Re: How to upload/download waypoints to GPSMap60CS

  • clarencedold
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "wade.wall"
      <wade.wall@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > This is probably a stupid question, but I am in possession of a
      > GPSMap60CS with no software and I want to upload/ download waypoints
      > (currently in Arcmap point shapefile) into the unit. I have read
      the
      > owners manual, but can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions
      on
      > software to use/ how to manuals would be greatly appreciated.

      I don't know about the Arcmap point shapefile, but I use three free
      utilities for upload/download of waypoints with my 60cs.

      Windows GUI:
      http://www.EasyGPS.com will work with both receivers, and store data
      in a .gpx format, widely used.

      Windows GUI:
      G7toWin http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/ spreadsheet style layout,
      also works with gpx and csv.

      Windows/Linux/others command line:
      http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one
      receiver, stored in various formats, including gpx, and load them to
      another receiver.

      GPSbabel is installed with Google Earth.
      It can read directly from a Garmin GPS, storing output in a GPX file.

      Plug in the cable from the Garmin to your PC.
      start-run cmd
      cd c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth
      gpsbabel -t -r -w -i garmin -f com1 -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
      or
      gpsbabel -t -r -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
      -t tracks, -r routes, -w waypoints. -w is the default.

      Start Google Earth
      Open
      Files of type GPX
      Browse to c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth and open myfile.gpx

      http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/arcmap.html

    • Robert Lipe
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
        On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM, clarencedold <dold@...> wrote:

        Windows/Linux/others command line:
        http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one

        It's had a GUI for a long time,

        http://www.gpsbabel.org/screenshots.html

      • clarencedold
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lipe"
          <robertlipe@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM, clarencedold <dold@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Windows/Linux/others command line:
          > > http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one
          >
          > It's had a GUI for a long time,

          Oops. I didn't mean to overlook the GUI. I'm a command line kind of
          guy, and I have a bat file to do the repetitive things that I like to
          do. I did use the GUI once or twice, in the beginning, and the
          dropdowns give a good feel for features and how they blend, easier than
          reviewing the docs and --help output for a beginner.
          That line in my text is really meant to convey that gpsbabel runs on
          your choice of operating systems.
          I'll add "GUI" to my text.