Mapping Software

  • Hamilton Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
      I am looking for the best, simplist solution for the following problems.

      1. Sharing tracks with other users, printing them on maps and aerial
      photos.

      2. Importing tracks from other users.

      3. Ability to switch between 3d topo and 3d aerial photos

      4. Ability to use 1:24,000 topos on Garmin 60 CS.

      5. Ability to associate digital phots with waypoints and display them
      when clicked on.

      I know some of this has been covered before but I have had trouble
      teasing it out of the archives.

      Thank you.
    • prathman@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
        From: "Hamilton Moore" <moore.hd@...>
        > I am looking for the best, simplist solution for the following problems.
        >
        > 1. Sharing tracks with other users, printing them on maps and aerial
        > photos.
        >
        > 2. Importing tracks from other users.

        Are these 'other users' people who would agree to use a common set of software or would you want to do this without needing to have such common platforms.

        There are a variety of websites that facilitate exchange of tracklogs. A couple examples are www.everytrail.com which emphasizes sharing of trip experiences along with pictures and notes in addition to the tracks, and www.trailregistry.com which focuses more on hiking trails with more emphasis on the tracklogs.

        > 3. Ability to switch between 3d topo and 3d aerial photos

        Google Earth is a good way to see 3D photo views. DeLorme's TopoUSA and 3DTopoQuads are good for seeing both topo map and photo views. The 3D-TopoQuad maps are based on USGS1:24000 series maps and are far more detailed than the TopoUSA ones. Neither will let you transfer the maps themselves to a Garmin GPS receiver.

        > 4. Ability to use 1:24,000 topos on Garmin 60 CS.

        Garmin offers these for National Park and selected other recreation areas. You can also create your own topomaps with equivalent detail for use on Garmin receivers by following the instructions at:
        http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

        > 5. Ability to associate digital phots with waypoints and display them
        > when clicked on.

        The www.everytrail.com site mentioned above supports that.
      • clarencedold
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
          --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton Moore"
          <moore.hd@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for the best, simplist solution for the following
          problems.

          > 1. Sharing tracks with other users, printing them on maps and
          > aerial photos.

          This would be handled by saving your track as a gpx file, for the
          most part. The GPX is text, so you could email it or post it.
          http://topografix.com/gpx has a list of other programs that use gpx
          directly, including gpsbabel, which further translates other program
          formats.

          Some of the track and waypoint sharing sites use gpx, and favor
          easygps.com as a free gpx editor.

          If the others that you share with don't have a program already, they
          could use Google Earth for display.

          http://www.chrislacy.net/map works to display GPX files in fireFox,
          but doesn't work with Internet Explorer. It follows a track on
          screen, but doesn't scroll the screen when it gets to the edge...
          Pretty good, though.

          > 2. Importing tracks from other users.

          gpx would be good for that, or gpsbabel could probably translate.

          > 5. Ability to associate digital phots with waypoints and display
          > them when clicked on.

          That would be part of Google Earth.

          > I know some of this has been covered before but I have had trouble
          > teasing it out of the archives.

          That's because everyone has assembled their own set of favorites.
          I use Garmin Mapsource, ExpertGPS, and Google Earth.

          ---
        • Marjory
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2007
            --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "clarencedold" <dold@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton Moore"
            > <moore.hd@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am looking for the best, simplist solution for the following
            > problems.

            > > 5. Ability to associate digital phots with waypoints and display
            > > them when clicked on.
            >
            > That would be part of Google Earth.

            Something called Earthmate Image Tagger came with the DeLorme topo
            program I bought. Its help file says "an easy-to-use program that
            lets you link your digital photographs to a GPS log so you can see
            exactly where you took a picture along your trip." I gave it one try
            without any success, and haven't gotten back to it since. You can
            Google it to learn more.

            Marjory
          • johnatyson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2007
              --- In GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS@yahoogroups.com, "Marjory" <marjory1@...>
              wrote:
              > Something called Earthmate Image Tagger came with the DeLorme topo
              > program I bought. Its help file says "an easy-to-use program that
              > lets you link your digital photographs to a GPS log so you can see
              > exactly where you took a picture along your trip." I gave it one try
              > without any success, and haven't gotten back to it since. You can
              > Google it to learn more.
              >
              > Marjory

              I had pretty much the same experience with Earthmate Image Tagger; if
              someone has actually been able to use it, maybe they could explain it to
              us :-)

              John
            • clarencedold
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
                wrote:
                > Something called Earthmate Image Tagger came with the DeLorme topo
                > program I bought.

                I try to stay away from propietary add-ons from one vendor. They make
                it hard to share things. I've abandoned Delorme, so I would be out of
                step with my own notes if I had used a Delorme product for photo
                tagging.

                I was thinking more of the photos from http://earth.google.com/showcase/

                I'm not even sure what I added to my google Earth installation, but I
                see little "camera" buttons in various places, that pop up photos that
                have been shared by the Google Earth Community.