Marine Applications - VHF Radios and GPSMAP60CS

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 2:41 PM
      I have a 60CS I've enjoyed, and I'd like to use it on my boat. I am
      looking for a new VHF Radio, and many of them say:

      "Send GPS position to other boats when connected to most GPS receivers"

      Hmmmm

      Will my 60CS do this?

      What's your experience with the 60CS over water?

      Thanks

      Rick
    • johnatyson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 6:28 PM
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <ecc312@...> wrote:

        > I have a 60CS I've enjoyed, and I'd like to use it on my boat. I am
        > looking for a new VHF Radio, and many of them say:
        >
        > "Send GPS position to other boats when connected to most GPS receivers"
        >
        > Hmmmm
        >
        > Will my 60CS do this?
        >
        > What's your experience with the 60CS over water?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Rick

        Should certainly be possible (the 60CS data format can be set to NMEA, which stands for

        "NATIONAL MARINE ELECTRONICS ASSOCIATION").  Check the specifics on the the radios you are looking at, but I would be very suprised if the didn't work with the 60CS.  Other than the fact that it doesn't float, (tie a cork to it or tie it to you or the boat), there shouldn't be any problems over water.

        John

      • dickandjill
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 9:58 AM
          wrote:

          > I have a 60CS I've enjoyed, and I'd like to use it on my boat. I
          am
          > looking for a new VHF Radio, and many of them say:
          >
          > "Send GPS position to other boats when connected to most GPS
          receivers"

          > Hmmmm
          >
          > Will my 60CS do this?
          >
          > What's your experience with the 60CS over water?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Rick

          Hi Rick
          I've got a 60cx which I have connected to ny Navnam 7100 and your
          position shows up on the vhf screen.The vhf manual and the garmin
          manual both have wiring diagram with wire colours etc so its pretty
          straightforward to wire up.
          Garmin do a data connector and you use the brown(data out)wire and
          the black(ground)wire.
          Connect these to the NMEA IN (+) and the NMEA IN (-) wires of your
          VHF
          Good luck
          Richard
          Richard