Upgrading from City Navigator NA v7

  • paulk5esw
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
      In 2006 I bought City Navigator NA v7 on DVD and added a 512 MB SD Micro card to my GPS Map60CSx. I have thought about upgrading the maps but Garmin's upgrade was about $75 each year and did not seem like good value.

      I noticed in the past few years, Garmin came out with an NT version of City Navigator. I thought about upgrading to one of the NT upgrades, but Garmin told me the NT upgrades required the NT base and would not upgrade my City Navigator NA v7.

      I am again looking to update and see they have a City Navigator North America 2009 Update for my system. However I also see they have "nüMaps Lifetime™ North America." For about $100, It seems a decent deal.

      I intend to get a bigger SD Micro card and buy the nüMaps Lifetime™ North America. Are there any disadvantages of going this way?

      PaulF
    • k0kls
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
        I signed up for the lifetime program. I've done three upgrades since getting it. Here are my first impressions.

        It got easier as I went along.

        Another thing that has changed is that subscriptions to the traffic services has gone from a $60 annual fee to a $60 lifetime fee. I paid my $60 in September, just before the lifetime deal was offered.

        When my renewal time came up, I asked Garmin if they would cut me a break. They moved me over to the lifetime program for no additional charge because my renewal was so close to the change.

        Another reason why I like doing business with them.

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "paulk5esw" <paul@...> wrote:

        > In 2006 I bought City Navigator NA v7 on DVD and added a 512 MB SD Micro card to my GPS Map60CSx. I have thought about upgrading the maps but Garmin's upgrade was about $75 each year and did not seem like good value.
        >
        > I noticed in the past few years, Garmin came out with an NT version of City Navigator. I thought about upgrading to one of the NT upgrades, but Garmin told me the NT upgrades required the NT base and would not upgrade my City Navigator NA v7.
        >
        > I am again looking to update and see they have a City Navigator North America 2009 Update for my system. However I also see they have "nüMaps Lifetime™ North America." For about $100, It seems a decent deal.
        >
        > I intend to get a bigger SD Micro card and buy the nüMaps Lifetime™ North America. Are there any disadvantages of going this way?
        >
        > PaulF

      • TVNAV.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 14, 2009
            Just a thought, but for the money, why not purchase a new or even refurbished car GPS from Amazon and then download the free map update? I just purchased a refurbed Garmin Nuvi 255W and that came with the newest maps available after I did the update and also came with a year warranty just as a new one would of. I still use my 60C in the woods but I have the topo maps on there.

            In 2006 I bought City Navigator NA v7 on DVD and added a 512 MB SD Micro card to my GPS Map60CSx. I have thought about upgrading the maps but Garmin's upgrade was about $75 each year and did not seem like good value.

            I noticed in the past few years, Garmin came out with an NT version of City Navigator. I thought about upgrading to one of the NT upgrades, but Garmin told me the NT upgrades required the NT base and would not upgrade my City Navigator NA v7.

            I am again looking to update and see they have a City Navigator North America 2009 Update for my system. However I also see they have "nüMaps Lifetime(tm) North America." For about $100, It seems a decent deal.

            I intend to get a bigger SD Micro card and buy the nüMaps Lifetime(tm) North America. Are there any disadvantages of going this way?

            PaulF