Re: Digest Number 1187

  • gerry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2009
      More correctly, Windows CAN'T remember MANY/MOST USB devices.

      This is because most USB devices do not implement iSerialNumber. iSerialNumber is a unique identifier when combined with the manufacturer's ID and device type uniquely identifies a specific unit.

      Without iSerialNumber, Windows has to guess, the only safe guess sans iSerialNumber is it is a unique device when on a different port.

      gerry

      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Bob DeHaney" <bobdehaney@...> wrote:

      > Windows does not remember the USB device when it is plugged into a different
      > USB port. So either always use the same port or wait until it re-installs
      > the driver.

    • clarencedold
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "gerry" <NaturistCamper@...> wrote:

        > Without iSerialNumber, Windows has to guess, the only safe guess sans iSerialNumber is it is a unique device when on a different port.

        My GPSMap60cs does not give the "new hardware" prompt each time I insert it. I can't discern when the new hardware notice appears, but it is not every time, nor after every reboot.

        I did get it today when I used ports that I know I have used before, although with seven different USB ports on this docked laptop, it's hard to say. Moving amongst ports does not give the message again, although maybe a reboot might change that.

        Probing around, without a reboot, it seems that any port other than the last one used before the reboot might reload the driver.

        I usually don't get a new hardware note, because I tend to use the same port each time.