 3
                          > complete systems for ATVs for 110 USD$!!!

                          You're quite right but I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the
                          RAM mount doesn't allow cigarette lighter cable to connect to the
                          unit, so I wouldn't have the ability to connect the 60C to the car's
                          or motorcycle's lighter...

                          Anyway, I'm sure that RAM mounts also offer antivibrating safety but I
                          couldn't overlook the fact the Touratech has a irresistible design :-)

                          I'm sorry, it is not that easy for me to answer your question as to
                          whether design worths 110$ for a GPS cradle ... :-)))

                          ---
                          Apostolis
                          arountis@...
                        • Scott Dykstra
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                            The RAM mount works with the cigarette lighter cable just fine. A Touratech
                            is in my future - when I find an extra $100 :)

                            > > Just to compare as far as prices are concerned : Touratech cradle is
                            > > 110 USD$ (JUST the cradle!)and Ram cradle is 8 USD$... You can get 3
                            > > complete systems for ATVs for 110 USD$!!!
                            >
                            > You're quite right but I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the
                            > RAM mount doesn't allow cigarette lighter cable to connect to the
                            > unit, so I wouldn't have the ability to connect the 60C to the car's
                            > or motorcycle's lighter...
                            >
                            > Anyway, I'm sure that RAM mounts also offer antivibrating safety but I
                            > couldn't overlook the fact the Touratech has a irresistible design :-)
                            >
                            > I'm sorry, it is not that easy for me to answer your question as to
                            > whether design worths 110$ for a GPS cradle ... :-)))
                            >
                            > ---
                            > Apostolis
                            > arountis@...
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Normand Choinière
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Apostolis Rountis
                              <arountis@y...> wrote:
                              > Hello Normand,
                              > You're quite right but I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that
                              the
                              > RAM mount doesn't allow cigarette lighter cable to connect to the
                              > unit, so I wouldn't have the ability to connect the 60C to the
                              car's
                              > or motorcycle's lighter...
                              > Apostolis
                              > arountis@y...

                              No problem to connect it with the RAM mount. We all connect our GPS
                              directly and permanently to the battery with an in line fuse (500
                              mAH) as this is the easiest, simplest and final way to completely
                              avoid that shutt off problem. By the way, most of the time RAM
                              mounts include two one inch round rotating rubber balls that act as
                              an antivibrating device. For cheap connection you can always make
                              your own cable and get the necessary parts from Pfrancs at :
                              http://www.pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/g45_idx.htm

                              If I owned a dirt bike or any other recreational vehicule without
                              any kind of power available I would buy a 9.6 Volt 3000 mAh NiMH
                              Battery Pack (http://onlybatteries.com/items.asp?db=57), tie-wrap it
                              under the seat (or any other convenient place, and wire the fused
                              Pfranc cable to it. That would bring DC directly to my GPS (which is
                              happy with a 7 volts (treshold voltage)-32 volts supply). You then
                              would have enough voltage to operate the 60CS for weeks before
                              recharging the battery pack without any more shut off problem! That
                              battery pack comes with a charger at 39 USD$. That is nothing if you
                              compare with what you have paid for the GPS.

                              Normand