RE: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Digest Number 1187

  • Bob DeHaney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2009
      Windows does not remember the USB device when it is plugged into a different
      USB port. So either always use the same port or wait until it re-installs
      the driver.

      From: Bill Ruggirello

      Message
      1a. Re: Probably something simple
      Posted by: "Bill Ruggirello" ruggb66@... ruggb66
      Date: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:36 am ((PDT))

      I don't remember what it did under XP, but it is doing the same thing as ur
      system is doing on my W7.

      It does it for every port I plug it into.

      As long as it connects to the software, I wouldn't worry about it.

      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Susan I" <forty4san@...>
      wrote:

      > I can not get the computer (now I maybe wording this wrong) to remember
      (windows xp) that I've installed the driver for the GPS. Every time I plug
      the USB cord it comes up as new hardware. I redo it, I have even rebooted.

      > Simple oversite I'm sure?
      >
      > Susan I

      Messages in this topic (2)

      18:00:00
    • gerry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2009
        More correctly, Windows CAN'T remember MANY/MOST USB devices.

        This is because most USB devices do not implement iSerialNumber. iSerialNumber is a unique identifier when combined with the manufacturer's ID and device type uniquely identifies a specific unit.

        Without iSerialNumber, Windows has to guess, the only safe guess sans iSerialNumber is it is a unique device when on a different port.

        gerry

        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Bob DeHaney" <bobdehaney@...> wrote:

        > Windows does not remember the USB device when it is plugged into a different
        > USB port. So either always use the same port or wait until it re-installs
        > the driver.

      • clarencedold
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "gerry" <NaturistCamper@...> wrote:

          > Without iSerialNumber, Windows has to guess, the only safe guess sans iSerialNumber is it is a unique device when on a different port.

          My GPSMap60cs does not give the "new hardware" prompt each time I insert it. I can't discern when the new hardware notice appears, but it is not every time, nor after every reboot.

          I did get it today when I used ports that I know I have used before, although with seven different USB ports on this docked laptop, it's hard to say. Moving amongst ports does not give the message again, although maybe a reboot might change that.

          Probing around, without a reboot, it seems that any port other than the last one used before the reboot might reload the driver.

          I usually don't get a new hardware note, because I tend to use the same port each time.