RE: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] What I think the 60CS Needs - vol. 4

  • ags8390
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004

      Hi Tom,

      I agree with the 500 point limit, especially when our Vistas can save 750!
      What gives, Garmin??

      Regards

      Andrew
    • pvs802
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Matty" <tom173@c...>
        wrote:
        > What is this truncating 500 points thing?

        > I often travel in mountainous
        > terrain with loads of switchbacks so I want the accuracy of my
        > active track. This is what I save.

        > But when I want to upload it again to my
        > GPS as a saved track I get the first 500 points and nothing else.
        > It's chopped.

        Of course it is, because there's only 500 points in the saved track slots.

        > There's lots of memory in there, why just 500 points?

        Design decision.

        > Now I have to save everything to the active track, then save it in
        > the GPS so it's not just chopped but straight line points are
        > elminated.

        That's sorta the whole point. If you want to use saved tracks, save
        them in the GPS so that the GPS compresses them. What software are
        you using for uploading to your GPS? The latest version of
        OziExplorer has a filtering function to reduce the size of tracks, so
        you can reduce any track to 500 points using that. Provided the
        original track isn't too large it doesn't lose much detail. If it is
        then you could split it up into multiple tracks and load them into
        different save slots.

        Paul