60CSx broken screen

  • joe.stillwell
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
      I was riding my mountain bike today and crashed down a rocky hill. My 60CSx went flying
      then I landed right on top of it and heard a nice crunch. The screen is shattered. Other than
      the screen the device works perfectly. I brought it home and hooked it up to my laptop. I can
      navigate with it using nRoute and upload/download in Mapsource. Has anyone on the list had
      to replace a screen on one of these before? How much did it cost? I hope I don't have to buy a
      new one. This one is only a month old. :(

      Thanks,
      Joe
    • tvnav.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
        It's possible Garmin may take care of it but if not their flat rate
        repair on the 60CSx is $175.00
        (http://www.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html). Sorry to hear about the
        accident.

        Darrel Goheen
        GPS@...
        http://www.tvnav.com
        Voice 785-625-3546/FAX 413-383-8800

        >I was riding my mountain bike today and crashed down a rocky hill. My 60CSx
        >went flying
        > then I landed right on top of it and heard a nice crunch. The screen is
        > shattered. Other than
        > the screen the device works perfectly. I brought it home and hooked it up
        > to my laptop. I can
        > navigate with it using nRoute and upload/download in Mapsource. Has anyone
        > on the list had
        > to replace a screen on one of these before? How much did it cost? I hope I
        > don't have to buy a
        > new one. This one is only a month old. :(
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joe

      • GSV Three Minds in a Can
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          Bitstring <eq3656+hjhh@...>, from the wonderful person
          joe.stillwell <joe.stillwell@...> said
          >I was riding my mountain bike today and crashed down a rocky hill. My
          >60CSx went flying
          >then I landed right on top of it and heard a nice crunch. The screen is
          >shattered. Other than
          >the screen the device works perfectly. I brought it home and hooked it
          >up to my laptop. I can
          >navigate with it using nRoute and upload/download in Mapsource. Has
          >anyone on the list had
          >to replace a screen on one of these before? How much did it cost? I
          >hope I don't have to buy a
          >new one. This one is only a month old. :(

          Bad luck! I believe Garmin have a fixed price repair policy - contact
          them. Do you not have personal effects/all risks cover on your household
          insurance .. if you do, it ought pay out.

          --
          GSV Three Minds in a Can
          7,627 Km walked. 1,352Km PROWs surveyed. 24.6% complete.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
              I was in a similar situation with mine, I basically fell on it and
              cracked the screen. I called Garmin and just said the screen doesn't
              come on any more and they gave me an RMA number. I sent them the unit
              and they turned it in about 7 days and I got a new unit in the mail (I
              knew b/c the serial number changed). Give that a shot. Mine was also
              no more than 1-2 months old, I felt horrible about it, then relieved!
              I will be a Garmin customer for life b/c of the great experience.

              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "joe.stillwell"
              <joe.stillwell@...> wrote:

              > I was riding my mountain bike today and crashed down a rocky hill.
              My 60CSx went flying
              > then I landed right on top of it and heard a nice crunch. The screen
              is shattered. Other than
              > the screen the device works perfectly. I brought it home and hooked
              it up to my laptop. I can
              > navigate with it using nRoute and upload/download in Mapsource. Has
              anyone on the list had
              > to replace a screen on one of these before? How much did it cost? I
              hope I don't have to buy a
              > new one. This one is only a month old. :(
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Joe

            • Mark Dundon
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
                I know it's not going to help you now but something like this may prevent it happening again:

                http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3037.html

                Mark

                On 03/02/07, joe.stillwell <joe.stillwell@...> wrote:

                I was riding my mountain bike today and crashed down a rocky hill. My 60CSx went flying
                then I landed right on top of it and heard a nice crunch. The screen is shattered. Other than
                the screen the device works perfectly. I brought it home and hooked it up to my laptop. I can
                navigate with it using nRoute and upload/download in Mapsource. Has anyone on the list had
                to replace a screen on one of these before? How much did it cost? I hope I don't have to buy a
                new one. This one is only a month old. :(

                Thanks,
                Joe

              • Caroline Danon
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2007
                  A nice link but Take Care!
                  This is a very clumsy thing.  It is very hard to use the rocker key and the other keys and also the plastic is very shiny, so very hard to see in the sun... I had the case and I dumped it after a while in the garbage.
                  I now have a normal carrying case with a soft inside for the carrying only.
                  For on the bike and motorcycle I take the risc on using the 60CSx barely.

                  I guess that situations like Mark's are not the common "landing" types when you fall of your mountain bike.
                  Fact is: accidents happen.  You'd better work on your Karma...  (this is intented as a non-offending joke.. :-) ).  Anyway, my regrets that it happened to you.

                  yours,
                  Caroline

                  --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dundon" <mark.dundon@...> wrote:

                  > I know it's not going to help you now but something like this may prevent it
                  > happening again:
                  >
                  > http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3037.html
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > On 03/02/07, joe.stillwell joe.stillwell@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was riding my mountain bike today and crashed down a rocky hill. My
                  > > 60CSx went flying
                  > > then I landed right on top of it and heard a nice crunch. The screen is
                  > > shattered. Other than
                  > > the screen the device works perfectly. I brought it home and hooked it up
                  > > to my laptop. I can
                  > > navigate with it using nRoute and upload/download in Mapsource. Has anyone
                  > > on the list had
                  > > to replace a screen on one of these before? How much did it cost? I hope I
                  > > don't have to buy a
                  > > new one. This one is only a month old. :(
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Joe

                • Marjory
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 16, 2007
                    Looks like the one I got from Amazon.com -
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076QA6K/002-6969970-5143236

                    I don't think it would help for a direct shot to the screen, as it
                    isn't a hard shell. I'll also mention that I tried it once, but had
                    to take it off to access the connection for the USB cable, so I never
                    put it back. However, in a dirty location, it would be useful.

                    Marjory