Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] RAM cradle (RAM-HOL-GA12U) - poor fit?

  • Sergio L Barroso
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2008
      Hi,

      There is a piece (a plastic black cylinder with a screw in one side)
      shipped with the 60CSx, used to fix it in the belt clip. It must be
      fixed on the GPS by screwing it in the proper place at the back top of
      the GPS.

      This piece must be fixed in the GPS, and it fits very tigthly in the
      hole at the top of the RAM-HOL-GA12U. Actually it is very hard to
      remove the GPS from the cradle when fixed this way.

      Are you using this piece to fix the GPS in the cradle?

      Sorry, but I don't know the proper name of the piece in English.

      Regards,
      Sérgio

      On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM, spinkjim <spinkjim@...> wrote:
      > Hi-
      > I just bought a RAM mount system for my new 60C. It seems like the
      > GPS isn't fitting very good in the RAM cradle (pn RAM-HOL-GA12U). It
      > sort of fits, but even with two zip ties helping to hold it down it's
      > really too loose. I'm certain the base of the GPS will pop out if I
      > use it off-road on my dual-sport motorcycle. It's almost like the GPS
      > housing is a tad small, or the cradle is tad big...or maybe both!.
      > Anyone else have this problem? Are there any good options? I have
      > another mount coming, but I suspect it will be the same fit.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jim

    • Sergio L Barroso
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2008
        Hi,

        I suppose Garmin calls the "plastic bacl cylinder" I mentioned a "button".

        You can see it with the belt clip in:

        https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=893

        This "button" must be "attached" into the hole in the RAM-HOL-GA12U cradle.

        Regards,
        Sérgio

        On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Sergio L Barroso <nqnnospam@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > There is a piece (a plastic black cylinder with a screw in one side)
        > shipped with the 60CSx, used to fix it in the belt clip. It must be
        > fixed on the GPS by screwing it in the proper place at the back top of
        > the GPS.
        >
        > This piece must be fixed in the GPS, and it fits very tigthly in the
        > hole at the top of the RAM-HOL-GA12U. Actually it is very hard to
        > remove the GPS from the cradle when fixed this way.
        >
        > Are you using this piece to fix the GPS in the cradle?
        >
        > Sorry, but I don't know the proper name of the piece in English.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sérgio
        >
        > On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM, spinkjim <spinkjim@...> wrote:
        >> Hi-
        >> I just bought a RAM mount system for my new 60C. It seems like the
        >> GPS isn't fitting very good in the RAM cradle (pn RAM-HOL-GA12U). It
        >> sort of fits, but even with two zip ties helping to hold it down it's
        >> really too loose. I'm certain the base of the GPS will pop out if I
        >> use it off-road on my dual-sport motorcycle. It's almost like the GPS
        >> housing is a tad small, or the cradle is tad big...or maybe both!.
        >> Anyone else have this problem? Are there any good options? I have
        >> another mount coming, but I suspect it will be the same fit.
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Jim

      • Jim Spink
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2008
          Yes, I have that button installed on the back of the GPS.  It "snaps" into the cradle like it's supposed to, but the "snap" is actually very loose.  It's almost like the button is maybe 0.5 mm too close to the base of the GPS.  Something isn't right...hopefully the new RAM cradle will solve the problem.  If that's not it, then the GPS housing must be defective.

          Jim

          On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Sergio L Barroso <nqnnospam@gmail. com> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > There is a piece (a plastic black cylinder with a screw in one side)
          > shipped with the 60CSx, used to fix it in the belt clip. It must be
          > fixed on the GPS by screwing it in the proper place at the back top of
          > the GPS.
          >
          > This piece must be fixed in the GPS, and it fits very tigthly in the
          > hole at the top of the RAM-HOL-GA12U. Actually it is very hard to
          > remove the GPS from the cradle when fixed this way.
          >
          > Are you using this piece to fix the GPS in the cradle?
          >
          > Sorry, but I don't know the proper name of the piece in English.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sérgio
          >
          > On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM, spinkjim <spinkjim@yahoo. com> wrote:
          >> Hi-
          >> I just bought a RAM mount system for my new 60C. It seems like the
          >> GPS isn't fitting very good in the RAM cradle (pn RAM-HOL-GA12U) . It
          >> sort of fits, but even with two zip ties helping to hold it down it's
          >> really too loose. I'm certain the base of the GPS will pop out if I
          >> use it off-road on my dual-sport motorcycle. It's almost like the GPS
          >> housing is a tad small, or the cradle is tad big...or maybe both!.
          >> Anyone else have this problem? Are there any good options? I have
          >> another mount coming, but I suspect it will be the same fit.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> Jim

        • Amir Findling K9CHP
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2008
            Hi Sergio:
            Don't worry about your English, your post was 100% clear to me at least. I knew immediately what you were talking about although I don't have that RAM mount.
            73 de K9CHP Amir Findling
            • 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, WAC
            • www.K9CHP.net
            • Senior K9 Handler, Cayuga County Highland SAR
            • K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams
            • 1st Special Response Group (1SRG)

            Sergio L Barroso wrote:

            Hi,

            I suppose Garmin calls the "plastic bacl cylinder" I mentioned a "button".

            You can see it with the belt clip in:

            https://buy. garmin.com/ shop/shop. do?pID=893

            This "button" must be "attached" into the hole in the RAM-HOL-GA12U cradle.

            Regards,
            Sérgio

            On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Sergio L Barroso <nqnnospam@gmail. com> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > There is a piece (a plastic black cylinder with a screw in one side)
            > shipped with the 60CSx, used to fix it in the belt clip. It must be
            > fixed on the GPS by screwing it in the proper place at the back top of
            > the GPS.
            >
            > This piece must be fixed in the GPS, and it fits very tigthly in the
            > hole at the top of the RAM-HOL-GA12U. Actually it is very hard to
            > remove the GPS from the cradle when fixed this way.
            >
            > Are you using this piece to fix the GPS in the cradle?
            >
            > Sorry, but I don't know the proper name of the piece in English.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sérgio
            >
            > On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM, spinkjim <spinkjim@yahoo. com> wrote:
            >> Hi-
            >> I just bought a RAM mount system for my new 60C. It seems like the
            >> GPS isn't fitting very good in the RAM cradle (pn RAM-HOL-GA12U) . It
            >> sort of fits, but even with two zip ties helping to hold it down it's
            >> really too loose. I'm certain the base of the GPS will pop out if I
            >> use it off-road on my dual-sport motorcycle. It's almost like the GPS
            >> housing is a tad small, or the cradle is tad big...or maybe both!.
            >> Anyone else have this problem? Are there any good options? I have
            >> another mount coming, but I suspect it will be the same fit.
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Jim

          • Jim Spink
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2008
              I just got the another new RAM cradle today, and it fits perfectly.  The original cradle is about 0.1 inch (~2.5mm) longer than the new cradle, so the original must be defective.  I can't imagine why it differs, since both cradles on first inspection look identical (but they aren't!)

              From: Amir Findling K9CHP <sarlabs@...>
              To: GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 6:02 AM

              Hi Sergio: