Loose USB connector

  • ruggb66
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
      Is there any history of loose USB connectors on this unit.

      Mine is physically loose and has broken the solder connection on the
      PCB resulting in a very intermittent connection with any movement.

      It appears the mechanical connection to the PCB for the connector is
      non existent.

      Will Garmin fix this as a warranty issue?
    • Gary Turner
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
        Yes. Mine did that on my 60CS - that's why I am particularly careful with plugging/unplugging my CSX!

        Garmin fixed mine under warranty - but it was still within the warranty period.

        Having since seen (doing a cosmetic case swap) how the USB connector works, I'm surprised that it did break loose - as it's reasonably well soldered on - although as you say - there is no mechanical connection other than the soldering. That is probably quite deliberate - as it's part of the environmental sealing of the case.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
          On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:42:00 -0000, "ruggb66" <ruggb66@...>
          wrote:

          >Is there any history of loose USB connectors on this unit.
          >
          >Mine is physically loose and has broken the solder connection on the
          >PCB resulting in a very intermittent connection with any movement.
          >
          >It appears the mechanical connection to the PCB for the connector is
          >non existent.
          >
          >Will Garmin fix this as a warranty issue?

          I had that problem a couple of years ago. Sent it in and they fixed it
          free even though it was long out of warranty. That's one of the reason
          I'm a Garmin fan.

          ken@...
        • Robert Lipe
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
            On 8/29/07, ruggb66 <ruggb66@...> wrote:
            Is there any history of loose USB connectors on this unit.

            Yes.  It's a common problem, especially on the earlier models.

            No promises, but a number of people with units wildly out of warranty have reported Garmin happily RMA'ing products with known products (etrex joystick failures, bad rubber gaskets, loose streetpilot connectors, etc.)  It's worth the effort to call.  Be nice.   Make it easy for them to make you happy.