convert tracks to routes on MAC

  • Hamilton Moore
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
      Any ideas?
    • robertlipe@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
        GPSBabel.

        On 1/15/09, Hamilton Moore <moore_hd@...> wrote:
        > Any ideas?

      • clarencedold
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 16, 2009
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, robertlipe@... wrote:

          > GPSBabel.

          I looked at GPSbabel last night, which does have a Mac-OS-X download,
          but I couldn't find the "convert tracks to routes" part.
          The keyword is "transform".

          http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_transform.html

          First I tried too large of a gpx file to transform. I couldn't open
          it with MapSource on a PC. I copied just one track to a new gpx
          file, and the transform worked.

          gpsbabel -i gpx -f Track.gpx -x transform,rte=t -o gpx -F route.gpx

          It is kind of silly looking as a route, but it could be cleaned up
          later in some GUI tool.

          Clarence.Dold@...
        • Robert Lipe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 16, 2009
            On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM, clarencedold <dold@...> wrote:
            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, robertlipe@... wrote:

            > GPSBabel.

            I looked at GPSbabel last night, which does have a Mac-OS-X download,
            but I couldn't find the "convert tracks to routes" part.
            The keyword is "transform".

            http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_transform.html

            First I tried too large of a gpx file to transform.  I couldn't open
            it with MapSource on a PC.  I copied just one track to a new gpx
            file, and the transform worked.

            gpsbabel -i gpx -f Track.gpx -x transform,rte=t -o gpx -F route.gpx

            It is kind of silly looking as a route, but it could be cleaned up
            later in some GUI tool.

            Tracks (typically thousands of points) frequently blow out limits of routes (typically scores of points) in many software.  You often have to reduce the number of points using someting like GPSBabel's simplify filter http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_simplify.html while making tradeoffs to fit it into the target format while maximizing fidelity of the polyline.

            --
            Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA  GPS: 38.8,-122.5
            Clarence.Dold@...

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • clarencedold
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
              <robertlipe@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM, clarencedold <dold@...>wrote:
              > > http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_transform.html
              > > First I tried too large of a gpx file to transform. I couldn't

              > Tracks (typically thousands of points) frequently blow out limits
              > of routes (typically scores of points) in many software.

              > http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_simplify.html
              > while making tradeoffs to fit it into the target format while
              > maximizing fidelity of the polyline.

              Making a Track into a Route is going to require some intelligence
              applied after the fact. The numbered points probably need to be
              renamed to something meaningful, and fidelity of the polyline is not
              something that leaps to mind. The best looking line might not be
              sensible in terms of the directions needed for a route that you could
              follow at some later time. Sharp turns while continuing on what is
              obviously the same path could be eliminated, but a marker might need
              to exist at a branch that would not be noticed strictly by looking at
              a track.

              I presume that some other tool is in use on the Mac, like MapSource,
              so cleanup could be done after the transformation. The simplification
              tool might make that manual cleanup a lot easier.

            • Hamilton Moore
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
                Thanks, I feel like a big step forward. I wondered what the filters were for. But I am
                unsure how to enter the filter. It says they are entered on a command line, I don't even
                know how to find a command line on a MAC. But if I get that far, how do I move from
                there?

                Also, since I can see you know much, is there a way to get the time information off
                Waypoints so that they can be used to geotag photos?

                I do have a camera which records GPS information and I have a Gps which is attached to it
                but I need the location of what is being photographed and not the location of where the
                camera is.

                Any thoughts?

                > I looked at GPSbabel last night, which does have a Mac-OS-X download,
                > but I couldn't find the "convert tracks to routes" part.
                > The keyword is "transform".
                >
                > http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_transform.html
                >
                > First I tried too large of a gpx file to transform. I couldn't open
                > it with MapSource on a PC. I copied just one track to a new gpx
                > file, and the transform worked.
                >
                > gpsbabel -i gpx -f Track.gpx -x transform,rte=t -o gpx -F route.gpx
                >
                > It is kind of silly looking as a route, but it could be cleaned up
                > later in some GUI tool.
                >
                > --
                > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5
                > Clarence.Dold@...

              • Robert Lipe
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
                  On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Hamilton Moore <jumpinglionphotography@...> wrote:
                  Thanks, I feel like a big step forward.  I wondered what the filters were for.  But I am
                  unsure how to enter the filter.

                  Some of the filters (not all) are available in the Mac GUI.

                  It says they are entered on a command line, I don't even
                  know how to find a command line on a MAC.  But if I get that far, how do I move from
                  there?

                  Applications->Utilities->Terminal

                  Also, since I can see you know much, is there a way to get the time information off
                  Waypoints so that they can be used to geotag photos?

                  I think you've asked that question in a couple of forums lately.

                  Very few, if any,  program will read time out of the waypoint comments becuase comparatively few GPSes put them there.   Tracks are the tool of that trade.  Something like an AMOD 3080 will record zillions of trackpoints and has a button that you can use to mark points if you need additional markup.

                  I've been on the edges of a couple dozen geotaggers (many of them use GPSBabel for their GPS schlepping) and know of none that read times from the comments.

                  RJL
                • clarencedold
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                    <robertlipe@...> wrote:
                    > Very few, if any, program will read time out of the waypoint comments
                    > becuase comparatively few GPSes put them there.

                    Garmin will have the timestamp in the Active Log, but it gets stripped
                    out of saved logs.

                  • Robert Lipe
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                      <robertlipe@...> wrote:
                      > Very few, if any,  program will read time out of the waypoint comments
                      > becuase comparatively few GPSes put them there.

                      Garmin will have the timestamp in the Active Log, but it gets stripped
                      out of saved logs.

                      There is no comment field in a Garmin trackpoint, active or otherwise.

                      OP was asking about programs reading the text in the comment field inserted by default into a manually created waypoint, not reading the actual time field in the data structure.

                    • Robert Lipe
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
                          <robertlipe@...> wrote:
                          > There is no comment field in a Garmin trackpoint; active or otherwise.
                          > OP was asking about programs reading the text in the comment field

                          I missed the topic drift from "convert tracks" in the subject line.

                          I had a camera that synchronized it's time with the PC every time I
                          uploaded photos. The PC was in turn synced with internet time.

                          I had my GPS tracking during most of my trip where I wanted to geotag
                          photos. Later, I compared the time stamp in a "dir /od" listing of the
                          photos to timestamped points on the Active Track, sometimes using
                          Google Earth to confirm a visual reference.

                          Sometimes I made waypoints when I took pictures, but only to mark the
                          spot, not specifically for the picture.