Re: 60CS Button Problems

  • mok_hud
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Yep, my 60CS has problems with the IN and OUT buttons. They do not
      work most of the time. I can usually get them to work for short
      periods of time by squeezing the case on the sides. Originally I was
      thinking it was some kind of software bug until I discovered the
      squeeze fix. Another user posted a similar problem (different
      buttons) on the GPSCity forums. I haven't contacted Garmin yet as I
      needed to use the unit this weekend. I'll probably give them a call
      this week and will likely have to send it back for repairs. I'm not
      exactly happy that a brand new fairly expensive unit has to go back
      for repairs. Makes you wonder if Garmin has a design and or quality
      control issue with these new units.

      -Mike

      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "newgps60c" <yurek@c...>
      wrote:
      > I have seen comments from a couple of new owners that they were
      > having trouble with the buttons not working any more after a couple
      > of months. Problems with the case? Any others haveing this kind of
      > problem. Looks like a new unit with lots of bugs to work out.
    • mok_hud
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        Just an update...

        My situation has gotten worse. I can no longer get the "In" and "Out"
        buttons working by squeezing the case and now the "Find", "Mark",
        and "Quit" buttons have stopped working as well. With just
        the "Enter", "Menu", and "Page" buttons still working, it makes using
        the unit a bit of a challenge.

        Fortunately I contacted Garmin support last week and I am sending the
        unit back for warrenty repair. They are paying shipping both ways
        (but only after I asked for it). They claim 7 to 10 days turnaround.

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "mok_hud" <mok_hud@y...>
        wrote:
        > Yep, my 60CS has problems with the IN and OUT buttons. They do not
        > work most of the time. I can usually get them to work for short
        > periods of time by squeezing the case on the sides. Originally I
        was
        > thinking it was some kind of software bug until I discovered the
        > squeeze fix. Another user posted a similar problem (different
        > buttons) on the GPSCity forums. I haven't contacted Garmin yet as I
        > needed to use the unit this weekend. I'll probably give them a call
        > this week and will likely have to send it back for repairs. I'm not
        > exactly happy that a brand new fairly expensive unit has to go back
        > for repairs. Makes you wonder if Garmin has a design and or quality
        > control issue with these new units.
        >
        > -Mike
        >
        > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "newgps60c"
        <yurek@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > I have seen comments from a couple of new owners that they were
        > > having trouble with the buttons not working any more after a
        couple
        > > of months. Problems with the case? Any others haveing this kind
        of
        > > problem. Looks like a new unit with lots of bugs to work out.
      • ahogan2
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
          Just to let you know - My power button stopped working - at the time
          the unit was on and I had to pull the batteries to shut it off. I
          replaced the batteries ... nothing... new batteries.. nothing. I
          returned it to the store and the tech guy said "Yup, it's not
          working". He estimated a turnaround time of 6 to 8 WEEKS.

          It's 3 weeks now and I'm trying to be patient. Of course I'm still
          waiting for the Auto Package that I ordered back in April so maybe
          I'll receive them all at once.

          Good luck on your return.
          -Anne

          <mok_hud@y...> wrote:
          > Just an update...
          >
          > My situation has gotten worse. I can no longer get the "In"
          and "Out"
          > buttons working by squeezing the case and now the "Find", "Mark",
          > and "Quit" buttons have stopped working as well. With just
          > the "Enter", "Menu", and "Page" buttons still working, it makes
          using
          > the unit a bit of a challenge.
          >
          > Fortunately I contacted Garmin support last week and I am sending
          the
          > unit back for warrenty repair. They are paying shipping both ways
          > (but only after I asked for it). They claim 7 to 10 days
          turnaround.

          > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "mok_hud"
          <mok_hud@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Yep, my 60CS has problems with the IN and OUT buttons. They do
          not
          > > work most of the time. I can usually get them to work for short
          > > periods of time by squeezing the case on the sides. Originally I
          > was
          > > thinking it was some kind of software bug until I discovered the
          > > squeeze fix. Another user posted a similar problem (different
          > > buttons) on the GPSCity forums. I haven't contacted Garmin yet
          as I
          > > needed to use the unit this weekend. I'll probably give them a
          call
          > > this week and will likely have to send it back for repairs. I'm
          not
          > > exactly happy that a brand new fairly expensive unit has to go
          back
          > > for repairs. Makes you wonder if Garmin has a design and or
          quality
          > > control issue with these new units.
          > >
          > > -Mike
          > >
          > > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "newgps60c"
          > <yurek@c...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > I have seen comments from a couple of new owners that they
          were
          > > > having trouble with the buttons not working any more after a
          > couple
          > > > of months. Problems with the case? Any others haveing this
          kind
          > of
          > > > problem. Looks like a new unit with lots of bugs to work out.
        • Farris Dan-CEMX16
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
            I have experienced this same problem. Mine only took a couple of weeks to be repaired and returned to me. From the tech's notes, I saw that the power button was resoldered.

            My problem occurred during a Hawaiian vacation. Perhaps the twisty turns on the Road to Hana had something to do with it. ;-) Fortunately, my tracklogs were still intact after the repair, so I at least have a one-way log of that great ride.

            --
            Dan Farris
            Motorola, Inc.