Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] How to upload/download waypoints to GPSMap60CS

  • Sean Curry
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2008
      Wade,

      You can try the DNR Garmin utility, free from the Minnesota Department
      of Natural Resources at
      http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html,
      or just Google "dnrgarmin". The utility can upload and download
      shapefiles, and has worked very well for me.

      Sean

      wade.wall wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > This is probably a stupid question, but I am in possession of a
      > GPSMap60CS with no software and I want to upload/ download waypoints
      > (currently in Arcmap point shapefile) into the unit. I have read the
      > owners manual, but can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions on
      > software to use/ how to manuals would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Wade

    • Reha Yurdakul
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2008
        Hello,
        I guess your GPS is second hand, because in the box of 60CSx, there is
        a software called Garmin Trip&Waypoint Manager.. if you dont have it
        and if you can not find it, let me know.. I can upload to somewhere so
        that you can download it.. reha

        --
        reha yurdakul
        www.rehayurdakul.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 18, 2008
          Look through the recent posts in the group for one from me and it includes the link to Garmin's Mapsource download.  The program's free. The thing is it's really designed to work with the proper maps from Garmin, but it also works quite well with other maps. It also does the waypoints too...

          Nick

          This is probably a stupid question, but I am in possession of a
          GPSMap60CS with no software and I want to upload/ download waypoints
          (currently in Arcmap point shapefile) into the unit. I have read the
          owners manual, but can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions on
          software to use/ how to manuals would be greatly appreciated.

          Wade

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
          A Smarter Email.
        • Roy
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
            The OP is looking for software to handle an Arcmap point shapefile. I
            don't think MapSource, or even the amazing GPSBabel (unless I missed it
            in the on the format list page), do that. It sounds like the software
            suggested by Sean Curry will, though.
          • Robert Lipe
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
              On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Roy <roybassist@...> wrote:
              The OP is looking for software to handle an Arcmap point shapefile.  I
              don't think MapSource, or even the amazing GPSBabel (unless I missed it
              in the on the format list page), do that.  It sounds like the software

              GPSBabel has done shapefiles for a long time, but the reality is that shapefiles
              are kind of a bad fit for GPS so there are a lot of excuses surrounding its use.

              If your file contains only points and you have a field named "NAME", it works OK.

            • Robert Lipe
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
                On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Robert Lipe <robertlipe@...> wrote:

                On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Roy <roybassist@...> wrote:
                The OP is looking for software to handle an Arcmap point shapefile.  I
                don't think MapSource, or even the amazing GPSBabel (unless I missed it
                in the on the format list page), do that.  It sounds like the software

                GPSBabel has done shapefiles for a long time, but the reality is that shapefiles

                I do see now that I've never turned off the "undocumented feature" for that format,
                so Roy really didnt' miss it.  I'll look into turning that on for the next release.

                RJL

              • clarencedold
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "wade.wall"
                  <wade.wall@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > This is probably a stupid question, but I am in possession of a
                  > GPSMap60CS with no software and I want to upload/ download waypoints
                  > (currently in Arcmap point shapefile) into the unit. I have read
                  the
                  > owners manual, but can't find out how to do this. Any suggestions
                  on
                  > software to use/ how to manuals would be greatly appreciated.

                  I don't know about the Arcmap point shapefile, but I use three free
                  utilities for upload/download of waypoints with my 60cs.

                  Windows GUI:
                  http://www.EasyGPS.com will work with both receivers, and store data
                  in a .gpx format, widely used.

                  Windows GUI:
                  G7toWin http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/ spreadsheet style layout,
                  also works with gpx and csv.

                  Windows/Linux/others command line:
                  http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one
                  receiver, stored in various formats, including gpx, and load them to
                  another receiver.

                  GPSbabel is installed with Google Earth.
                  It can read directly from a Garmin GPS, storing output in a GPX file.

                  Plug in the cable from the Garmin to your PC.
                  start-run cmd
                  cd c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth
                  gpsbabel -t -r -w -i garmin -f com1 -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
                  or
                  gpsbabel -t -r -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
                  -t tracks, -r routes, -w waypoints. -w is the default.

                  Start Google Earth
                  Open
                  Files of type GPX
                  Browse to c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth and open myfile.gpx

                  http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/arcmap.html

                • Robert Lipe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
                    On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM, clarencedold <dold@...> wrote:

                    Windows/Linux/others command line:
                    http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one

                    It's had a GUI for a long time,

                    http://www.gpsbabel.org/screenshots.html

                  • clarencedold
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
                      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lipe"
                      <robertlipe@...> wrote:

                      > On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM, clarencedold <dold@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Windows/Linux/others command line:
                      > > http://www.gpsbabel.org/ This will also draw files out of one
                      >
                      > It's had a GUI for a long time,

                      Oops. I didn't mean to overlook the GUI. I'm a command line kind of
                      guy, and I have a bat file to do the repetitive things that I like to
                      do. I did use the GUI once or twice, in the beginning, and the
                      dropdowns give a good feel for features and how they blend, easier than
                      reviewing the docs and --help output for a beginner.
                      That line in my text is really meant to convey that gpsbabel runs on
                      your choice of operating systems.
                      I'll add "GUI" to my text.