Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: How to upload/download waypoints to GPSMap60CS

  • Robert Lipe
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
      On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Robert Lipe <robertlipe@...> wrote:

      On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Roy <roybassist@...> wrote:
      The OP is looking for software to handle an Arcmap point shapefile.  I
      don't think MapSource, or even the amazing GPSBabel (unless I missed it
      in the on the format list page), do that.  It sounds like the software

      GPSBabel has done shapefiles for a long time, but the reality is that shapefiles

      I do see now that I've never turned off the "undocumented feature" for that format,
      so Roy really didnt' miss it.  I'll look into turning that on for the next release.

      RJL

    • clarencedold
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "wade.wall"
        <wade.wall@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > This is probably a stupid question, but I am in possession of a
        > GPSMap60CS with no software and I want to upload/ download waypoints
        > (currently in Arcmap point shapefile) into the unit. I have read
        the
        > owners manual, but can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions
        on
        > software to use/ how to manuals would be greatly appreciated.

        I don't know about the Arcmap point shapefile, but I use three free
        utilities for upload/download of waypoints with my 60cs.

        Windows GUI:
        http://www.EasyGPS.com will work with both receivers, and store data
        in a .gpx format, widely used.

        Windows GUI:
        G7toWin http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/ spreadsheet style layout,
        also works with gpx and csv.

        Windows/Linux/others command line:
        http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one
        receiver, stored in various formats, including gpx, and load them to
        another receiver.

        GPSbabel is installed with Google Earth.
        It can read directly from a Garmin GPS, storing output in a GPX file.

        Plug in the cable from the Garmin to your PC.
        start-run cmd
        cd c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth
        gpsbabel -t -r -w -i garmin -f com1 -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
        or
        gpsbabel -t -r -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
        -t tracks, -r routes, -w waypoints. -w is the default.

        Start Google Earth
        Open
        Files of type GPX
        Browse to c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth and open myfile.gpx

        http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/arcmap.html

      • Robert Lipe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
          On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM, clarencedold <dold@...> wrote:

          Windows/Linux/others command line:
          http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one

          It's had a GUI for a long time,

          http://www.gpsbabel.org/screenshots.html

        • clarencedold
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lipe"
            <robertlipe@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM, clarencedold <dold@...>
            > wrote:
            > > Windows/Linux/others command line:
            > > http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one
            >
            > It's had a GUI for a long time,

            Oops. I didn't mean to overlook the GUI. I'm a command line kind of
            guy, and I have a bat file to do the repetitive things that I like to
            do. I did use the GUI once or twice, in the beginning, and the
            dropdowns give a good feel for features and how they blend, easier than
            reviewing the docs and --help output for a beginner.
            That line in my text is really meant to convey that gpsbabel runs on
            your choice of operating systems.
            I'll add "GUI" to my text.