Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] Re: Distance between 2 points

  • Barry L. Lankford
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2007
      Clarence Dold wrote:
      > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "jmconley52"
      > <jmconley52@...> wrote:
      >
      >>On my old Garmin unit I could easily have the GPS calculate the
      >>distance between 2 saved waypoints,
      >

      > You could make a "route" with those two points, calculate for off-road.
      > I show about 7400 miles to my house from Baghdad. Looking at
      > the "route" in Google Earth shows a polar route, skimming the top edge
      > of Greenland.

      Clarence,

      When I first read your suggestion I liked the idea a lot. Much easier than
      my roundabout method I described in a previous post. Then I remembered
      that my 76CS insists on making the beginning of a route start at wherever
      I'm currently at. But I tried it, and it does work. The reason is that
      even though the GPS considers the route to start where I'm currently at,
      you can add Waypoint A and Waypoint B as the next two points of the route
      and the GPS shows the distance of the last entered LEG of the route.

      As a test, I tried it with a route segment I'd previously tried using my
      roundabout method with my home as Waypoint A and a place I'd parked at in
      Edinburgh as Waypoint B. I got 4048 statue miles, the same value I'd
      gotten the old way. I found that I could also see the great circle route
      on the GPS's map if I hid the City Select NA map, enabled the world basemap
      (and zoomed out all the way).

      Another nice thing is that with your route method, you have the use of all
      the ways Garmin provided to specify the route points, and you don't
      necessarily have to use previously saved waypoints. I tried that using
      FIND -> CITIES to specify the first route point and the "add from map"
      method to specify the second route point. Same answer!

      Great idea!

      Barry
    • clarencedold
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2007
        --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford"
        <BarryL@...> wrote:
        > When I first read your suggestion I liked the idea a lot.
        > Much easier than my roundabout method I described in a previous
        > post. Then I remembered that my 76CS insists on making the
        > beginning of a route start at wherever I'm currently at.

        With the 60cs, I can find a waypoint, then Menu, add to route, new
        route. It doesn't start with the current position.

      • Barry L. Lankford
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
          clarencedold wrote:
          > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford"
          > <BarryL@...> wrote:
          >
          >>When I first read your suggestion I liked the idea a lot.
          >>Much easier than my roundabout method I described in a previous
          >>post. Then I remembered that my 76CS insists on making the
          >>beginning of a route start at wherever I'm currently at.
          >

          > With the 60cs, I can find a waypoint, then Menu, add to route, new
          > route. It doesn't start with the current position.

          True, I didn't explain myself clearly. At first, before actually trying
          the method on my GPS, I thought it might start a route with the current
          position because of a pecularity I noticed upon first transitioning from my
          old GPS12XL to my newly acquired GPSMAP76CS. I tried to write a better
          explanation, but ended up with a merely longer unclear explanation. Since
          I wasn't able to explain it well, I shouldn't have even mentioned it and
          confused the issue. I've learned from my mistake, and won't try to clear
          it up now! Trust me, it'd have made some sense if I could show you face to
          face on my GPS. ;-)

          Bottom line is, it works and works well.

          Barry