Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: Using Maps and hardware from 60CS with 60 CSx?

  • GSV3Miac
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2010
      On 10/11/2010 13:10, clay_tiller wrote:

      When my 60csx was stolen in June 2009, I immediately bought another one. Big mistake. I found I could not unlock the CN US, CN Europe or Garmap for South Africa that were on the stolen device. Nor could I buy a new unlock code on line. I called Garmin and was told, rather curtly if not rudely, that I would have to buy all new maps. No amount of trying to reason, telling them that the stolen unit had been reported and therefore the new maps could not be used on two decives, worked.

      Take it up with your insurance company - the maps were stolen just like the unit was. I assume you WERE insured?

      --
      GSV   Three Minds in a Can
      17,270 Km walked. 3,056 Km PROWs surveyed. 55.2% complete.

    • rjnava
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2010

        Thank you for your replies.  I decided to order a 60CSx from the cheapest place I found (Wal-Mart) for under $200 delivered.  I had paid $410 for the 60CS back in 2004, plus shipping, taxes, etc.

        The maps I had loaded in my 60CS were not lockable, so I do not need to re-purchase them, but the suggestion to go to GPSFileDepot.com was excellent.  Their topo of my home state is far better than the one I had bought from Garmin while I still had the eTrex Vista many years ago.

        Good luck to the person who also had his unit stolen - insurance companies can be exhausting to deal with, as I found out.  They just hope you will give up and go away.

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Amir Findling K9CHP <sarlabs@...> wrote:

        > Externally, both the 60CS and 60CSX are the same, so you can use all the
        > mounts, cases etc. you already own. BTW the best prices for the 60csx
        > are around $199.00 nowadays.
        >
        > Maps: locked maps will have to be purchased again, but I believe the
        > maps you have are not locked so this will not be a problem. Now these
        > seem quite old and you may want to look for newer/better and FREE maps
        > at www.gpsfiledepot.com
        >

        > ========================
        >
        > 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS, DXCC
        >
        > www.K9CHP.net <http://www.k9chp.net> Blog:http://k9chp.blogspot.com
        > <http://k9chp.blogspot.com/>
        >
        > Eagle Valley Search Dogs <http://evdogs.org/>, Senior K9 Handler
        >
        > K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of Search Teams
        > <http://www.nysfedsar.org/>
        >
        > 1st Special Response Group <http://www.1srg.org/> (1SRG)
        >

        > On 11/9/2010 11:44, rjnava wrote:
        > >
        > > Since my trusty Map60CS was stolen in the spring of 2010 I've been
        > > looking to get a similar unit for hiking, bicyling, etc., which will
        > > use all my existing cases, handlebar mounts, maps I already own, and
        > > so on.
        > >
        > > Does the 60CSX allow use of the same mounts, Mapsource US Topo (1999),
        > > and MetroGuide maps, etc? The 60CSX is dirt-cheap now as it is being
        > > phased out.
        > >
        > > This is strictly for hiking and bicycling use, not for car navigation.
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > RJNava

      • rjnava
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
          I've had the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS for several months now and I have found only one problem:

          Under moderate jarring, like when jogging, the memory chip under the battery gets dislodged and the GPS stops working.

          Short of using superglue, any suggestions on locking the chip in place?

          Thanks.

          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "rjnava" <rjnava@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for your replies. I decided to order a 60CSx from the
          > cheapest place I found (Wal-Mart) for under $200 delivered. I had paid
          > $410 for the 60CS back in 2004, plus shipping, taxes, etc.
          >
          > The maps I had loaded in my 60CS were not lockable, so I do not need to
          > re-purchase them, but the suggestion to go to GPSFileDepot.com was
          > excellent. Their topo of my home state is far better than the one I had
          > bought from Garmin while I still had the eTrex Vista many years ago.
          >
          > Good luck to the person who also had his unit stolen - insurance
          > companies can be exhausting to deal with, as I found out. They just
          > hope you will give up and go away.
          >

          > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Amir Findling K9CHP
          > <sarlabs@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Externally, both the 60CS and 60CSX are the same, so you can use all
          > the
          > > mounts, cases etc. you already own. BTW the best prices for the 60csx
          > > are around $199.00 nowadays.
          > >
          > > Maps: locked maps will have to be purchased again, but I believe the
          > > maps you have are not locked so this will not be a problem. Now these
          > > seem quite old and you may want to look for newer/better and FREE maps
          > > at www.gpsfiledepot.com
          > >

          > > ========================
          > >
          > > 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS, DXCC
          > >
          > > www.K9CHP.net <http://www.k9chp.net> Blog:http://k9chp.blogspot.com
          > > <http://k9chp.blogspot.com/>
          > >
          > > Eagle Valley Search Dogs <http://evdogs.org/>, Senior K9 Handler
          > >
          > > K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of Search Teams
          > > <http://www.nysfedsar.org/>
          > >
          > > 1st Special Response Group <http://www.1srg.org/> (1SRG)
          > >

          > > On 11/9/2010 11:44, rjnava wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Since my trusty Map60CS was stolen in the spring of 2010 I've been
          > > > looking to get a similar unit for hiking, bicyling, etc., which will
          > > > use all my existing cases, handlebar mounts, maps I already own, and
          > > > so on.
          > > >
          > > > Does the 60CSX allow use of the same mounts, Mapsource US Topo
          > (1999),
          > > > and MetroGuide maps, etc? The 60CSX is dirt-cheap now as it is being
          > > > phased out.
          > > >
          > > > This is strictly for hiking and bicycling use, not for car
          > navigation.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > RJNava

        • Amir Findling
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011

            You may have to look hard for
            Metromaps but they should work on the 60cox. Look up gpsfiledepot for better top maps.

            Amir K9CHP from my Verizon Droid Incredible

          • GSV3Miac
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
              On 03/03/2011 13:02, rjnava wrote:

              I've had the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS for several months now and I have found only one problem:

              Under moderate jarring, like when jogging, the memory chip under the battery gets dislodged and the GPS stops working.

              Short of using superglue, any suggestions on locking the chip in place?

              Have you slid the (not very obvious) clip ALL the way into place? (down, until it 'clicks').

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2011
                Thank you for your suggestion. I looked and at first could not make it "click". Then I noticed a "lock" sign with an arrow towards the bottom of the GPS. Sure enough, the cover SLIDES like you said and then locks.

                You're making me think that even though I owned a MapGPS60CS for years before getting this MapGPSCSx, I may have to read the instruction book! :-)

                Thanks again.