Getting a warning as you approach each point in a route

  • newsperryman newsperryman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
      I have just been speaking to Garmin Tech Support about my new GPS 60
      CSX. The person admitted that he was new in the job, and had to get
      advice, but I think that I may have been given the wrong answer.

      Even as far back as the GPS 12 XL when you're navigating a route, and
      approaching a waypoint you could get the GPS to beep when you were 50
      metres from the point. I was told that with the GPS 60 series you
      could choose 10 waypoints from the route and set goes up as proximity
      waypoints, and get a warning as you approached those 10 points, but
      that there is no way to get the GPS to tell you as you approach each
      one of the waypoints in a route.

      Can this be true? Have they really remove such a basic feature from
      the GPS 60 series? I'm off on a walking holiday in 40 hours' time, so
      if it is possible to set this feature up a have liked to know how to
      do it before I go.

      Thanks in advance for any advice

      Michael Perryman
    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
        They are wrong, the 60CSX has a pop-up, and (as far as I know) a beep
        for every damn waypoint on a route. Annoys the heck out of me, because
        there is actually no way to switch off the popup, which will 'eat' one
        press of the enter key when it happens (so if you were entering
        something with the keypad, without looking, you miss a letter).

        If you go to the 'setup' page (menu, menu) you will see 'tones', which
        is where you can decide what noises you want when. I have mine all
        muted, but I'm sure you get at least a 'message' beep when you approach
        a waypoint (when I'm walking, typically 20m before .. call it 3-4
        seconds). If you are road navigating you also get 'turn' warnings,
        (early and late) but it won't do that in 'off road' mode.

        If you really want 50m instead of 20m, I guess they may be right about
        you needing to use proximity waypoints, but if 20m will do I am sure it
        is there already.

        I don't use beeps because I normally have my MP3 player plugged in and
        wouldn't hear them anyway. Beeping also eats more battery than not
        beeping.

        D.

        Bitstring <c7e753a0709030744t799cb5ecga513168d85ce5323@...>,
        from the wonderful person newsperryman newsperryman
        <newsperryman@...> said
        >I have just been speaking to Garmin Tech Support about my new GPS 60
        >CSX. The person admitted that he was new in the job, and had to get
        >advice, but I think that I may have been given the wrong answer.
        >
        >Even as far back as the GPS 12 XL when you're navigating a route, and
        >approaching a waypoint you could get the GPS to beep when you were 50
        >metres from the point. I was told that with the GPS 60 series you
        >could choose 10 waypoints from the route and set goes up as proximity
        >waypoints, and get a warning as you approached those 10 points, but
        >that there is no way to get the GPS to tell you as you approach each
        >one of the waypoints in a route.
        >
        >Can this be true? Have they really remove such a basic feature from
        >the GPS 60 series? I'm off on a walking holiday in 40 hours' time, so
        >if it is possible to set this feature up a have liked to know how to
        >do it before I go.
        >
        >Thanks in advance for any advice
        >
        >Michael Perryman

        GSV Three Minds in a Can
        9,423 Km walked. 1,827Km PROWs surveyed. 33.2% complete.
      • annoyedone
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "newsperryman
          newsperryman" <newsperryman@...> wrote:

          > I was told that with the GPS 60 series you could choose 10
          > waypoints from the route and set goes up as proximity
          > waypoints, and get a warning as you approached those 10 points...

          The tech is confusing two separate features.

          The 60C & 76C series can have up to 10 proximity waypoints. These are
          ordinary waypoints with a programmable radius. The unit can, if
          enabled, warn you that you're entering/leaving (independently on the
          x-models) the circular area defined by the radius. That said these
          alerts have nothing to do with routes.

          As GSV pointed out waypoint/via's that are part of a route (not just
          near it) do result in a popup and audible alert (if enabled) as a "turn".
        • newsperryman newsperryman
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
            Oh well can't have everything perfect. Thanks a lot.

            Michael