Saving time stamps in track logs -- How do I configure?

  • clmbikski
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
      Forgive me if I am asking an obvious question...

      Currently my saved tracks consist of only positional information
      (Alt/Lat/Long). Is there a way to configure the unit so that it also
      saves the time stamps along with the Alt/Lat/Long? Mapsource seems to
      support tracks that include time info (ie there are summary fields for
      elapsed time and avg speed) but my unit is presently not saving time
      stamp info and therefore the tracks that transfer over only have
      distance and area summary info.

      I'd like to have summary info (similar to what is available on the
      trip computer page) for every saved track available both on the unit
      and to those I xfer to Mapsource. Any hints on how to do this?

      Thanks in advance!

      ps. I have loaded the latest firmware.
    • GSV Three Minds in a Can
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
        Bitstring <epvmjt+ntqo@...>, from the wonderful person clmbikski
        <clmbikski@...> said
        >Forgive me if I am asking an obvious question...
        >
        >Currently my saved tracks consist of only positional information
        >(Alt/Lat/Long). Is there a way to configure the unit so that it also
        >saves the time stamps along with the Alt/Lat/Long? Mapsource seems to
        >support tracks that include time info (ie there are summary fields for
        >elapsed time and avg speed) but my unit is presently not saving time
        >stamp info and therefore the tracks that transfer over only have
        >distance and area summary info.
        >
        >I'd like to have summary info (similar to what is available on the
        >trip computer page) for every saved track available both on the unit
        >and to those I xfer to Mapsource. Any hints on how to do this?
        >
        >Thanks in advance!
        >
        >ps. I have loaded the latest firmware.

        AFAIK the time information is dumped when the track goes from 'active
        track' to one of the saved ones. I know of no way round it. OTOH if you
        buy yourself a 60Cx/Csx you can save the tracks to the microSD card (as
        well as saving them in the active log), which'll give you up a 1GB of
        saved track data, however you can only get it back via a PC, the unit
        itself can't read what it wrote to the card.

        --
        GSV Three Minds in a Can
        7,627 Km walked. 1,352Km PROWs surveyed. 24.6% complete.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
          From: "clmbikski" <clmbikski@...>
          > Forgive me if I am asking an obvious question...
          >
          > Currently my saved tracks consist of only positional information
          > (Alt/Lat/Long). Is there a way to configure the unit so that it also
          > saves the time stamps along with the Alt/Lat/Long? Mapsource seems to
          > support tracks that include time info (ie there are summary fields for
          > elapsed time and avg speed) but my unit is presently not saving time
          > stamp info and therefore the tracks that transfer over only have
          > distance and area summary info.

          If you transfer the currently "Active" tracklog directly to MapSource (or other software programs) then it'll include the time/datestamp data. However, if you first 'save' the tracklog data on your 60c/cs and then transfer it the time/date data will be removed and it'll also be a simplified version of the track with fewer points.

          So to get the complete data you want to transfer the data to MapSource *without* doing any 'Save' operation on the GPS receiver. Of course this can be a problem on a long trip if you have no access to a PC along the way since you may run out of space in the 10,000 point Active Log. But in most circumstances you should be able to set up the track recording properties so you don't run out of points and can keep all the track data in the Active Log until you get to a PC.