Re: Serial Communication

  • ruggb66
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
      OK u made me work for this one, BUT I have the solution.

      I connected my 60 to my scope, and indeed there is no signal on the Tx
      line. So what can be the problem. Well, I guess this is Garmin's idea
      of a joke because I see no need for this configuration unless it is
      used for reason three below.

      Anyway, since the Tx line of the Garmin is actually transmit data then
      this device is considered a DCE. But the Tx line of the PC should
      actually be its RECEIVE line. I bet it isn't. therefore it doesn't
      conform to RS-232 spec and you can't tell which is DCE and which is
      DTE that way. That BS is why this is so confused.

      They have configured this, I guess u want the answer huh?

      they have configured the Rx line to tell them that the unit is
      connected. It is a combination Rx and DTR (Data Terminal Ready) line.
      OR they could be using it as an RTS (Request To Send) line. OR even
      funnier (this is reason 3), they could be using it as power for the
      communication circuit. Now this is where that previous BS becomes
      important.

      In order to know which line to connect to the Rx line to make this
      work you need to know what kind of device DCE or DTE you are
      connecting it to. Because on a DCE, DTR and RTS are inputs. The are
      outputs (and have voltage on them) if it is a DTE. Or you can use a
      voltmeter.

      To make the Garmin work you need to connect the Rx line to a positive
      voltage. Anywhere from 3v up should do it. I don't know what the limit
      is but I would assume 12v is safe because the RS-232 spec calls for
      operation at +- 15v.

      For ease of connection measure the volts on other pins of the rcvr.
      If it is a DB9, pin 4 DTR or pin 6 RTS should be positive. It will be
      on a PC because a PC IS a DTE.

      BTW, I DID verify this by connecting about 4 volts to my unit.

      have fun.

      --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "frans.plugge"
      <frans.plugge@...> wrote:

      > Thank you all for your reactions. Let me elaborate it little more on
      > my findings.
      >
      > I've checked the interface setting and it was set to NMEA in/out at
      > 4800 baud. With a normal serial cable for the GPSMAP 60CS I
      > established normal communication between the GPS and the PC (via
      > Hyperterminal). All the NMEA sentences came through perfectly.
      > Then I made a cable with only three wires: Rx, Tx and Ground (pins
      > 2,3 and 5 on both sides). I used this cable between the standard
      > serial cable and the PC and again I established normal communication
      > (even tested it with a cross cable between two PC with
      > Hyperterminal).
      > So finally I tested the situation, where the receiving unit (in this
      > case the PC) only had a Rx and Ground wire. Therefore I disconnected
      > the Tx wire in the experimental wire. And communication stopped. As
      > soon as I connected it again, communication resumed. For good
      > measure I also disconnected the Rx wire (no surprise there, no
      > comm.) and disconnected the ground wire (again no comm., no
      > surprise).
      > When I use the same experimental cable with only a Rx and Ground
      > cable with my old Etrex unit, it works perfectly. So I'm inclined to
      > assume it must be the firmware of the GPSMAP 60CS. I have installed
      > version 4.20 which did not solve the problem.
      >
      > Frans
      >
      > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "ruggb66" <ruggb66@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not familiar with this problem, BUT
      > >
      > > the comm interface is actually THREE wires
      > > Rx
      > > Tx
      > > Ground
      > >
      > > so communication can be full duplex, but I don't think it is.
      > > The format NMEA or GARMIN simply reflects the data format this
      > > exchange has and also what data can be obtained from the GPS.
      > >
      > > In your case only Rx and Ground are used
      > > Rx = NMEA+
      > > Ground = NMEA-
      > >
      > > This is actually a RS422 balanced connection, not RS232. But it
      > workes
      > > with + to Rx and - to ground.
      > >
      > > The VHF is most likely looking for 4800 baud in NMEA format.
      > >
      > > Since u didn't specify I can only ass-u-me that u are not
      > connecting
      > > the ground to the NMEA-.
      > >

      > > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, Gary Turner
      > > <g.turner@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm only guessing/thinking - but I would have thought that NMEA
      > > would be constant transmit-only, but that the default garmin
      > protocol
      > > could be question/response.
      > > >
      > > > Was the GPS in NMEA mode, or Garmin mode?
      > > >
      > > > Being 2-wire only, the comms must use software handshake. I guess
      > > your radio must be able to simply suck up all the data. There
      > would be
      > > no way otherwise to send any XON/XOFF's.

    • ruggb66
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
        SORRY pin 7 is RTS not pin 6 - that is DSR. If it has voltage on it
        then the unit is a DCE.