Re: [GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS] 60CX fades away and shuts down

  • Auke Koopmans
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi GSV,

      Using Alkaline batteries and the GPS has been set to that type. Running Software version 3.20 and GPS SW version 2.70.

      I have tried a fresh set of alkaline batteries but the same problem occurs - as long as you don't touch the GPS the unit stays on but the moment you touch anything at the GPS it powers down.

      Offroadlanna in Thailand and Laos

      On 6/30/07, GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@...> wrote:

      Bitstring <f64jl4+4db0@...>, from the wonderful person AK
      <auke.mapping@...> said
      >Sinetime I can power it up again but sometimes it just stays dead.
      >However if I run it on external power there is no problem whatsoever.
      >Thought it would be the infamous battery problem with the clips but
      >the shut down also happens even when I have it on a pillow or so
      >without any vibrations. Could the contact internally be the problem?
      >or is there anything else. It is still in warranty but, as I live in
      >Thailand, I probably have to send it to Taiwan for repairs which will
      >take 2-3 weeks or so with all the shipping.
      >
      >Any advice?

      What firmware are you running? Do you have the battery type set
      correctly? What battery type(s) are you actually using??

      --
      GSV Three Minds in a Can
      8,963 Km walked. 1,746Km PROWs surveyed. 31.7% complete.

    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
        Sounds like a 'return it to garmin and get it fixed' type issue then.
        You can see what caused the shutdowns from the debug screen (from trip
        computer page, move the joystick up, right, down, left, and keep going
        until you get the page that lists reasons for crashing - I say 'keep
        going' because I've forgotten which one really comes first)

        Bitstring <b69453df0707011838p315bf5a3w4d62cdaf0cd5b4b6@...>,
        from the wonderful person Auke Koopmans <auke.mapping@...> said
        >Hi GSV,
        >
        >Using Alkaline batteries and the GPS has been set to that type. Running
        >Software version 3.20 and GPS SW version 2.70.
        >
        >I have tried a fresh set of alkaline batteries but the same problem occurs -
        >as long as you don't touch the GPS the unit stays on but the moment you
        >touch anything at the GPS it powers down.
        >
        >Offroadlanna in Thailand and Laos
        >

        >On 6/30/07, GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Bitstring <f64jl4+4db0@... <f64jl4%2B4db0%40eGroups.com>>, from
        >> the wonderful person AK
        >> <auke.mapping@... <auke.mapping%40gmail.com>> said
        >> >Sinetime I can power it up again but sometimes it just stays dead.
        >> >However if I run it on external power there is no problem whatsoever.
        >> >Thought it would be the infamous battery problem with the clips but
        >> >the shut down also happens even when I have it on a pillow or so
        >> >without any vibrations. Could the contact internally be the problem?
        >> >or is there anything else. It is still in warranty but, as I live in
        >> >Thailand, I probably have to send it to Taiwan for repairs which will
        >> >take 2-3 weeks or so with all the shipping.
        >> >
        >> >Any advice?
        >>
        >> What firmware are you running? Do you have the battery type set
        >> correctly? What battery type(s) are you actually using??
        >>
        >> --
        >> GSV Three Minds in a Can
        >> 8,963 Km walked. 1,746Km PROWs surveyed. 31.7% complete.

        --
        GSV Three Minds in a Can
        8,963 Km walked. 1,746Km PROWs surveyed. 31.7% complete.
      • earlwg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          Any chance the batteries could be making poor contact in the battery
          compartment? That would account for intermittent shutdown.

          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "AK" <auke.mapping@...>
          wrote:

          > Sinetime I can power it up again but sometimes it just stays dead.
          > However if I run it on external power there is no problem
          whatsoever.
          > Thought it would be the infamous battery problem with the clips but
          > the shut down also happens even when I have it on a pillow or so
          > without any vibrations. Could the contact internally be the problem?
          > or is there anything else. It is still in warranty but, as I live in
          > Thailand, I probably have to send it to Taiwan for repairs which
          will
          > take 2-3 weeks or so with all the shipping.
          >
          > Any advice?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Offroadlanna

        • Auke Koopmans
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
            Thanks for the hint. In the Debug screen (by the way it is first screen after the rocker up, right, down, left movement) I have a lot of Abnormal Shutdown statements so I guess  my toy will have to go back to Garmin.

            It is not a battery problem in the battery compartment as I have checked this and the unit shuts down just by touching a button or the GPS itself. Actually at this moment it even does not power up unless I have hooked it up to external power so I guess  it is an internal  problem  - if I understand it correctly, the connection internally between the batteries and the GPS is a kind of sliding contact (not fixed or soldered) and I guess that there lies the problem.

            Anyway, will send it back to Garmin.

            Thanks for the help

            On 7/2/07, GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@... > wrote:

            Sounds like a 'return it to garmin and get it fixed' type issue then.
            You can see what caused the shutdowns from the debug screen (from trip
            computer page, move the joystick up, right, down, left, and keep going
            until you get the page that lists reasons for crashing - I say 'keep
            going' because I've forgotten which one really comes first)

            Bitstring <b69453df0707011838p315bf5a3w4d62cdaf0cd5b4b6@... >,
            from the wonderful person Auke Koopmans <auke.mapping@...> said
            >Hi GSV,
            >
            >Using Alkaline batteries and the GPS has been set to that type. Running
            >Software version 3.20 and GPS SW version 2.70.
            >
            >I have tried a fresh set of alkaline batteries but the same problem occurs -
            >as long as you don't touch the GPS the unit stays on but the moment you
            >touch anything at the GPS it powers down.
            >
            >Offroadlanna in Thailand and Laos
            >

            >On 6/30/07, GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Bitstring <f64jl4+4db0@... <f64jl4%2B4db0%40eGroups.com>>, from
            >> the wonderful person AK
            >> <auke.mapping@... <auke.mapping% 40gmail.com>> said

            >> >Sinetime I can power it up again but sometimes it just stays dead.
            >> >However if I run it on external power there is no problem whatsoever.
            >> >Thought it would be the infamous battery problem with the clips but
            >> >the shut down also happens even when I have it on a pillow or so
            >> >without any vibrations. Could the contact internally be the problem?
            >> >or is there anything else. It is still in warranty but, as I live in
            >> >Thailand, I probably have to send it to Taiwan for repairs which will
            >> >take 2-3 weeks or so with all the shipping.
            >> >
            >> >Any advice?
            >>
            >> What firmware are you running? Do you have the battery type set
            >> correctly? What battery type(s) are you actually using??
            >>
            >> --
            >> GSV Three Minds in a Can
            >> 8,963 Km walked. 1,746Km PROWs surveyed. 31.7% complete.

            --
            GSV Three Minds in a Can
            8,963 Km walked. 1,746Km PROWs surveyed. 31.7% complete.

          • Rick McNelly
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
              Mine had the "screen fade out" problem when mounted on my motorcycle
              handlebars, and running on battery power. A replacement from Garmin
              developed the same problem within a month.

              The solution was to open the
              unit, clean the gold pads on the motherboard, and put a small amount of
              conductive "bulb" grease on the pads.

              For some reason, Garmin did not hardwire the battery contacts to the
              motherboard. Instead the chrome battery tabs press on the gold tabs,
              but develop little black marks from the intermittent contact if the
              unit is experiencing a lot of vibration, or bouncing around. Once the
              marks are there the problem gets worse and worse until you can just
              press on the back or sides of the unit and cause the "screen fade".
              The problem does not occur when using external power.

              The above solution worked perfectly, and mine has never displayed the
              problem again.

              Rick McNelly
              Chesapeake, VA