Re: Waypoint Geotagging

  • Hamilton Moore
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
      Why would I use waypoints?

      I use the gps to document archaeological sites. The waypoint number is recorded in a log
      together with other information about the artifact which is being photographed. I do not
      wish to have the gps in the photo of the object when I take the photo. In addition, I wish
      to use a spread sheet of the waypoint printouts correlated with photo numbers. Finally,
      operationally it is much more useful to have the gps operator take record the information
      then move on to the next artifact while the photographer is setting up to take the photo.
      The waypoint number is coordinated with a field drawing of the artifact.

      I know how to connect photos to tracklogs. I am asking for some help connecting
      waypoints to photos. I can do that manually on a one to one basis in one of the programs
      without having to retype the lat long info and that is satisfactory though somewhat time
      consuming.

      I also have a camera which records the camera's location when the photograph is taken in
      the metadata in the photograph; but again, the camera location is not the same location
      as the artifact. Sometimes that distance is a few feet, sometimes 100.

      I understand about the accuracy of my devices and all the rest. If anyone has any ideas
      about how to imbed the location information from gps WAYPOINTS into the metadata of
      photos, I would appreciate it.

      Thank you
    • Daniel Farris
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009

        In Mapsource, delete everything except your waypoints and "Save as.."  using GPS eXchange Format (gpx) and you should be able to use the resulting file as your location data input just the same as if it contained a track log.

        I use gpsphoto.pl (perl), to do the time stamp matching, myself. I suggest backing up your photos before adding geotags, until you're sure you've got the tags exactly right.

        --Dan Farris

        On Feb 2, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Hamilton Moore wrote:

[...]

      • brendans66
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
          From your description, it doesn't sound as though there would be any
          info in the photo to connect it with the waypoint.

          Brendan